There are 233 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Just take the best RT available and find a kicker later.

Either in later rounds, in FA, off the streets, via trade or wait for veteran cuts.

If it were that simple no team would have kicking problems, ask the Cowboys, as bad he was, they could find a good kicker to replace him with and he cost them at least several games which could have been the difference in their season.
I love Moody. Big leg, and was always clutch too.
Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Why can't anyone answer this, but everyone is angry at the pick?

yes. he was the best K in the draft. Do a quick Google search of "best Kicker NFL draft prospects" and you'll see a consensus if not unanimous opinion Moddy was #1. People are mad because they took him in the 3rd. You don't take a K in the 3rd. They did. He's the best. We didn't have a 4th. I'm fine with it now.

Not to mention the Pats took a K about 15 picks later. If they wanted Moody, that's where they had to take him. Maybe younger fans don't know what it is like to go through a season with a bad kicker…
Originally posted by WildBill:

Either in later rounds, in FA, off the streets, via trade or wait for veteran cuts.

If it were that simple no team would have kicking problems, ask the Cowboys, as bad he was, they could find a good kicker to replace him with and he cost them at least several games which could have been the difference in their season.

Idk why people think a dependable kicker is just everywhere. Lol they're not easy to find and will cost you several games, especially in the playoffs.

we also saved our selves like $4M a year
[ Edited by tankle104 on Apr 29, 2023 at 4:31 PM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:
Anyone who thinks he would of been available later is fooling themselves. He was the kicker we liked and wanted, you get those guys. It's essentially a fourth round pick, where the best kickers go often, 7 picks after the third officially ended. I love it and am glad we got the guy we wanted

Ansolutetly!
The pick was early no doubt, but if you use your football brain and realize how instrumental Gould was in so many of the niners wins... you have a realization of why they made that pick.

Now a 4th for a punter... F that. But moody doing what he does and winning those hard points... I can see a 3rd considering its basically a 4th anyways. They must of thought the raiders were just as crazy cause I would of swapped the position of picking him.
Originally posted by Karma:
Not to mention the Pats took a K about 15 picks later. If they wanted Moody, that's where they had to take him. Maybe younger fans don't know what it is like to go through a season with a bad kicker…

Got one fan who picked a username after the worst kicker in 9ers history. Boggles the mind.

Idk why people think a dependable kicker is just everywhere. Lol they're not easy to find and will cost you several games, especially in the playoffs.

This, don't know how people still are crying over this when Belichick would've clearly scooped him up before we picked again in the 5th where most the draft experts here think a kicker should be taken. The fact is this team desperately needed a kicker, they got the best one, saved money, got younger and couldn't risk losing him.
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:

This, don't know how people still are crying over this when Belichick would've clearly scooped him up before we picked again in the 5th where most the draft experts here think a kicker should be taken. The fact is this team desperately needed a kicker, they got the best one, saved money, got younger and couldn't risk losing him.

We are trying to make a super bowl run. We need someone we really like and believe in for the playoffs. I think Belichick def would of taken him, per reports

im also in the school of thought that after the first two rounds, if you get anyone who turns into a really good contributor, regardless of the position, it's a good pick.

if this kid was great for crazy ass harbaugh, he should transition here perfectly.
Originally posted by Karma:
Originally posted by kansasninerfan:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Why can't anyone answer this, but everyone is angry at the pick?

yes. he was the best K in the draft. Do a quick Google search of "best Kicker NFL draft prospects" and you'll see a consensus if not unanimous opinion Moddy was #1. People are mad because they took him in the 3rd. You don't take a K in the 3rd. They did. He's the best. We didn't have a 4th. I'm fine with it now.

Yeah, it's basically a 4th round pick since it's a late comp. The whole sky is falling crowd is kinda funny. The guy was remarkably consistent and is likely to be a solid to great player for us. It's a position of need and now the money saved will help us with other areas of the team. Most late 3rd early 4th guys don't amount to much, so I don't really see this as a big deal.

"I don't know if they told you the specific incident, but when we worked him out privately, he did like a last-second rush out on the field, field goal. The thing was all messed up. The laces were the wrong way, he didn't care, kicked it right through the uprights, 50-yards. So those are the things you can do, but you don't really know until they're in that moment." - Adam peters
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:
17 pages for a kicker lol.

Kickers are the s**t. Just, ask Eisen.

He definitely made it sound like Moody (significantly) adds to our chances of getting to the SB
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Seriously this is a underrated pick. We can't stress enough knowing how important a good kicker is to find.
"I don't know if they told you the specific incident, but when we worked him out privately, he did like a last-second rush out on the field, field goal. The thing was all messed up. The laces were the wrong way, he didn't care, kicked it right through the uprights, 50-yards. So those are the things you can do, but you don't really know until they're in that moment." - Adam peters

Haha, that is a cool story!
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by tjd808185:

Seriously this is a underrated pick. We can't stress enough knowing how important a good kicker is to find.

I think we just got a stud kicker for the next 10+ years!

and hopefully we can finally get some damn touchbacks. 28th in the league is a joke. If we can finally get touchbacks, it'll help us mitigate injuries on special teams, and prevent teams from getting good field position and/or scoring on returns.
Share 49ersWebzone