There are 242 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
https://youtu.be/N1xaujT8ffg
he hit two clutch field goals at the end of the Illinois game to win it and he hit a 59 yarder in the CFP.

i think we have a reliable kicker! Harbaugh had this dude kicking field goals it was going out of style, lmao
Originally posted by tankle104:
he hit two clutch field goals at the end of the Illinois game to win it and he hit a 59 yarder in the CFP.

i think we have a reliable kicker! Harbaugh had this dude kicking field goals it was going out of style, lmao

He has plenty of leg, that's for sure.

Having trouble classifying him
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Good ole Mustache Moody 😏
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Hell yeah! I'm pumped for this draft class
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Good ole Mustache Moody 😏

It's not a Ray Wersching
This guy completed almost all of his kicks below 49 yards and I think like half 50+ attempts. He hit a 59 yarder in the CFP.

Harbaugh had him attempting some really tough kicks and in rough weather sometimes.

I like this kid a lot and am really glad we nabbed him. Sucks we used a third but I think us fans will appreciate it as time goes on. Especially him hopefully being clutch like he was in college.

Id be curious how often he was in tough situations vs the other kicker last taken in the third. When you're just kicking during games randomly but not relied on like moody was, it may be why the pressure got to him and he hasn't been very good in the nfl.
Harbaugh has probably been terrorizing this kid mentally for years, which should work to our benefit. Hahah
[ Edited by tankle104 on Apr 29, 2023 at 10:35 PM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Hell yeah! I'm pumped for this draft class

Right through the middle too.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I love Moody. Big leg, and was always clutch too.

Seriously this is a underrated pick. We can't stress enough knowing how important a good kicker is to find.

I think we just got a stud kicker for the next 10+ years!

and hopefully we can finally get some damn touchbacks. 28th in the league is a joke. If we can finally get touchbacks, it'll help us mitigate injuries on special teams, and prevent teams from getting good field position and/or scoring on returns.

Either touchbacks or get the kick to the goal line with a lot of hang time similar to a punt, which is not easy to do. So that coverage team be in the face TO or bad field position.
This guy completed almost all of his kicks below 49 yards and I think like half 50+ attempts. He hit a 59 yarder in the CFP.

Harbaugh had him attempting some really tough kicks and in rough weather sometimes.

I like this kid a lot and am really glad we nabbed him. Sucks we used a third but I think us fans will appreciate it as time goes on. Especially him hopefully being clutch like he was in college.

Id be curious how often he was in tough situations vs the other kicker last taken in the third. When you're just kicking during games randomly but not relied on like moody was, it may be why the pressure got to him and he hasn't been very good in the nfl.
Harbaugh has probably been terrorizing this kid mentally for years, which should work to our benefit. Hahah

Well with the Patriots taking the Maryland kicker at 112, Shanahan picking Moody at 99 was brilliant.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

Well with the Patriots taking the Maryland kicker at 112, Shanahan picking Moody at 99 was brilliant.

It's just bad picking a kicker no matter who we beat to it. They are a dime a dozen.

Akers, Dawson and Gould were all undrafted.

Guys like Vinateri, Tucker undrafted.

When all the best kickers are undrafted, it almost automatically makes the pick unjustifiable unless this dude is going to be the best kicker of all time
[ Edited by CharlieSheen on Apr 30, 2023 at 7:03 AM ]
Hahaha!
Originally posted by CharlieSheen:

It's just bad picking a kicker no matter who we beat to it. They are a dime a dozen.

When all the best kickers are undrafted, it almost automatically makes the pick unjustifiable unless this dude is going to be the best kicker of all time

Or, if you need a kicker and you know that the best one/maybe only one that you think might be worth something is going to get drafted, you may as well draft him.

Sure some of the best kickers were undrafted. But I'm sure if we ran the numbers, the fail rate of undrafted kickers is higher than the success rate. Just as the fail rate of all undrafted players is higher than the success rate. At least in terms of making the 53 man roster and having an actual NFL career of any longevity.

It's kind of like saying, "the best WR and maybe player of all time came from Mississippi Valley State so just camp out there every year and find their best player(s).

The entire draft is a crap shoot, as we know. Kendrick Bourne was a better player than Rashaun Woods. Brock Purdy is better than Jim Druckenmiller was. Matt Brieda was better than Joe Williams.

We needed a kicker and they took a kicker. Generally regarded as one of the best if not the best available. He's worked with Robbie Gould. Kinda impressive looking at his bio his freshman year at Michigan he handles kickoffs and the first game he's asked to actually attempt field goals he sets a Michigan record I believe by drilling six of them. Kid is probably pretty good. No one is going to complain we drafted him in the third round if he's a Pro Bowl or All Pro kicker, or even if he has Robbie Gould type accuracy in the clutch but no official honors.

If kickers were truly a dime a dozen multiple teams wouldn't go into each season wondering if they were good enough there and playoff kickers wouldn't be double doinking chip shots and missing 4 extra points in a game.

And actually, maybe the greatest, or one of the greatest, kickers of all time, in the Hall of Fame, Morten Andersen, was drafted in the fourth round.

Kid deserves a shot to succeed at a position of need. We can give him that shot. Or we can whine and moan on the internet. I know that can be fun sometimes.
Originally posted by OhioNiner:

Or, if you need a kicker and you know that the best one/maybe only one that you think might be worth something is going to get drafted, you may as well draft him.

Sure some of the best kickers were undrafted. But I'm sure if we ran the numbers, the fail rate of undrafted kickers is higher than the success rate. Just as the fail rate of all undrafted players is higher than the success rate. At least in terms of making the 53 man roster and having an actual NFL career of any longevity.

It's kind of like saying, "the best WR and maybe player of all time came from Mississippi Valley State so just camp out there every year and find their best player(s).

The entire draft is a crap shoot, as we know. Kendrick Bourne was a better player than Rashaun Woods. Brock Purdy is better than Jim Druckenmiller was. Matt Brieda was better than Joe Williams.

We needed a kicker and they took a kicker. Generally regarded as one of the best if not the best available. He's worked with Robbie Gould. Kinda impressive looking at his bio his freshman year at Michigan he handles kickoffs and the first game he's asked to actually attempt field goals he sets a Michigan record I believe by drilling six of them. Kid is probably pretty good. No one is going to complain we drafted him in the third round if he's a Pro Bowl or All Pro kicker, or even if he has Robbie Gould type accuracy in the clutch but no official honors.

If kickers were truly a dime a dozen multiple teams wouldn't go into each season wondering if they were good enough there and playoff kickers wouldn't be double doinking chip shots and missing 4 extra points in a game.

And actually, maybe the greatest, or one of the greatest, kickers of all time, in the Hall of Fame, Morten Andersen, was drafted in the fourth round.

Kid deserves a shot to succeed at a position of need. We can give him that shot. Or we can whine and moan on the internet. I know that can be fun sometimes.

Jerry Rice is an anomaly. Just look around the league, plenty of undrafted guys doing well. History shows you don't need to waste a pick for a great kicker. This guy will have to be a top 2 kicker for 15+ years to make this somewhat okay. Even then you can often get that undrafted
Originally posted by OhioNiner:

Jerry Rice is an anomaly. Just look around the league, plenty of undrafted guys doing well. History shows you don't need to waste a pick for a great kicker. This guy will have to be a top 2 kicker for 15+ years to make this somewhat okay. Even then you can often get that undrafted

There are teams that consistently struggle to find a reliable kicker. If what you say is true, then there wouldn't be a bad kicker in the league, which is of course b******t. And it's not as though it's a position that doesn't have an enormous impact of games. How many times over the years have we seen entire games and seasons placed on a kicker's shoulders? I don't want to be rolling out a dude that doesn't have the goods upstairs to handle that kind of pressure. It'll look like a bargain if Moody because med one of the best in the league.
Share 49ersWebzone