There are 241 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Haha let's gooooo!

LMAO the harbaugh voice over at the end was perfect.

Your college coach Jim Harbaugh coached here. What has he told you about the organization and about being in California?

"Well, he hasn't talked about his NFL days too much, but from what I know he really enjoyed it out there. He took the team really far while he was there. He's only said good things about it, so I'm just really looking forward to getting there and seeing it for myself." -- Jake Moody

Originally posted by scooterhd:
some of the failures of kickers taken somewhat early in the draft. All hyped up, great college careers, some Lou Groza finalists. Some of them even turned out pretty good, but just not for the team that drafted them. Easy to get impatient and move on from a guy during a bad streak. Point being, kickers just like any other position can and will fail and bust out. Moody is no lock to even win the job. Zane was a drafted kicker as well, Lou Groza winner, unanimous All American, all time Pac 12 points leader, 5th on the NCAA all time points list. 81% make percentage for his career. If it werent for some quad injuries, hes probably have a steady job.

2020 draft, Patriots select Justin Rohrwasser at pick 159. Is cut in training camp. Pats draft kicker again in 2023.
2019 draft, Bucs select Matt Gay at 145. NFL talent, but cut after 1 year and now bouncing around the league.
2019 draft, Browns select Austin Seibert at pick 170. Cut after a year. Free agent right now if you want him. Browns draft kicker again in 2022.
2018 draft, Daniel Carlson at 167 by the Vikings. Released after 2 games. Turned into a nice kicker but not for the team that drafted him.
2017 draft, Jake Elliot taken at 153 by the Bengals. Cut in training camp. Eagles pick him up and turns into a good kicker but not for his original team.
2016 draft, Bucs take Aguayo at 59. Third most accurate kicker in NCAA history, never missed a extra point in college. Cut after one year.
2013 draft, Dolphins take Caleb Sturgis at 166. Cut after 2 seasons.
2013 draft, Bills take Dustin Hopkins at 177. Groin pull rookie year, gets cut after the season. Bounces around after that.
2012 draft, Texans take Randy Bullock at 161. Cut after 3 years. NFL talent but bouncing around the league.
2011 draft, Eagles select Alex Henery at 120. Had 2 good years before struggling and being cut.
2008 draft, Taylor Melhaff is first kicker off the board at 178. Cut in training camp.
2007 draft, Justin Medlock is first kicker off at 160 to the Chiefs. Cut after a bad preseason game.
2007 draft, Nick Folk is taken at 178 by the Cowboys. decent career, but released by Cowboys after 3 seasons and bounced around the league.
2005 draft, Mike Nugent is taken at 47 by the Jets. Couple decent years before getting cut and having more productive seasons with the Bengals with 6 other teams mixed in there.
2002 draft, 49ers select Jeff Chandler at 102. Released after one season...

Now do that for 6,7 and UDFA kickers and we'll have some perspective on all that good work you did.
I find it funny when Lynch says they didn't want to reach for tackle in the third round. I guess they do not think it's a reach drafting a kicker in the third round. I think it's a huge reach drafting a kicker in the third. It's a jumping the shark kind of reach. Only 3 kicker where draft. They could have waited maybe missed out on Moody but still drafted one of the 3 best kicker in the draft. How many undrafted kicker are there in the league right now? Your telling me there was not a CB or LB or any other position player that could have help this team that could have been drafted in the third round. This was we need a kicker lets draft one now reach of a pick if I have ever since one.
[ Edited by dlance on Apr 30, 2023 at 8:33 PM ]
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Now do that for 6,7 and UDFA kickers and we'll have some perspective on all that good work you did.

Why ? A 6,7, UDFA kicker being cut is nothing out of the ordinary. If anything, it prevents team from clinging to them. It's pretty obvious to anyone who has followed drafts that for position players, it is far more likely that 6,7, udfa are not good than a third rounder isn't good. For kickers, it's about the same

If Moody struggles and is costing 49ers games, will they have the cojones to cut him mid-season ? Will they put two kickers on the roster ?
If a great college kicker doesn't become a great NFL kicker it's because of a serious injury or they are just not mentally strong. Hopefully they did their homework on him as a person and his mentality. Because that's going to determine his success or failure. How will he be after he misses a key FG? Because it will happen. All kickers miss.
Money Moody.... LFG
some of the failures of kickers taken somewhat early in the draft. All hyped up, great college careers, some Lou Groza finalists. Some of them even turned out pretty good, but just not for the team that drafted them. Easy to get impatient and move on from a guy during a bad streak. Point being, kickers just like any other position can and will fail and bust out. Moody is no lock to even win the job. Zane was a drafted kicker as well, Lou Groza winner, unanimous All American, all time Pac 12 points leader, 5th on the NCAA all time points list. 81% make percentage for his career. If it werent for some quad injuries, hes probably have a steady job.

2020 draft, Patriots select Justin Rohrwasser at pick 159. Is cut in training camp. Pats draft kicker again in 2023.
2019 draft, Bucs select Matt Gay at 145. NFL talent, but cut after 1 year and now bouncing around the league.
2019 draft, Browns select Austin Seibert at pick 170. Cut after a year. Free agent right now if you want him. Browns draft kicker again in 2022.
2018 draft, Daniel Carlson at 167 by the Vikings. Released after 2 games. Turned into a nice kicker but not for the team that drafted him.
2017 draft, Jake Elliot taken at 153 by the Bengals. Cut in training camp. Eagles pick him up and turns into a good kicker but not for his original team.
2016 draft, Bucs take Aguayo at 59. Third most accurate kicker in NCAA history, never missed a extra point in college. Cut after one year.
2013 draft, Bills take Dustin Hopkins at 177. Groin pull rookie year, gets cut after the season. Bounces around after that.
2012 draft, Texans take Randy Bullock at 161. Cut after 3 years. NFL talent but bouncing around the league.
2011 draft, Eagles select Alex Henery at 120. Had 2 good years before struggling and being cut.
2008 draft, Taylor Melhaff is first kicker off the board at 178. Cut in training camp.
2007 draft, Justin Medlock is first kicker off at 160 to the Chiefs. Cut after a bad preseason game.
2007 draft, Nick Folk is taken at 178 by the Cowboys. decent career, but released by Cowboys after 3 seasons and bounced around the league.
2005 draft, Mike Nugent is taken at 47 by the Jets. Couple decent years before getting cut and having more productive seasons with the Bengals with 6 other teams mixed in there.

Yeah, finding a long term quality kicker is not an easy task. Remember when we signed a no body to replace gould for the seattle game and he shanked it so bad it went down the tunnel!? Lol

i know picking him in the third isn't sexy or fun, but whatever it takes to get a kicker we believe in. I think picked the right guy and if so, we should be good for a decade+. If not, well eff it. We missed on 8 other third rounder out of 9 here (not including our most recent three of Gray, Davis-Price, Ambry).
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Money Moody.... LFG

I like "Mad Leg Moody". Hahaha but only Harry Potter fans will get it. It's a play on Mad Eye Moody.

https://www.google.com/search?q=mad+eye+moody&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS824US825&oq=mad+eye&aqs=chrome.0.0i433i512j69i57j0i512l8.6564j0j7&hl=en-US&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Why ? A 6,7, UDFA kicker being cut is nothing out of the ordinary. If anything, it prevents team from clinging to them. It's pretty obvious to anyone who has followed drafts that for position players, it is far more likely that 6,7, udfa are not good than a third rounder isn't good. For kickers, it's about the same

If Moody struggles and is costing 49ers games, will they have the cojones to cut him mid-season ? Will they put two kickers on the roster ?

Why? That should be obvious… maybe it's even harder to find a good kicker in the later rounds. I don't know the numbers but if they fail 3x more in the later rounds and you absolutely need one for a Super Bowl run this year than maybe it's worth it to pay extra to increase your odds.

Speaking of the brain trust… we'll have the Carolina kicker this off season so for insurance we'll have a kicker familiar with our team in case the early round guy doesn't work out and we have to bring him in.
Jake Moody needs to continue the pre-game ritual of of kicking it over opposing team's heads during warm ups / pre-game.

He kicked for Harbaugh, a nut. I really don't doubt Moody's mental toughness/fortitude.
49ers needed and wanted a kicker. They got the one they wanted. I am glad for that.

Don't stress my guy. We have more 3rd round comp picks next year if Moody doesn't work out.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Don't stress my guy. We have more 3rd round comp picks next year if Moody doesn't work out.

From what I can tell from Moody's clips… his attitude and talent will make him a fan favorite. We love kickers with moxie.
If he bombs right away it was a 3rd round comp. If he's good we found a starter in the bottom of the 3rd. I imagine any other position we could have drafted would not be doing much starting against this roster so I get the logic.

In the end we need to see him under pressure and hopefully he delivers.
Why? That should be obvious… maybe it's even harder to find a good kicker in the later rounds. I don't know the numbers but if they fail 3x more in the later rounds and you absolutely need one for a Super Bowl run this year than maybe it's worth it to pay extra to increase your odds.

Speaking of the brain trust… we'll have the Carolina kicker this off season so for insurance we'll have a kicker familiar with our team in case the early round guy doesn't work out and we have to bring him in.

We're not going to carry 2 kickers on the roster though, so even considering that your 3rd round pick might be cut before the season might hint at how good of a pick that was or wasnt...
Share 49ersWebzone