There are 315 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
People need to chill. It was a 3rd round compensatory pick. Good kickers are hard to find, and I'd rather roll the dice on Moody than sign a 38 year old journeyman. If all else fails, they can go with Gonzalez, which is acceptable.
Last year, the Niners drafted Ty Davis-Price with the 93rd pick (Moody was 99th), and he looks below average so far. Drafting is an inexact science. Usually, you have to play the waiting game until players are good enough to play regularly, and sometimes, that doesn't happens. Moody has a good chance to start right away. Many fans wanted them to draft a RT, but all of the o-lineman available when Moody was drafted have significant flaws. Trading back into the 4th would have been difficult because of the lack of draft capital, and it's worth noting that the Patriots drafted a kicker with the 10th pick in the 4th round (They also had the 5th pick, and drafted a center).
The more I look at it, the more I like this draft for us. Also, sometimes it's better to disagree with some of these so-called draft experts (Mayok), so don't let the bad draft grades bring you down. Ji'Ayir Brown alone should make you very excited!
[ Edited by doc_brown_ on May 1, 2023 at 2:09 PM ]
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
People need to chill. It was a 3rd round compensatory pick. Good kickers are hard to find, and personally, I'd rather roll the dice on Moody than sign a 38 year old journeyman. If all else fails, they can go with Gonzalez, which is acceptable.
Last year, the Niners drafted Ty Davis-Price with the 93rd pick (Moody was 99th), and he looks below average so far. Drafting is an inexact science, and sometimes, you have to play the waiting game until players are good enough to play regularly, and sometimes, that doesn't happens. Moody has a good chance to start right away. Many fans wanted them to draft a RT, but all of the o-lineman available when Moody was drafted have significant flaws. Trading back into the 4th would have been difficult because of the lack of draft capital, and it's worth noting that the Patriots drafted a kicker with the 10th pick in the 4th round (They also had the 5th pick, and drafted a center).
The more I look at it, the more I like this draft for us. Also, sometimes it's better to disagree with some of these so-called draft experts (Mayok), so don't let the bad draft grades bring you down. Ji'Ayir Brown alone should make you very excited!

Good post!
This was a very late 3rd round pick. Maybe if they had an early 4th round pick they would have gambled that he would still be there but their next pick was the 20th pick in round 5. They needed a kicker and rather than gamble that one would still be available they went for who was considered the best in college last year.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Idk why people think a dependable kicker is just everywhere. Lol they're not easy to find and will cost you several games, especially in the playoffs.

we also saved our selves like $4M a year

Fantasy football, it's easy to go waiver wire hunting each week
Originally posted by Shorteous:
Idk why people think a dependable kicker is just everywhere. Lol they're not easy to find and will cost you several games, especially in the playoffs.

we also saved our selves like $4M a year

Fantasy football, it's easy to go waiver wire hunting each week
if you draft your team correctly, you don't even need a kicker
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
if you draft your team correctly, you don't even need a kicker

Exactly!!!!
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:
17 pages for a kicker lol.

• thl408
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:

Wait until he misses his first kick or kicks off to the 5 yard line. +10 pages within 5 minutes.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by random49er:
If there is an interesting topic at all in this thread,....it's the comparison of these 2 guys. Perhaps someone in the know can further expand on where the Bucs went wrong on Aguayo and why Moody is more of a sure bet at about 7yrs and 40 spots lower.

Aguayo made like 89% of his 78 kicks @ FSU,...yet was pretty abysmal in the NFL.

Aguayo got broken mentally. Thats why choosing a kicker is such a crapshoot. You never know who will fall apart upstairs and once that happens, it's over.

Yeah so much is mental for a kicker. There will be a stretch where a kicker misses a few. Can he forget and move past it? There's really only one way to know if a kicker has that mental toughness.

Last night I suggested that playing in the Big House (100,000 ) for Jim Harbaugh in quite a few big games is probably about as good a recommendation for mental toughness as could be expected.

Harbaugh is why I'm confident in this guy. Crazy Jim doesn't tolerate soft people. This guy has balls encased in iron, because if he didn't he wouldn't have been on Harbaugh's team.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I love Moody. Big leg, and was always clutch too.

Seriously this is a underrated pick. We can't stress enough knowing how important a good kicker is to find.

I think we just got a stud kicker for the next 10 years!

and hopefully we can finally get some damn touchbacks. 28th in the league is a joke. If we can finally get touchbacks, it'll help us mitigate injuries on special teams, and prevent teams from getting good field position and/or scoring on returns.
100%. People are underestimating how important that is. It hurt our team more than some believe.

Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Having trouble classifying him

How about "The Moody?"

Originally posted by Niners99:
The only entertaining thing Grant Cohn has ever put out.

Respectfully disagree. His "BREAKING NEWS! It's such and such date, and Jimmy Garoppolo... IS STILL A 49ER" stuff was pretty funny.

Wait until he misses his first kick or kicks off to the 5 yard line. +10 pages within 5 minutes.

Oh people are going to blow a gasket. Lol I personally am a fan of picking him.

im not a big draft researcher, but the little bit I did - I was hoping we would get Brown and Moody. For the first time in my life we picked more than one guy I was hoping for. Lol

kicker is Uber important and we wouldn't of got the guy our team thought was the best fit and best kicker.

i understand wanting a sexier position in the third round but Moody will probably have the biggest impact in our upcoming season out of everyone drafted. We also historically suck at picking in the third.

so far, we've only hit on 1/9 third round picks. Looks like it'll be 1/12 (Gray, Davis-Price, & Ambry are still unknown). I'm very optimistic that Brown, Moody, and Latu are about to change our third round luck.

Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by random49er:
If there is an interesting topic at all in this thread,....it's the comparison of these 2 guys. Perhaps someone in the know can further expand on where the Bucs went wrong on Aguayo and why Moody is more of a sure bet at about 7yrs and 40 spots lower.

Aguayo made like 89% of his 78 kicks @ FSU,...yet was pretty abysmal in the NFL.

Aguayo got broken mentally. Thats why choosing a kicker is such a crapshoot. You never know who will fall apart upstairs and once that happens, it's over.

Yeah so much is mental for a kicker. There will be a stretch where a kicker misses a few. Can he forget and move past it? There's really only one way to know if a kicker has that mental toughness.

Last night I suggested that playing in the Big House (100,000 ) for Jim Harbaugh in quite a few big games is probably about as good a recommendation for mental toughness as could be expected.

Harbaugh is why I'm confident in this guy. Crazy Jim doesn't tolerate soft people. This guy has balls encased in iron, because if he didn't he wouldn't have been on Harbaugh's team.

Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I love Moody. Big leg, and was always clutch too.

Seriously this is a underrated pick. We can't stress enough knowing how important a good kicker is to find.

I think we just got a stud kicker for the next 10 years!

and hopefully we can finally get some damn touchbacks. 28th in the league is a joke. If we can finally get touchbacks, it'll help us mitigate injuries on special teams, and prevent teams from getting good field position and/or scoring on returns.
100%. People are underestimating how important that is. It hurt our team more than some believe.

Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Having trouble classifying him

How about "The Moody?"

Originally posted by Niners99:
The only entertaining thing Grant Cohn has ever put out.

Respectfully disagree. His "BREAKING NEWS! It's such and such date, and Jimmy Garoppolo... IS STILL A 49ER" stuff was pretty funny.

I lost brain cells watching that video. I should've know better
Here are his highlights.

The more you watch him, the more you'll feel comfortable when he lines up in a pressure situation. There were a few moments defenders came flying in, but he calmly got the kick off and made it.
The 49ers said kickers go in the 4th but history actually shows they typically go rounds 5-7 (despite this year and the Pats/Ryland).

In the last 18 years, Jake Moody is the 2nd highest drafted kicker at #99 only second to Robert Aguayo who was picked at #59. You have to go all the way back to 2005 and Mike Nugent to find a kicker drafted #47.

Despite this, I still don't mind the pick if the guy becomes a good and reliable kicker for us. His direct comp is going to be Chad Ryland #112 to the Pats since passing on Moody probably meant losing out on him for Ryland.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:

... the Niners drafted Ty Davis-Price with the 93rd pick, and he looks below average so far. Drafting is an inexact science.

The Ty Davis Price pick was a blatantly outrageously stupid pick. TDP was projected as a 6th rd pick, but 9ers picked him at 93 !
Down right idiotic ... but just because they made a stupider pick last year doesn't justify the mildly stupid Moody pick

Of course, Moody could turn out to be a very good pick if he excels
[ Edited by maxsmart on May 2, 2023 at 1:34 AM ]
I heard on one of the 49ers podcasts that last year he was like 26 for 28 on fields goals within the 50 which rounds up to a 93% efficiency rate. By comparison, Steph Curry's career free throw efficiency rate rounds up to 91%. If you watch Curry, you know his free throws are damn near automatic. Couple this with the fact that he has a leg that can hit 60 yarders, constantly get the Niners touchbacks and he did all this while playing in the state of Michigan where weather is terrible, we should be excited.
Share 49ersWebzone