There are 248 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Leathaface:
The 49ers said kickers go in the 4th but history actually shows they typically go rounds 5-7 (despite this year and the Pats/Ryland).

In the last 18 years, Jake Moody is the 2nd highest drafted kicker at #99 only second to Robert Aguayo who was picked at #59. You have to go all the way back to 2005 and Mike Nugent to find a kicker drafted #47.

Despite this, I still don't mind the pick if the guy becomes a good and reliable kicker for us. His direct comp is going to be Chad Ryland #112 to the Pats since passing on Moody probably meant losing out on him for Ryland.

BINGO!
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
The 49ers said kickers go in the 4th but history actually shows they typically go rounds 5-7 (despite this year and the Pats/Ryland).

In the last 18 years, Jake Moody is the 2nd highest drafted kicker at #99 only second to Robert Aguayo who was picked at #59. You have to go all the way back to 2005 and Mike Nugent to find a kicker drafted #47.

Despite this, I still don't mind the pick if the guy becomes a good and reliable kicker for us. His direct comp is going to be Chad Ryland #112 to the Pats since passing on Moody probably meant losing out on him for Ryland.

BINGO!

I think outside of round 1-2, where the top talent is more obvious - or at least you know which players will be selected in those two rounds, you attack the players you want.

i have 0 issue with is taking the best kicker in the draft and someone our coaching staff really believes in. Especially in this draft where there weren't many great prospects, just a lot of guys who can likely contribute after their developed.

He's the next vinateri (however it's spelled) hahaha
Meh, only reason Hoodie traded up was b/c our FO locked in on a freaking PK in the 3rd round. Like with Wishnowsky, had we waited until the 5th, Hoodie would have taken the better player in the 6th like he did with Jake Bailey.

Hoodie had free reign to trade up too for Moody as well. No chance.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 2, 2023 at 3:45 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Meh, only reason Hoodie traded up was b/c our FO locked in on a freaking PK in the 3rd round. Like with Wishnowsky, had we waited until the 5th, Hoodie would have taken the better player in the 6th like he did with Jake Bailey.

I think bb would of snagged him if we didn't get him. I would bet on it.

he settled for a way worse kicker like 13 spots later.

nope, belichick woulda taken him in the 4th. good move by lynch

This is such a weird reading of the situation. The mental gymnastics you have to pull off to put down our FO while avoiding to put down the Patriots is impressive.
Originally posted by Chance:

This is such a weird reading of the situation. The mental gymnastics you have to pull off to put down our FO while avoiding to put down the Patriots is impressive.

Simply follow the P situation. Mitch Wishnowsky was a "generational special teams weapon." Yet nobody else used a high pick on him. Not even Hoodie. Naturally if 2 or 3 players are coveted, the second one goes, the other must follow. No doubt had we waited until the 5th, Hoodie would have followed. But nobody but us prioritizes a P or PK that high.

Simply follow the P situation. Mitch Wishnowsky was a "generational special teams weapon." Yet nobody else used a high pick on him. Not even Hoodie. Naturally if 2 or 3 players are coveted, the second one goes, the other must follow. No doubt had we waited until the 5th, Hoodie would have followed. But nobody but us prioritizes a P or PK that high.

That's faulty logic. You're basing this on assumptions that neither you or I know to be true. Correlation isn't causation.

it's just ironic to me that you're literally blaming the Niners FO for forcing one of the best coaches in history to pick kickers and punters rounds early. It's a comically bad take from a guy who seemingly justified any move Baalke made.
[ Edited by Chance on May 2, 2023 at 4:30 PM ]

Agreed both FOs made a stupid choice.

That's not true. I remember the Patriots taking that Stanford punter Jake Bailey in the draft shortly after we took Wish. And the same reasoning was used taking Wish at that time, because they were afraid of someone else taking him before we pick again. Ironically, it's the same team with the Patriots as the team taking a kicker shortly after we took Moody lol. That said; I agree with you and would never draft a f**kin kicker or a punter before the 7th round
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Time will tell.
^ Disregard NC, I saw your other post about it now after the fact
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Time will tell.

Time proved Mitch was a mistake and I'm sure it will prove this was as well.

That's faulty logic. You're basing this on assumptions that neither you or I know to be true. Correlation isn't causation.

it's just ironic to me that you're literally blaming the Niners FO for forcing one of the best coaches in history to pick kickers and punters rounds early. It's a comically bad take from a guy who seemingly justified any move Baalke made.

You're basing an assumption Hoodie would have traded up for him at 100 like Kyle noted. Nope. He didn't before. Why now? For all we know he has his guy rated higher and had to now trade up for him because he was next off the board after we took Moody at 3 and there was at least one other team who needed a P/K.

Not even Baalke would take a PK in the 3rd and a P in the 4th.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 2, 2023 at 4:45 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone