There are 176 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Whats wrong with picking up an instant starting player on this stacked team ?

Why attempt for a first down on 3rd down when a lot of times it fails?
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49ers81:
You could have ended the discussion right there. That's exactly the point. Like Andy Lee drafted in the 6th round. You got less skills and less production from a 4th rounder.

It's generally not a huge ordeal.

The topic is value and what you passed on as well as the PK's taken later (4th-UDFA's) and did they do better in the end?

Stay tuned, but I'll stick with history, probability and patterns of this FO and what that's told me.

So far, you're 0-1. Hopefully you'll be right on this one but to question fans questioning the value of this pick is comical.

Take the Tankle approach and say you feel its a great pick without the defamation of others. Take a 'chance.'

And what exactly did we pass on? This comes up every time a player gets drafted that someone thinks isn't as "good a value" as someone else who might have been available at that spot. It 's true of many players but especially true of the kickers we have selected in the last few years. The problem is that no one is willing to identity who they think that "someone else" might be. it's all just a bunch of vague talk about "better value".

When people were bellyaching and bedwetting about the Wishnowsky pick I said, fine, pick "A PLAYER" who was available at that spot that they thought would have been a better choice and at the end of the season we can see who ended up making more of a contribution to their respective teams. No one took me up on the offer because a lot of fourth round picks end up contributing nothing. And no, you can't go back now and cheery pick some player who ended up outperforming their draft position and saying, see they could have had this guy.

I made the same proposition when they drafted Moody, who was a compensatory third round pick at a number that would have, under normal circumstances, put the selection in the fourth round, but again, no one has taken me up on the offer. They just come in here and complain about how taking a kicker isn't "good value". They needed a kicker, so they got a kicker, I honestly don't see what all of the handwringing is about, especially this year. Without any picks until the end of the third round the chances of the team picking ANYONE in this draft who would turn out to be a day one starter on that roster was pretty small.

Placekickers generally lead their teams in scoring every year. They are in a position to have an impact on whether or not a team wins or loses a game every time they step on the field. How is that less valuable than a fourth round selection who might end up on the practice squad for three years, or is a rotational player who gets 15 snaps a game? Outside of the first two rounds maybe I think the only way to judge a player is do they end up contributing or not. It makes absolutely no difference to me where they were drafted.

In their first year, I think, the FO went after that kid Williams in the third and picked up Breida as a UDFA. Two running backs, one contributed one didn't. Same with Sermon and Mitchell. If the goal was to get a running back out of that draft then they succeeded, just not at the pick they might have envisioned. "But, but, but if they hadn't picked Sermon they could have had unidentified player x who would have ended up being a better "value" and Mitchell as well". Honestly, it's just all grist for the mill for people who are more invested in the "process" of the draft then they are in the outcome for the team.

I can honestly say that, outside of briefly wondering if DK Metcalf might have been a better pick than Samuel the year they came out (he probably wasn't in terms of how those respective teams are built), I have never once thought about how the team "could have had", this guy or that guy. It doesn't bother me one bit that they didn't draft Patrick Mahomes, it's all pointless hindsight. I prefer to root for the team we have rather than some imaginary team we might have had if only things had gone differently.

The 49ers have a long history of recycling other team's kickers and I have always hoped that one day they would select one of their own who would carve out his own niche as "the guy". Maybe Moody will be the one, in which case he will have been well worth the pick. Even if he isn't I suspect he will end up contributing more to the team than a lot of other players they might have selected there would have. In which case he will have still been well worth the pick. Go Niners!

You tell me? What could this team have needed back in 2019 on a Superbowl run over an below-average punter (at that time) at 110?

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/nfl-draft-picks-2019-complete-draft-results-rounds-1-3/1rm4xh2zhcdb11ode47x52k1x2

You can play the exact same exercise this year in 2023 on a similar roster. What did we need more at 99?

All that said, I hope the same as you do. Like Wish, I do like the player and time did and will, tell.

Well, that's the point right? Who did we need more that was available at that spot? I don't follow college football AT ALL so I really have no idea who any of these guys are outside of the handful that get talked up a lot in the run up to the draft. Given that I have to assume that the guys on the team who are tasked with doing that type of analysis are better qualified to make the call than I am.

Lynch has already said that they were interested in tackles but all of the ones they considered worthwhile were gone by the time they selected at which point, it can be assumed, that they believed Moody represented greater potential value to the team than anyone else they could have drafted at that spot. There was also the legitimate concern that he wouldn't be available by the time they picked in the 5th round. If you want a player and think he'll help your team than why wait. Take him while you can rather than wait for someone who might have been your 3rd, 4th or 5th choice at the position? That's what UDFA's are for.

I'm not the one who is complaining about the pick, I'm not well versed in who else might have been available at that spot to offer up an alternative so I am asking, legitimately, for someone to say here is a guy that would have been better and fills a need and will end up making more of an immediate contribution than a player at a position that has the opportunity to impact the outcome of a game every time he walks onto the field. It's a pretty straight forward proposition.

That's fair. Nobody is complaining about the player though. Just questioning the value esp. bumped up against our own 3rd round woes, what history has told us about taking P/PK's high and what Wishnowsky taught us when we went through this exercise last time.

It's genuinely not that big of a deal but contrary to Chance calling people idiots, it's more than fair to question it and look at all the angles more closely this time around.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

cause it works 60% of the time, all the time

Surely, you can't be serious.
All kicks, makes and misses:

Don't call me Shirley

Don't call me Shirley

Bam, you got it!
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Props to whomever put that whole thing together. Thanks Jim Harbaugh!

it was a logical draft pick given the need and his talent

As a former kicker, I'll share some commentary here.

Misses timestamps:
0:52 from 62 yards out (was dead center, but short)
1:15 from 43, wide left (plant foot pointed too far left with wind blowing left, thus the hook)
2:00 from 26 yards (too low for such a short kick - got blocked)
3:33 from 50 yards (solid contact, was moving inside and a sudden gust pushed it back outside a hair, a bit of bad luck with the wind IMO)
3:50 from 50 yards (kicking foot placement was not far enough inside the ball. Probably goes in on an NFL hash though.)
6:40 from 57 yards (plant foot seemed to roll up a bit on him at the last second likely affecting his balance into the strike. This would've made it from shorter, but hooked and drifted just wide at the last second)

So all in all, I'd say 4 of this year's 6 misses were really ones where I could solidly knock him for, technique and execution wise. Only 3 were inaccurate (wide) and one of those was from 57. Everything else was either bad luck or a bit of a long-shot to begin with.

The kick at 5:20 was absolutely HUGE. Not just the game, but Michigan's CFB Playoff hopes and undefeated season were on the line. He hit it right down the middle. Aside from the one miss from 57, he was automatic in the playoffs/bowl games. Overall assessment? Legitimately the best K in the draft and not a one-year wonder.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

it was a logical draft pick given the need and his talent

they had to draft a PK because they missed out on the kid from Florida who now w/the Bengals.

Misses timestamps:
1:15 from 43, wide left (plant foot pointed too far left with wind blowing left, thus the hook)
3:33 from 50 yards (solid contact, was moving inside and a sudden gust pushed it back outside a hair, a bit of bad luck with the wind IMO)
3:50 from 50 yards (kicking foot placement was not far enough inside the ball. Probably goes in on an NFL hash though.)
6:40 from 57 yards (plant foot seemed to roll up a bit on him at the last second likely affecting his balance into the strike. This would've made it from shorter, but hooked and drifted just wide at the last second)

So all in all, I'd say 4 of this year's 6 misses were really ones where I could solidly knock him for, technique and execution wise. Only 3 were inaccurate (wide) and one of those was from 57. Everything else was either bad luck or a bit of a long-shot to begin with.

The kick at 5:20 was absolutely HUGE. Not just the game, but Michigan's CFB Playoff hopes and undefeated season were on the line. He hit it right down the middle. Aside from the one miss from 57, he was automatic in the playoffs/bowl games. Overall assessment? Legitimately the best K in the draft and not a one-year wonder.

Outstanding. Well freaking done. And now I learned something new about you.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Meh, only reason Hoodie traded up was b/c our FO locked in on a freaking PK in the 3rd round. Like with Wishnowsky, had we waited until the 5th, Hoodie would have taken the better player in the 6th like he did with Jake Bailey.

Hoodie had free reign to trade up too for Moody as well. No chance.

You mean the guy that they ended up cutting?

Hoodie has higher standards. Wishnowsky is pretty average too.

I don't remember the last time Hoodie had a good draft; he's trash at drafting 😂

If he's trash at drafting, and he wanted to draft Moody..

Thant honestly made me feel a little better about the pick thl, thanks! Lasted about 27 seconds though

I'm mostly playing...just reminding fans that the justification for Wishnowsky was that he was more then just a P; he was a ST weapon. It turns out he's not. He's just a solid P.

Now we justify taking Moody because he's a generational PK. Let's pump the brakes. Odds are he's just a solid PK.

At worst, Moody will add touchbacks and/or good hangtime on kickoffs, something we haven't really had the last 5 years or so.

wish is a major disappointment in my opinion. He had a solid year last year but he only does well when he's punting from good position. When the offense is backed up and he has to punt, he isn't very good, which is when we need him most. I kinda wish we would upgrade from him.

That's not "at worst". At worst he misses field goals when the team needs it most. If he's kicking a bunch of touchbacks while missing field goals, cut him.

When I said "at worst" I meant at what he will add. You're right though, as a whole, at worst he is a disaster. Hahaha missing everything.

He will be held to a high standard on kicks because of who he is replacing, Robbie was super accurate. So I hope he gets off to a strong start field goal wise. The touchbacks and all that should Happen, if they don't, that's a problem.

Hahaha that's an anchor man quote. I say it all the time at work.

Misses timestamps:

Outstanding. Well freaking done. And now I learned something new about you.

OnTheClock - there is a kick you commented on (I bolded it up above), you said it would of made it on an NFL hash, can you explain that? Are the field sizes or uprights bigger in the nfl than college?
Share 49ersWebzone