There are 297 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Whats wrong with picking up an instant starting player on this stacked team ?

Why attempt for a first down on 3rd down when a lot of times it fails?
cause it works 60% of the time, all the time

Surely, you can't be serious.

Hahaha that's an anchor man quote. I say it all the time at work.

So good. It's also the old Airplane line. "Surely you can't be serious."

"I am serious. And don't call me Shirley!"
Classic harbaugh

Oh. Hahaha well my age is showing 😶. I always wondered where that saying came from. I've always worked with people much older than me and have heard that, but never knew where it was from. Haha

Oh. Hahaha well my age is showing 😶. I always wondered where that saying came from. I've always worked with people much older than me and have heard that, but never knew where it was from. Haha

You aged yourself? 'I' aged myself. LMAO!
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Classic harbaugh

That's fantastic. His one liners were always classic.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

it was a logical draft pick given the need and his talent

Huh? he wasn't even the best kicker…I mean was he like the highest rated kicker in the past decade? Because only one dude has gone higher. he at least happened to be one of the most accurate kickers in college history and still failed miserably. Drafting a kicker is such a stupid thing.

Drafting for need instead of the BPA.

He was an 83% kicker last yr, which would have been good for 23rd in the league.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

He was an 83% kicker last yr, which would have been good for 23rd in the league.

He made like 97% of all his kicks ever 40 yards or less, including PAT. Pretty much all of his misses were 45+ yards or more. Some misses were just tough kicks in tough winds. Some misses were just bad form.

made all of his clutch and/or game winning kicks too.
[ Edited by tankle104 on May 4, 2023 at 6:41 PM ]
  • thl408
He made like 97% of all his kicks ever 40 yards or less, including PAT. Pretty much all of his misses were 45+ yards or more. Some misses were just tough kicks in tough winds. Some misses were just bad form.

Is this for real? If so, that's what separates a good kicker from an excellent kicker.

Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

it was a logical draft pick given the need and his talent

Huh? he wasn't even the best kicker…I mean was he like the highest rated kicker in the past decade? Because only one dude has gone higher. he at least happened to be one of the most accurate kickers in college history and still failed miserably. Drafting a kicker is such a stupid thing.

Drafting for need instead of the BPA.
Where we were picking i doubt that BPA would start, let alone last years on this team
That's fair. Nobody is complaining about the player though. Just questioning the value esp. bumped up against our own 3rd round woes, what history has told us about taking P/PK's high and what Wishnowsky taught us when we went through this exercise last time.

It's genuinely not that big of a deal but contrary to Chance calling people idiots, it's more than fair to question it and look at all the angles more closely this time around.

I'm not calling people idiots. I just don't think it's healthy to take such strong stances before someone steps on the field. It's not idiocy, it's just misplaced confidence in one's own opinion. For better or worse, I tend to trust the collection of guys that make up our front office over people who know everything on the internet. My apologies for my tone and what my words imply.

Oh wow, 83% huh? Weird little coincidence, but I believe that was also Justin Tucker's career FG percentage at Texas... before he became the best kicker on earth

Exactly this.

Also - Robbie Gould was an 84% FG kicker last year - and that's with a long of 51 yards.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
All kicks, makes and misses:

Props to whomever put that whole thing together. Thanks Jim Harbaugh!

As a former kicker, I'll share some commentary here.

Misses timestamps:
0:52 from 62 yards out (was dead center, but short)
1:15 from 43, wide left (plant foot pointed too far left with wind blowing left, thus the hook)
2:00 from 26 yards (too low for such a short kick - got blocked)
3:33 from 50 yards (solid contact, was moving inside and a sudden gust pushed it back outside a hair, a bit of bad luck with the wind IMO)
3:50 from 50 yards (kicking foot placement was not far enough inside the ball. Probably goes in on an NFL hash though.)
6:40 from 57 yards (plant foot seemed to roll up a bit on him at the last second likely affecting his balance into the strike. This would've made it from shorter, but hooked and drifted just wide at the last second)

So all in all, I'd say 4 of this year's 6 misses were really ones where I could solidly knock him for, technique and execution wise. Only 3 were inaccurate (wide) and one of those was from 57. Everything else was either bad luck or a bit of a long-shot to begin with.

The kick at 5:20 was absolutely HUGE. Not just the game, but Michigan's CFB Playoff hopes and undefeated season were on the line. He hit it right down the middle. Aside from the one miss from 57, he was automatic in the playoffs/bowl games. Overall assessment? Legitimately the best K in the draft and not a one-year wonder.

Outstanding. Well freaking done. And now I learned something new about you.

OnTheClock - there is a kick you commented on (I bolded it up above), you said it would of made it on an NFL hash, can you explain that? Are the field sizes or uprights bigger in the nfl than college?

The hashes are wider and farther out sideways from the posts in college. NFL hashes align right on with the uprights.

Upright sizes are the same though.

Personally I think it's harder to kick from a wide hash than a narrow hash. The more you have to push or pull the ball, the more precise both feet need to be.

I kicked with a modified straight ahead style. Old school square toe.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on May 4, 2023 at 10:46 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone