There are 277 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
It will be nice to know we only have to get to the other teams 40 yard line to be in fg range.
[ Edited by JTB1974 on May 4, 2023 at 10:53 PM ]
Originally posted by Chance:
Originally posted by NCommand:
That's fair. Nobody is complaining about the player though. Just questioning the value esp. bumped up against our own 3rd round woes, what history has told us about taking P/PK's high and what Wishnowsky taught us when we went through this exercise last time.

It's genuinely not that big of a deal but contrary to Chance calling people idiots, it's more than fair to question it and look at all the angles more closely this time around.

I'm not calling people idiots. I just don't think it's healthy to take such strong stances before someone steps on the field. It's not idiocy, it's just misplaced confidence in one's own opinion. For better or worse, I tend to trust the collection of guys that make up our front office over people who know everything on the internet. My apologies for my tone and what my words imply.

No need to apologize but appreciate it.

TBF, this FO has had many fails esp. in the 3rd round so when they make a smartest-in-the-room move again, I think it's fair to question it and look at the whole picture and review our own recent past.

Honesty, like you, I hope he turns out great and this all becomes moot and the players we could have taken instead (this includes at Latu's pick), aren't better.
Originally posted by NCommand:
No need to apologize but appreciate it.

TBF, this FO has had many fails esp. in the 3rd round so when they make a smartest-in-the-room move again, I think it's fair to question it and look at the whole picture and review our own recent past.

Honesty, like you, I hope he turns out great and this all becomes moot and the players we could have taken instead (this includes at Latu's pick), aren't better.

Please name a FO that hasn't had many fails.

Their successes is why this is currently one of the most talented teams in the league,....but acknowledging these 2 things wouldn't allow you to keep pitching the narrative you are after, obviously.

So just avoid reality at all costs and pretend oneself can easily do a better job from top to bottom.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
He was an 83% kicker last yr, which would have been good for 23rd in the league.

Harbaugh had him attempting multiple kicks over 60. 50 and under he was as good as anyone else out there.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
He was an 83% kicker last yr, which would have been good for 23rd in the league.

Harbaugh had him attempting multiple kicks over 60. 50 and under he was as good as anyone else out there.

Raw data vs context… very important, but too often ignored.

It seems to me that BPA-method with a stacked roster could easily provide diminishing returns (depending on position?)
They got the guy they wanted. I dig it.

Kickers are undervalued. Scoring points, Field position, finishing drives are not… but a good kicker does all of those things.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Raw data vs context… very important, but too often ignored.

It seems to me that BPA-method with a stacked roster could easily provide diminishing returns (depending on position?)
They got the guy they wanted. I dig it.

Kickers are undervalued. Scoring points, Field position, finishing drives are not… but a good kicker does all of those things.

Tend to agree. Like they said, it has to be someone who can make the team or it's a waste. They still went BPA, just a need focused bpa there.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

So teams were trying to trade up to get Moody.
Originally posted by Kolohe:

I wish they had.
Originally posted by dhp318:

I wish they had.

• thl408
Originally posted by dhp318:

I wish they had.

Imagine if the trade up in the 3rd round was for Moody and not the safety Brown.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
As a former kicker, I'll share some commentary here.

Misses timestamps:
0:52 from 62 yards out (was dead center, but short)
1:15 from 43, wide left (plant foot pointed too far left with wind blowing left, thus the hook)
2:00 from 26 yards (too low for such a short kick - got blocked)
3:33 from 50 yards (solid contact, was moving inside and a sudden gust pushed it back outside a hair, a bit of bad luck with the wind IMO)
3:50 from 50 yards (kicking foot placement was not far enough inside the ball. Probably goes in on an NFL hash though.)
6:40 from 57 yards (plant foot seemed to roll up a bit on him at the last second likely affecting his balance into the strike. This would've made it from shorter, but hooked and drifted just wide at the last second)

So all in all, I'd say 4 of this year's 6 misses were really ones where I could solidly knock him for, technique and execution wise. Only 3 were inaccurate (wide) and one of those was from 57. Everything else was either bad luck or a bit of a long-shot to begin with.

The kick at 5:20 was absolutely HUGE. Not just the game, but Michigan's CFB Playoff hopes and undefeated season were on the line. He hit it right down the middle. Aside from the one miss from 57, he was automatic in the playoffs/bowl games. Overall assessment? Legitimately the best K in the draft and not a one-year wonder.

nice one, the fact they are sending him out for a 62 says it all for me
you don't do that, unless he has been hitting that distance in prax or pregame,
which means, he's hitting 60+ yard field goals, quite a few NFL guys can't even do that, we wouldn't dream of sending Robbie out for one
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Where we were picking i doubt that BPA would start, let alone last years on this team

So? You can get a UDFA kicker or sign someone in FA all the same that would "start"

Drafting for need is an awful way to attack the draft.
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Originally posted by tankle104:

Oh wow, 83% huh? Weird little coincidence, but I believe that was also Justin Tucker's career FG percentage at Texas... before he became the best kicker on earth

And didn't cost the Ravens a damn thing. UDFA
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Where we were picking i doubt that BPA would start, let alone last years on this team

So? You can get a UDFA kicker or sign someone in FA all the same that would "start"

Drafting for need is an awful way to attack the draft.

yeah and you can get a QB at pick 262, can make the same comment on TL or any guy seemingly overdrafted
Originally posted by tankle104:
He made like 97% of all his kicks ever 40 yards or less, including PAT. Pretty much all of his misses were 45+ yards or more. Some misses were just tough kicks in tough winds. Some misses were just bad form.

made all of his clutch and/or game winning kicks too.

Cool so we drafted a kicker than can make kicks under 40 yards or less. That's totally worth spending a 3rd on
Share 49ersWebzone