There are 164 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by Nastastical:
Originally posted by tankle104:

He was an 83% kicker last yr, which would have been good for 23rd in the league.

Oh wow, 83% huh? Weird little coincidence, but I believe that was also Justin Tucker's career FG percentage at Texas... before he became the best kicker on earth

And didn't cost the Ravens a damn thing. UDFA

this is such a dumb argument imo, ok get a time machine and go back and take Tucker in round 7.. short of that we don't have a kicker, and we need to get one, if you roll dice on some udfa long after Moody is taken, guess what SF scouted those guys and did their due diligence, they don't like those guys, at least they like Moody much more

easy to win the draft game when you look at who the greatest pk of all time is and say let's do that, with that mentality we have Rodgers and Mahomes at QB, Justin Jefferson at WR and Tucker at pk.. now let's get back to the real world
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
yeah and you can get a QB at pick 262, can make the same comment on TL or any guy seemingly overdrafted

Haha comparing a QB and a kicker to find a gotcha moment…get real faithful.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Where we were picking i doubt that BPA would start, let alone last years on this team

So? You can get a UDFA kicker or sign someone in FA all the same that would "start"

Drafting for need is an awful way to attack the draft.
So you would waste a pick on someone who won't last long on the team so you can get the worst UDFA kicker later.. thats not smart
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on May 5, 2023 at 9:30 AM ]
Only people trying to justify this pick are homer fans. There's been 5 kickers taken in the first 3 rds since 2000.

He legit needs to come out and be one of the best kickers in the NFL to justify the pick. When 95% of the league has kickers that were drafted late day 3 or UDFAs, objectively it's a bad pick simple as that.
yeah and you can get a QB at pick 262, can make the same comment on TL or any guy seemingly overdrafted

yeah the comp is you can get a QB at 262 we did it
Brady round 6
Hurts round 2
Warner udfa, why don't we just do that..

point I am making and you know it's true, who cares about a round 3 pick, like Trey Sermon, what value did that have? If Moody is here a long time, this is a great investment. so the round 3 doesn't matter, he just has to be a good kicker to justify the selection.
Only people trying to justify this pick are homer fans. There's been 5 kickers taken in the first 3 rds since 2000.

He legit needs to come out and be one of the best kickers in the NFL to justify the pick. When 95% of the league has kickers that were drafted late day 3 or UDFAs, objectively it's a bad pick simple as that.

Don't worry NY85 I think this is a dumb f**king pick also.

Brady round 6
Hurts round 2

point I am making and you know it's true, who cares about a round 3 pick, like Trey Sermon, what value did that have? If Moody is here a long time, this is a great investment. so the round 3 doesn't matter, he just has to be a good kicker to justify the selection.

Who cares about Fred Warner?
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

is it a better or worse pick than our usual TDP or Trey Sermon? we will see folks
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
So you would waste a pick so you can get the worst UDFA kicker.. thats not smart

Who said anything about wasting a pick? Go draft an OT/EDGE/DB/WR etc

These were some of the names still on the board…
saldiveri
freeland
Jones
zavala
daniels
Warren
mcguire
herbig
scott
rush
adebawore
Phillips III

don't tell me for one sec none of those guys could help this team and none of them could become a starter at a vastly more important position.

when 95% of the league is made of of kickers that were UDFAs or LATE day 3 picks…yeah objectively it's a stupid pick.

is it a better or worse pick than our usual TDP or Trey Sermon? we will see folks

It better be slam dunk pick and not another average kickers like how Mitch Wishnowsky is an average punter.
[ Edited by Hysterikal on May 5, 2023 at 9:39 AM ]

Brady round 6
Hurts round 2

dude Warner wasn't on the board, listen to the interviews, KS laughing like a maniac saying welp we took you and not another RB..

KS wanted another RB, the entire room probably had to talk him down and say eff no Shanny!

you have done enough damage with these 3rd round RBs, let the rest of the draft room handle this pick, we are taking a guy who will give us many years of real value, not be in Philly in 1 season.

Brady round 6
Hurts round 2

dude Warner wasn't on the board, listen to the interviews, KS laughing like a maniac saying welp we took you and not another RB..

KS wanted another RB, the entire room probably had to talk him down and say eff no Shanny!

you have done enough damage with these 3rd round RBs, let the rest of the draft room handle this pick, we are taking a guy who will give us many years of real value, not be in Philly in 1 season.

Or we just continued our tradition of wasting 3rd round picks by selecting Moody.
Brady round 6
Hurts round 2

When 95% of the league consists of kickers that are UDFAs and late day 3 guys…it's a f**king stupid pick. you can NOT say that about the QB position. Outliers like Brady are f**king outliers. So using that as some meaningful thing doesn't apply.

Might as well take a long snapper too? I mean if he's gonna be our LS for a long time totally worth it, right?

yeah who cares about a 3rd rd pick…like Fred Warner? Good thing we didn't take a kicker there instead.

Brady round 6
Hurts round 2

Or we just continued our tradition of wasting 3rd round picks by selecting Moody.

most 3rd don't really work out, getting a Warner type in round 3 is rare.. but really this is 99, which if you do the math in a 32 team league with 31 round one picks, it's like a round 4 pick, which the club mentioned also, I understand the hit rate on round 3-4s so I'm not complaining if it whiffs (ok I am) but you know what I mean, Moody probably has a more likely success rate than other third rounders, less adapting to our team, our playbook, it's just can he kick em straight and true? I think he will be a good one, in which case it's more than worth a compensatory 3rd..
It better be slam dunk pick and not another average kickers like how Mitch Wishnowsky is an average punter.

He literally has to come out and be one of the best kickers in the league to justify it….f**king stupid pick with who was still on the board.

I don't want to hear anyone complain about the OL if they support this pick.

moody will get grilled for every missed FG he has due to his draft status. Take a guy late day 3 no one will give a s**t. Chris Dunn who won the award for best kicker in college went undrafted. Signed with LA. Could have done that (or used a 7th).
Share 49ersWebzone