There are 118 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
If missing on a kicker was the make or break of the draft for us then I look forward to our undefeated season next year as our roster is so incredibly built we can't even look to upgrade elsewhere

One doesn't simply replace Colton McKivitz. You know the starting RT who didn't make the final roster last yr lol
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
That crap was a reflection of your posting, you were the one saying why draft here when so and so was udfa.. that works at any position, heck we saw Sermon and TDP as round 3s and Mitchell and Mason were the guys

all that matters is can Moody do the job, do you realize the dollar savings Moody from Gould? he just has to kick well, and the pick makes total sense.. just for laughs, insert the name of your non kicker at 99 and we can comp their careers as we move forward, let's hear it NY..

So. Instead of having a normal discussion about it, you decide to attack me and how I post to diminish anything I said about a kicker…based off what I said about a f**king QB lol?

also you're saying we drafted RBs higher that failed & we have RBs taken way later that have had success….SO let's take a kicker higher? You literally proved my point 😝

All I hear about is we're a SB or bust team blah blah blah. Can't develop a QB no way…BUT let's take a rookie kicker and pray he doesn't suck. We can totally afforded to go through the ups and downs of a rookie kicker for sure!

I gave a list of about 12 or so players that were still on the board. If SF has Moody as their 99th best player in this draft…that's a problem.

you didn't answer the question, pick a guy let's hear it none of this I would have taken 12 guys at pick 99.. no, let's hear the one name you would have put on the card, if you don't like the Moody pick, and we will see going forward who had it correct

no attack on you, attacking your post, I think you know full well Moody wouldn't have been avail udfa, so if that's the guy they identified as the pk in this draft class, they gotta spend the pick 99 or 101
yeah and you can get a QB at pick 262, can make the same comment on TL or any guy seemingly overdrafted

Haha comparing a QB and a kicker to find a gotcha moment…get real faithful.

yeah the comp is you can get a QB at 262 we did it
Brady round 6
Hurts round 2
Warner udfa, why don't we just do that..

point I am making and you know it's true, who cares about a round 3 pick, like Trey Sermon, what value did that have? If Moody is here a long time, this is a great investment. so the round 3 doesn't matter, he just has to be a good kicker to justify the selection.

Who cares about Fred Warner?

dude Warner wasn't on the board, listen to the interviews, KS laughing like a maniac saying welp we took you and not another RB..

KS wanted another RB, the entire room probably had to talk him down and say eff no Shanny!

you have done enough damage with these 3rd round RBs, let the rest of the draft room handle this pick, we are taking a guy who will give us many years of real value, not be in Philly in 1 season.

Or we just continued our tradition of wasting 3rd round picks by selecting Moody.

most 3rd don't really work out, getting a Warner type in round 3 is rare.. but really this is 99, which if you do the math in a 32 team league with 31 round one picks, it's like a round 4 pick, which the club mentioned also, I understand the hit rate on round 3-4s so I'm not complaining if it whiffs (ok I am) but you know what I mean, Moody probably has a more likely success rate than other third rounders, less adapting to our team, our playbook, it's just can he kick em straight and true? I think he will be a good one, in which case it's more than worth a compensatory 3rd..

63% of 1st round picks are starters. Guess we should just draft a kicker in the first. 2nd round pick is only 27% so should totally take a punter there. 3rd round go long snapper. Can't risk taking players with elite traits and rely on your elite coaching staff to develop players amiright? Not like taking players who are athletic freaks has made up the core of our team.

let's not get silly, why draft in 1st? no one is suggesting that.. it's clear to me that they took him precisely when they needed to, either 99 or 101 take your pick. He wasn't gonna be there in round 5. they had the pulse of the draft nailed as to when he was gonna be selected

If missing on a kicker was the make or break of the draft for us then I look forward to our undefeated season next year as our roster is so incredibly built we can't even look to upgrade elsewhere
I think you would be more upset with missing the playoffs than a undefeated season if our Kicker can't win games
yeah and you can get a QB at pick 262, can make the same comment on TL or any guy seemingly overdrafted

Brady round 6
Hurts round 2

point I am making and you know it's true, who cares about a round 3 pick, like Trey Sermon, what value did that have? If Moody is here a long time, this is a great investment. so the round 3 doesn't matter, he just has to be a good kicker to justify the selection.

dude Warner wasn't on the board, listen to the interviews, KS laughing like a maniac saying welp we took you and not another RB..

KS wanted another RB, the entire room probably had to talk him down and say eff no Shanny!

you have done enough damage with these 3rd round RBs, let the rest of the draft room handle this pick, we are taking a guy who will give us many years of real value, not be in Philly in 1 season.

Or we just continued our tradition of wasting 3rd round picks by selecting Moody.

most 3rd don't really work out, getting a Warner type in round 3 is rare.. but really this is 99, which if you do the math in a 32 team league with 31 round one picks, it's like a round 4 pick, which the club mentioned also, I understand the hit rate on round 3-4s so I'm not complaining if it whiffs (ok I am) but you know what I mean, Moody probably has a more likely success rate than other third rounders, less adapting to our team, our playbook, it's just can he kick em straight and true? I think he will be a good one, in which case it's more than worth a compensatory 3rd..

63% of 1st round picks are starters. Guess we should just draft a kicker in the first. 2nd round pick is only 27% so should totally take a punter there. 3rd round go long snapper. Can't risk taking players with elite traits and rely on your elite coaching staff to develop players amiright? Not like taking players who are athletic freaks has made up the core of our team.

let's not get silly, why draft in 1st? no one is suggesting that.. it's clear to me that they took him precisely when they needed to, either 99 or 101 take your pick. He wasn't gonna be there in round 5. they had the pulse of the draft nailed as to when he was gonna be selected

dude we upgraded elsewhere with every other single draft pick and udfa

Yeah but I mean those picks rarely work out. Your words not mine.

most draft picks don't, just the reality, the hope is to find some pieces who are a part of the champ team you are building
did you not see Robbie hitting gw field goals in the playoffs??
dude is in his 40s, we need a new guy.. it makes sense to me what we did I have zero complaints, hoping to bridge from one great kicker to another

And the reality is most successful NFL kickers are UDFAs.

Brady round 6
Hurts round 2

most draft picks don't, just the reality, the hope is to find some pieces who are a part of the champ team you are building
dude is in his 40s, we need a new guy.. it makes sense to me what we did I have zero complaints, hoping to bridge from one great kicker to another

sure, however that doesn't look at the individual 2023 draft class. the team did. they looked hard at all those guys. they don't like the value proposition in the udfa's clearly, or they would have gone that route. seeing how we take crap RBs in the 3rd round every season, I see no issue landing a guy with a real chance of being a decade long fixture with this club, I'm not gonna pretend we passed on Montana here to take Moody, its more likely we passed on Sermon or Eli Harold.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:

Brady round 6
Hurts round 2

I think you would be more upset with missing the playoffs than a undefeated season if our Kicker can't win games

Do you really think we couldn't find a kicker off the street? Seeing as how our kicker from last year is literally still on the street.

Brady round 6
Hurts round 2

sure, however that doesn't look at the individual 2023 draft class. the team did. they looked hard at all those guys. they don't like the value proposition in the udfa's clearly, or they would have gone that route. seeing how we take crap RBs in the 3rd round every season, I see no issue landing a guy with a real chance of being a decade long fixture with this club, I'm not gonna pretend we passed on Montana here to take Moody, its more likely we passed on Sermon or Eli Harold.

I agree I just think there's far far far more valuable positions to try and fill. That's the difference. I'm sure Moody will be just fine of a kicker and I'm relieved we won't be wasting a valuable pick on a special teamer for 4 years. Really hope I don't see any you guys complaining about McKivitz or Lenoir this season.

Brady round 6
Hurts round 2

Do you really think we couldn't find a kicker off the street? Seeing as how our kicker from last year is literally still on the street.

he's in his 40s, can't kick deep for bleep anymore, and wants many times more than what Moody is getting paid
he's on the street for a reason, like most kickers, and yes Tucker was udfa, however you will find most udfa are guys like the Jags dude who kicked the ball of his own coaches head in prax, ppl don't know about that dude cuz he didn't make it, the vast majority of udfa kickers dont.

Brady round 6
Hurts round 2

you can find anyone on the street, doesn't mean they all perform as the best players in the league

Since we had success in the 5th round, does it mean we should never draft in the rounds prior?, no

As for our past Kicker, You want to make him the highest paid kicker ? no, no one does and we aren't going to entertain Robbie with that
if ppl could go back in time, knowing what they know today, Justin Tucker would have been a 1st round pick, no question, maybe a top 10 pick

if ppl could go back in time, knowing what they know today, Justin Tucker would have been a 1st round pick, no question, maybe a top 10 pick

Definitely not.
Only people trying to justify this pick are homer fans. There's been 5 kickers taken in the first 3 rds since 2000.

He legit needs to come out and be one of the best kickers in the NFL to justify the pick. When 95% of the league has kickers that were drafted late day 3 or UDFAs, objectively it's a bad pick simple as that.

Don't worry NY85 I think this is a dumb f**king pick also.

Both of you have been hanging out with NC way too much

Definitely not.

I haven't looked at the class but name 10 dudes better than a HOF kicker who is the GOAT kicker; in that class, also realize who we took in that draft lol
you didn't answer the question, pick a guy let's hear it none of this I would have taken 12 guys at pick 99.. no, let's hear the one name you would have put on the card, if you don't like the Moody pick, and we will see going forward who had it correct

no attack on you, attacking your post, I think you know full well Moody wouldn't have been avail udfa, so if that's the guy they identified as the pk in this draft class, they gotta spend the pick 99 or 101

I told you there's was a plethora of players I would have a taken and been happy with…NOT one…that's the whole f**king point!

nah man this all you ever do. You attack a poster to diminish whatever it is that that poster is talking about. You try and twist it into some hypocritical talk, instead of talking about it in football terms. This isn't a political debate, it's football. You're a fan and you will pretend everything they do at the start is good. You can't be objective because you're a fan. It's okay, but at least admit it. Debating or having a conversation with someone like that is a massive waste of time…You talk out your ass and get so caught up in moving goalposts, deflecting and all the other nonsense, that you don't even realize you literally prove my point AND sounded ridiculous trying to compare kickers to QBs.

I could care less if ended up with Moody or Dunn so long as they weren't taken in the 3rd rd! Now we're gonna depend on a rookie kicker to win a SB this yr right? He's not allowed to be a rookie kicker and go though what every single rookie kicker goes through. If he stinks or isn't ridiculously good, then it's an epic failure. you don't take K that high for a reason.

Brady round 6
Hurts round 2

he's in his 40s, can't kick deep for bleep anymore, and wants many times more than what Moody is getting paid
he's on the street for a reason, like most kickers, and yes Tucker was udfa, however you will find most udfa are guys like the Jags dude who kicked the ball of his own coaches head in prax, ppl don't know about that dude cuz he didn't make it, the vast majority of udfa kickers dont.

It seems like at least one team releases their kicker every year because he's not getting the job done. Kickers play a much bigger roll than many fans like to admit. The depth they kick on kickoffs can prevent any long returns. Two or 3 FGs per game are common. Extras points used to be automatic but I see a loy of those missed since they moved the the kicker back. They're taken for granted when they perform like they should but as soon as they fail everyone is all over them.

The good clubs take their special teams seriously. They want dependable place kickers. Punters that can keep the opposition pinned inside the 10 or 15. Fast guys that find the ball carrier in the middle of chaos. Very few teams can win a title without good special teams. SBs have been won by kickers.

I have no problem with Moody in the 3rd round.
Share 49ersWebzone