There are 255 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
this is where we differ 9ers4eva, you equate what a team does with a solitary comp 3rd, to how they invest 3 years worth of ones, that's not making sense to me, one is a throwaway, I mean we legit get these comp thirds for random compensation.. meanwhile three ones all NFL GMs would recognize as franchise altering mammoth value.

lil funny seeing ppl have no issue with the potential whiff of 3 ones, and up in arms over what they view as a whiff of a comp third who has yet to actually take the field

There's also a massive difference between hitting on a QB vs a Kicker.

Lance hasn't even had the opportunity to really play. Injuries suck but that's the main issue with him right now. Talking about his play off a random 100 passing attempts is dumb. It's why I told you to cool your jets on the Lance MVP stuff. These young players are gonna go though development processes. Some more than others. What should matter most is what a player could end up being down the road if done properly…not what they do right off the bat. Long-term should be the goal. You're never gonna see the results or come to a conclusion of basically nothing.

The issue with kickers is the moment you get a couple missed kickers you're done. Coaches don't have time for it. You just kick. You're not the face of the franchise, you're not running the whole offense. They can fine Joe blow to kick some balls.
To put simply, i'd be more annoyed by the 9ers signing a FA kicker for like 6 mil, thereby costing us the ability to keep say Dre Greenlaw and having him not live up to it then a draft pick not being worth their draft selection (or what was given up)

Not having Buckner the last 3 years has hurt more than not having 22 and 23 draft picks.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on May 5, 2023 at 12:20 PM ]
You said "Even if you trade 3 1sts and it doesn't work you can manage the mistake with other value choices."

Hard not to read that as it's not a big deal if you whiff on 3 ones, cuz you can manage it with other moves.. correct me if I am reading you wrong, or feel free to elaborate..

Yes you can manage it with other selections because the picks aren't guaranteed. Don't know who is going to be a player and who isnt.

When you lose established players because you are paying guys who aren't earning their money, that is far more damaging.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
To put simply, i'd be more annoyed by the 9ers signing a FA kicker for like 6 mil, thereby costing us the ability to keep say Dre Greenlaw and having him not live up to it then a draft pick not being worth their draft selection (or what was given up)

Not having Buckner the last 3 years as hurt more than not having 22 and 23 draft picks.

Avg starting kicker is making like $3M. I love Juice but paying a FB over $5M is pretty wild.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Avg starting kicker is making like $3M. I love Juice but paying a FB over $5M is pretty wild.

Oh I know what average kickers make. Talking more in generalities in response to the poster who referenced draft mistakes.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on May 5, 2023 at 12:25 PM ]
this is where we differ 9ers4eva, you equate what a team does with a solitary comp 3rd, to how they invest 3 years worth of ones, that's not making sense to me, one is a throwaway, I mean we legit get these comp thirds for random compensation.. meanwhile three ones all NFL GMs would recognize as franchise altering mammoth value.

lil funny seeing ppl have no issue with the potential whiff of 3 ones, and up in arms over what they view as a whiff of a comp third who has yet to actually take the field

There's also a massive difference between hitting on a QB vs a Kicker.

Lance hasn't even had the opportunity to really play. Injuries suck but that's the main issue with him right now. Talking about his play off a random 100 passing attempts is dumb. It's why I told you to cool your jets on the Lance MVP stuff. These young players are gonna go though development processes. Some more than others. What should matter most is what a player could end up being down the road if done properly…not what they do right off the bat. Long-term should be the goal. You're never gonna see the results or come to a conclusion of basically nothing.

The issue with kickers is the moment you get a couple missed kickers you're done. Coaches don't have time for it. You just kick. You're not the face of the franchise, you're not running the whole offense. They can fine Joe blow to kick some balls.

Frankly, coach Shanny talked about it, he comped our situation of JG / TL to Alex / Mahomes.. that's where those comps came from, the old head ball coach, and I am sure every 49er fan deep down, was secretly hoping that he would be that kind of guy, that's why you make that pick. Even if odds are long of it happening. You are correct Moody will need to drill em relentlessly to establish himself before he gets a long leash, Cade York is already on the hot seat as he didn't hit 80% last season, which is sort of the Mendoza line for kickers.
  • thl408
I think all the married men should get Moody's jersey for our wives. Would make a nice Mother's Day gift (for the wives that are mothers).
You're welcome.
Originally posted by thl408:
I think all the married men should get Moody's jersey for our wives. Would make a nice Mother's Day gift (for the wives that are mothers).
You're welcome.

Does she get to keep the jersey in the divorce?
Frankly, coach Shanny talked about it, he comped our situation of JG / TL to Alex / Mahomes.. that's where those comps came from, the old head ball coach, and I am sure every 49er fan deep down, was secretly hoping that he would be that kind of guy, that's why you make that pick. Even if odds are long of it happening. You are correct Moody will need to drill em relentlessly to establish himself before he gets a long leash, Cade York is already on the hot seat as he didn't hit 80% last season, which is sort of the Mendoza line for kickers.

He comped the situation and how it's ideal to have a QB sit a year. He never said Lance was Mahomes. If you thought that then that's on you. I told you to cool your Jets, but you weren't having it. You let yourself down on that one my man.

no one should be making some grand conclusion on any player that's only got 100 passing attempts. If SF was planning on that then they're pretty dumb too.

kickers on the other hand come and go. You can find them wherever. Moody doesn't come out like Tucker then it was spending a 3rd on a kicker you could have gotten in the 7th or off the street.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 5, 2023 at 1:05 PM ]
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
So you would waste a pick so you can get the worst UDFA kicker.. thats not smart

Who said anything about wasting a pick? Go draft an OT/EDGE/DB/WR etc

These were some of the names still on the board…
saldiveri
freeland
Jones
zavala
daniels
Warren
mcguire
herbig
scott
rush
adebawore
Phillips III

don't tell me for one sec none of those guys could help this team and none of them could become a starter at a vastly more important position.

when 95% of the league is made of of kickers that were UDFAs or LATE day 3 picks…yeah objectively it's a stupid pick.

The thing that's most concerning for me, and obviously, ever FO has it's blind spots, but (and this is one example), ShanaLynch, Peters and Tariq said, they not only rank their rookies on their big board but rank them up against the players currently on the team and said, there wasn't a single young T/G that could come in and compete with McKivitz, Pryor and Moore.

That's uh, a bit concerning to me b/c that mentality extends to all positions.

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Only people trying to justify this pick are homer fans. There's been 5 kickers taken in the first 3 rds since 2000.

He legit needs to come out and be one of the best kickers in the NFL to justify the pick. When 95% of the league has kickers that were drafted late day 3 or UDFAs, objectively it's a bad pick simple as that.

Don't worry NY85 I think this is a dumb f**king pick also.

Both of you have been hanging out with NC way too much

LOL. They've seen the light. It'll still take you, All and 9ers4eva about 10 more years but I have faith!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Only people trying to justify this pick are homer fans. There's been 5 kickers taken in the first 3 rds since 2000.

He legit needs to come out and be one of the best kickers in the NFL to justify the pick. When 95% of the league has kickers that were drafted late day 3 or UDFAs, objectively it's a bad pick simple as that.

Don't worry NY85 I think this is a dumb f**king pick also.

Both of you have been hanging out with NC way too much

LOL. They've seen the light. It'll still take you, All and 9ers4eva about 10 more years but I have faith!

This made me immediately change my stance. Moody was the best pick since Bosa.
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
It's more annoying then anything else. I get where NY and Hysterikal are coming from, the 9ers seem to love certain guys they'll take em whenever. Gotta work on the value part of drafting.

QB play and overall health will make or break the season like it normally does.

This. Teams go through kickers like water. You don't get years worth of developing to prove you're the guy. They can find a "decent" kicker anywhere.

avg starting kicker is making like $3.5M. Spending a 3rd on a kicker to save that kind of cash is dumb. You draft a OL that turns into a starting RT or OG that's $10M+ depending on how they turn out. Same applies at DB/EDGE/WR etc. it's horrible value projection and a bad draft philosophy imo.

Did they truthfully think moody was the 99th best player in this draft? If so that's a problem. This seems to happen all the time with them.

we're in a league now that teams are going for it on 4th down WAY MORE. More TDs being scored than ever before. Yet here's SF worried about taking a kicker lol. Don't worry about the OL, we got a kicker! Lol Jesus.

I'm kind of turned on right now.
Originally posted by NCommand:

I have faith one day you'll realize that other positions matter too. Might take more than 10 tho.
This made me immediately change my stance. Moody was the best pick since Bosa.

You should see how Command is treating Poe with his roster projections.
Share 49ersWebzone