There are 243 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
dude you know how the draft works you put one name on the card, not 15

they chose Moody, you think it was a poor pick, let's hear what name you put on the card instead of Moody

Like I said I would have been happy with 12+ other names. There is no one player. It's the end of the 3rd rd…I didn't love any one player. I also didn't think taking a kicker end of the 3rd was smart. In fact it was stupid. Most teams across the league agree (because they don't do it).

5 Kickers have been drafted in the top 3 rds since 2000…it doesn't happen for a reason. Wrap it around your head dude.

Taking a kicker that early was silly. If a poster suggested that would happen prior to the draft they would be laughed off the board. The only reason it is being justified is because the team donning red and gold did it.

If SEA did this, 99% of us would have a good laugh at their expense.

Justified, accepted, or railing against it… all amounts to nothing, Everyone doesn't process the same way. No big deal.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Taking a kicker that early was silly. If a poster suggested that would happen prior to the draft they would be laughed off the board. The only reason it is being justified is because the team donning red and gold did it.

If SEA did this, 99% of us would have a good laugh at their expense.

Bingo
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Justified, accepted, or railing against it… all amounts to nothing, Everyone doesn't process the same way. No big deal.

He's right though.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
So you would waste a pick so you can get the worst UDFA kicker.. thats not smart

Who said anything about wasting a pick? Go draft an OT/EDGE/DB/WR etc

These were some of the names still on the board…
saldiveri
freeland
Jones
zavala
daniels
Warren
mcguire
herbig
scott
rush
adebawore
Phillips III

don't tell me for one sec none of those guys could help this team and none of them could become a starter at a vastly more important position.

when 95% of the league is made of of kickers that were UDFAs or LATE day 3 picks…yeah objectively it's a stupid pick.

The thing that's most concerning for me, and obviously, every FO has it's blind spots, but (and this is one example), ShanaLynch, Peters and Tariq said, they not only rank their rookies on their big board but rank them up against the players currently on the team and said, there wasn't a single young T/G that could come in and compete with McKivitz, Pryor and Moore.

That's uh, a bit concerning to me b/c that mentality extends to all positions.

Also, it doesn't appear that John and Kyle seem to care about player tiers as much as other teams appear to do... as they seem to focus primarily on personality and personal connection with the coaches.

It's good and bad IMO. The good part of this philosophy is that you're more likely to hit on a George Kittle, or Fred Warner type player because you're increasing the odds of finding an all-pro caliber person, but the bad is you're not always taking the best players regardless of character. I think we can call this the Reuben Foster effect.

Another frustrating thing is that, if its a bad RB class for example, they take one high... and then don't draft one in a much better class. They don't project future prospects very well.

Maybe this is all tied into what NC is saying, that they just look at the rosters and decide if a rookie could compete with the player they have... but I don't think that's a good strategy for a team with a massive injury problem every year.

Having said all of this, they make up for it every year with UDFA's. I think our UDFA's are better than most teams 3rd-4th rounders. And since they do value character so much now, we have a lot of superstars and the team seems to gel every year.

I think they could improve their drafting strategy while keeping the same level of focus on character. In that sense, I think its fair to criticize Kyle and John.

Yeah, it's a fun topic to discuss around team building. Most teams just add talent, mostly BPA, and let it all sort itself out later via competition. Here, they see a hole, put the horse blinders on and go get him no matter what. What I learned by their player-connection project was, they targeted all the same exact players as the other teams (b/c all but ten weren't drafted). So they 'get it' from a comprehensive perspective. Where they differ is in the valuation of their own players, the players in the draft and where they lay their priorities.

"One does not simply walk in and take Cassius Marsh's [add player name here] job."

They've also had the luxury of doing this knowing in advance, they had at least 6 full off seasons to do it with unlimited support from Jed. That peace of mind gives you the freedom to go against conventional wisdom.

The eagles get praised for doing this all the time. Just go draft the best player. Yeah there's situational awareness. You got Aaron Rogers, you're not drafting a QB in the first (dumb pick).

we seem to draft based on need…besides at RB. Drafting a kicker in the 3rd isn't gonna kill us, but after a while the dumb stuff catches up.

It doesn't catch up if you nail late draft picks.

Instead of nailing round 3 they nail round 5.

People get so caught up with rounds. The key is to get good rookies - whether that's round 3, round 5 or UDFA.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

He's right though.
It's only right when you are still trying to build a team. We are past that
It's only right when you are still trying to build a team. We are past that

Not true. You're always building a team. Having a rookie kicker be the "missing piece" to a Super Bowl roster is pretty silly. They should have signed a good vet if that's the goal.
Originally posted by KiwiM3:

People get so caught up with rounds. The key is to get good rookies - whether that's round 3, round 5 or UDFA.

So what you're allowed to f**k up picks just because you get lucky later?
Originally posted by KiwiM3:

So what you're allowed to f**k up picks just because you get lucky later?

It's not luck when you do it again and again year after year.

No team bats near 1.000 on draft picks. The key is to hit on enough players every year - which they do.
Originally posted by Chance:
So you would waste a pick so you can get the worst UDFA kicker.. thats not smart

saldiveri
freeland
Jones
zavala
daniels
Warren
mcguire
herbig
scott
rush
adebawore
Phillips III

don't tell me for one sec none of those guys could help this team and none of them could become a starter at a vastly more important position.

when 95% of the league is made of of kickers that were UDFAs or LATE day 3 picks…yeah objectively it's a stupid pick.

Then pick a guy. Pick one of these guys who will be more valuable than Moody. It's easy to list a bunch of guys then in retrospect point to the best of the bunch and yell at the clouds about. So pick one and let's revise this in three years.

Agreed. Let's etch it into stone right now if you're SURE it was the wrong pick. A list doesn't do anything as quite naturally,...there are going to be guys selected in the 3rd or lower that prove to be worthy of 1st or 2nd round picks.

That doesn't tell us much. Being able to pick out those players NOW will validate your point, however.
Originally posted by random49er:

saldiveri
freeland
Jones
zavala
daniels
Warren
mcguire
herbig
scott
rush
adebawore
Phillips III

Then pick a guy. Pick one of these guys who will be more valuable than Moody. It's easy to list a bunch of guys then in retrospect point to the best of the bunch and yell at the clouds about. So pick one and let's revise this in three years.

Agreed. Let's etch it into stone right now if you're SURE it was the wrong pick. A list doesn't do anything as quite naturally,...there are going to be guys selected in the 3rd or lower that prove to be worthy of 1st or 2nd round picks.

That doesn't tell us much. Being able to pick out those players NOW will validate your point, however.

I really don't understand the fretting over using a third on this guy. Seriously, who gives a f**k. Lol as long as he is a good player, that's all that matters. We've missed on every single third round pick but one (Warner) since 2017. Lol

most teams are lucky to hit on 2 players in their entire draft, belichick hasn't had a good overall draft in like 10+ years. Our team has sucked in certain rounds but as a whole, we've done really well and it's helped us round out our roster to where it is today. The drafts a crapshoot. You do your analysis, take the players you think are best available with where you are and where your next pick is.

you don't go "this is a third, so I SHOULD pick XYZ". There are so many variables at play and every draft is different because your next pick, or your need, or who's picking soon, or which team may trade up to get the guy you need/want. Etc. lol it's a joke to oversimplify what you should of in a certain round,

it wasn't a desirable situation to pick a kicker in but the team did what it thought was best based on the variables at play. All we can do is hope it works out great.
Originally posted by tankle104:
I really don't understand the fretting over using a third on this guy. Seriously, who gives a f**k. Lol as long as he is a good player, that's all that matters. We've missed on every single third round pick but one (Warner) since 2017. Lol

most teams are lucky to hit on 2 players in their entire draft, belichick hasn't had a good overall draft in like 10+ years. Our team has sucked in certain rounds but as a whole, we've done really well and it's helped us round out our roster to where it is today. The drafts a crapshoot. You do your analysis, take the players you think are best available with where you are and where your next pick is.

you don't go "this is a third, so I SHOULD pick XYZ". There are so many variables at play and every draft is different because your next pick, or your need, or who's picking soon, or which team may trade up to get the guy you need/want. Etc. lol it's a joke to oversimplify what you should of in a certain round,

it wasn't a desirable situation to pick a kicker in but the team did what it thought was best based on the variables at play. All we can do is hope it works out great.

I like your contributions on here great stuff as usual

saldiveri
freeland
Jones
zavala
daniels
Warren
mcguire
herbig
scott
rush
adebawore
Phillips III

b******t. I would have been more happy with any of those picks vs a kicker. Saying it has to be ONE player and that's it is stupid when we're talking about the 3rd rd. It was never about ONE player. It was about drafting a f**king kicker in the 3rd rd. People trying to justify would have been laughing at any other NFCW team for doing it. Not a single person in here would have said yes please draft a kicker in the 3rd before it happened…so trying to make me the bad guy after the fact is pretty lame.

saldiveri
freeland
Jones
zavala
daniels
Warren
mcguire
herbig
scott
rush
adebawore
Phillips III

b******t. I would have been more happy with any of those picks vs a kicker. Saying it has to be ONE player and that's it is stupid when we're talking about the 3rd rd. It was never about ONE player. It was about drafting a f**king kicker in the 3rd rd. People trying to justify would have been laughing at any other NFCW team for doing it. Not a single person in here would have said yes please draft a kicker in the 3rd before it happened…so trying to make me the bad guy after the fact is pretty lame.

Maybe the 49ers will send you a letter of apology…
Omg they took a K
Share 49ersWebzone