There are 362 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by random49er:
Originally posted by Chance:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
So you would waste a pick so you can get the worst UDFA kicker.. thats not smart

Who said anything about wasting a pick? Go draft an OT/EDGE/DB/WR etc

These were some of the names still on the board…
saldiveri
freeland
Jones
zavala
daniels
Warren
mcguire
herbig
scott
rush
adebawore
Phillips III

don't tell me for one sec none of those guys could help this team and none of them could become a starter at a vastly more important position.

when 95% of the league is made of of kickers that were UDFAs or LATE day 3 picks…yeah objectively it's a stupid pick.

Then pick a guy. Pick one of these guys who will be more valuable than Moody. It's easy to list a bunch of guys then in retrospect point to the best of the bunch and yell at the clouds about. So pick one and let's revise this in three years.

Agreed. Let's etch it into stone right now if you're SURE it was the wrong pick. A list doesn't do anything as quite naturally,...there are going to be guys selected in the 3rd or lower that prove to be worthy of 1st or 2nd round picks.

That doesn't tell us much. Being able to pick out those players NOW will validate your point, however.

b******t. I would have been more happy with any of those picks vs a kicker. Saying it has to be ONE player and that's it is stupid when we're talking about the 3rd rd. It was never about ONE player. It was about drafting a f**king kicker in the 3rd rd. People trying to justify would have been laughing at any other NFCW team for doing it. Not a single person in here would have said yes please draft a kicker in the 3rd before it happened…so trying to make me the bad guy after the fact is pretty lame.

You listed 12 guys.

If the 49ers could pick 12 or so guys with ONE late 3rd rd. pick and keep whichever's the best one after a camp,...they'd do so in a heartbeat and not think twice about it.

Problem is,...they only get to choose 1 guy,...not 12 guys like you just did.

Pick 1. Go with 1 so you can't use the other 11 as proof later on. Then we'll have something to go off of. Otherwise.....you're just not saying very much IMO.

If you are sure that this is a bad pick, then tell us who surely would've been a better one? Just 1 player.
[ Edited by random49er on May 5, 2023 at 7:44 PM ]
On the all-time ordered list of drafted kickers,...Moody's not as high on it as some guys here want to imagine.

We're certainly not 1st to the party. To be certain that kickers aren't worth being drafted here or any higher is to say all of these guys weren't worth it either and they were "bad moves." But clearly,...the NFL disagrees.

Not knowing much else,...I'm going to go with the executives that continually asses the draft worthiness of kickers and make decisions on them over people at home picking 10 to 20 players all at once with 1 pick,...lol.

There must be something to it or otherwise this wouldn'tve happened so much over the years.
On the all-time ordered list of drafted kickers,...Moody's not as high on it as some guys here want to imagine.

We're certainly not 1st to the party. To be certain that kickers aren't worth being drafted here or any higher is to say all of these guys weren't worth it either and they were "bad moves." But clearly,...the NFL disagrees.

Not knowing much else,...I'm going to go with the executives that continually asses the draft worthiness of kickers and make decisions on them over people at home picking 10 to 20 players all at once with 1 pick,...lol.

There must be something to it or otherwise this wouldn'tve happened so much over the years.

Lol okay I didn't know two other kickers were picked in the first round outside of Seabass! That dude a had a freakin cannon of a leg.

i would understand being annoyed if we used a first or second on a kicker, because in those rounds the draft talent is clearer and usually better prospects. Lol

but comp picks on the third? Lol come on. Essentially the 100 best players were off the board and we took the best kicker this year, someone who's shown awesome traits that should translate to the NFL.

all of his misses were because of sloppy technique or rough weather, with a combination of being long kicks. Lol never mental issues, which is the biggest aspect to me. I was hoping we would draft him and I'm glad we did.
especially since he was picked with one of THREE third rounders. Lol not like we used our only third rounder on him.

In 1994 we took a kicker in the 3rd 😏. Could be good juju. Muahhaha

which he holds the record for most PATs in a single post season with 17 😏
[ Edited by tankle104 on May 5, 2023 at 7:12 PM ]
Originally posted by tankle104:

Most of those we're drafted in the 60s and 70s. Times are changing.
Looks like moody is rocking #4, he's about to be the Brett Favre of legs. Myahhaah

idk if that's a good thing Or not. Lmao maybe the next Vinatieri?
Originally posted by Sickaa:

That is a fair assessment and point. The first thing I noticed is we drafted a kicker higher than anyone in a long time. Lol I still don't care though.m

this is like saying drafting a RB in the first is dumb because teams don't do it as much anymore and we have found good ones in UDFA.
[ Edited by tankle104 on May 5, 2023 at 7:25 PM ]

you have a man on this list named Happy Feller

That is a fair assessment and point. The first thing I noticed is we drafted a kicker higher than anyone in a long time. Lol I still don't care though.m

this is like saying drafting a RB in the first is dumb because teams don't do it as much anymore and we have found good ones in UDFA.

Eh, I'm not really a fan of drafting Rbs within the first 3 rounds either Tbh lol I see your point, though.
Do they simply not know what they are doing, and would be fit to visit this board for advice next time they may want to draft kickers?

https://musketfire.com/2023/04/30/patriots-drafted-pair-franchise-kickers-fourth-sixth-round/

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
you have a man on this list named Happy Feller

Lol this guys parents were hippies way before hippies were around. Hahahah that's a great name though, probably just an nickname… I hope 😶. Lmao

Eh, I'm not really a fan of drafting Rbs within the first 3 rounds either Tbh lol I see your point, though.

Just depends on the player. For example, I'd be happy if we drafted CMC/Adrian Peterson in the first because of his fit for our system and what it opens up, but most of the time I'd agree with you. It needs to be a unique talent for me to be happy with a RB in the first few rounds.

let's just hope this guy plays so well that we stop giving an eff about the round. Lol that's what I'm shooting for. He is the only kicker I've ever really wanted us to draft though, I felt like his leg and mental fortitude were a great fit for us and our needs.

A couple of the ways that times have changed since then is taking away the XP away as a gimmie play (since 2016),...and automatically keeping rookies on the cheap -- no matter how good they really are (just ask Lamar Jackson) -- for 4 years (since the 2011 CBA):

So yea,...times do change,...but so do rules. So not being willing to face and address things like this before automatically saying picks are not worth it is just sticking your head in the sand.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/12/09/extra-point-success-rate-down-to-92-5-percent-lowest-since-1979/
[ Edited by random49er on May 5, 2023 at 7:43 PM ]
Do they simply not know what they are doing, and would be fit to visit this board for advice next time they may want to draft kickers?

https://musketfire.com/2023/04/30/patriots-drafted-pair-franchise-kickers-fourth-sixth-round/

Their fans are way more optimistic than ours. Hahaha
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Omg they took a K

Hahahah

Could they have drafted an offensive linemen? Sure. But it's all roulette. We definitely needed a kicker and they took the guy they liked who would have very likely been gone the next round. No guarantees but if the kid is good nobody will give a s**t.

I am far more annoyed at other draft misses and what ifs over the years. Imagine if we didn't go Thomas and foster. That may have cost us the SB for all we know. We are lucky they hit home runs later in the drafts.
Share 49ersWebzone