There are 355 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by tankle104:
That is a fair assessment and point. The first thing I noticed is we drafted a kicker higher than anyone in a long time. Lol I still don't care though.m

this is like saying drafting a RB in the first is dumb because teams don't do it as much anymore and we have found good ones in UDFA.

Very very good point about rbs taken early.

NY…..before you use the word PLETHORA again, you better check with me
Originally posted by elguapo:
That is a fair assessment and point. The first thing I noticed is we drafted a kicker higher than anyone in a long time. Lol I still don't care though.m

this is like saying drafting a RB in the first is dumb because teams don't do it as much anymore and we have found good ones in UDFA.

RB's in the 3rd make sense though b/c the league still devalues them so getting a RB in the 3rd, like we saw with S this year, gives you a great shot at getting a top 2 RB/S. That's smart value. With PK and K, they've proven the best come from the latest rounds and as UDFA's. The top picks have flopped with a rare outlier here and there and that's been time tested; b/c their skill set never changes.

We're assuming Moody is that generational PK who'll be on the team for 15 years but probability says the UDFA the Rams took, may end up better. That's the topic...value...not the player himself. Same concept with Wishnowsky (I liked that player too).

It is what it is.

For fun, we should all revisit the the 27 year old Wishnowsky thread as well.

Even Mr. 'Tow the Company Line' wasn't too thrilled with the pick. And he was right...we didn't get a generational P or special teams weapon in the end. We got an old solid P (who can't even take kickoffs), of which, you can get much later in the draft (no fault of his - it's a valuation problem):

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Not a huge fan of drafting a P that early.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 6, 2023 at 4:53 AM ]
Originally posted by random49er:
You listed 12 guys.

If the 49ers could pick 12 or so guys with ONE late 3rd rd. pick and keep whichever's the best one after a camp,...they'd do so in a heartbeat and not think twice about it.

Problem is,...they only get to choose 1 guy,...not 12 guys like you just did.

Pick 1. Go with 1 so you can't use the other 11 as proof later on. Then we'll have something to go off of. Otherwise.....you're just not saying very much IMO.

If you are sure that this is a bad pick, then tell us who surely would've been a better one? Just 1 player.

I listed 12 players I would have preferred. Take ANY of them.

It's a 3rd rd kicker and people trying to justify it are the same people that would have laughed at Seattle doing it…love for any of these folks to show me their mock pre-draft of taking a kicker in the 3rd…you won't see one because it's f**king dumb. It's okay to admit it because it was…is it gonna make or break us? No. Was it an arrogant pick? Absolutely
Do they simply not know what they are doing, and would be fit to visit this board for advice next time they may want to draft kickers?

https://musketfire.com/2023/04/30/patriots-drafted-pair-franchise-kickers-fourth-sixth-round/

Haha using the Pats as a team to emulate draft wise
On the all-time ordered list of drafted kickers,...Moody's not as high on it as some guys here want to imagine.

We're certainly not 1st to the party. To be certain that kickers aren't worth being drafted here or any higher is to say all of these guys weren't worth it either and they were "bad moves." But clearly,...the NFL disagrees.

Not knowing much else,...I'm going to go with the executives that continually asses the draft worthiness of kickers and make decisions on them over people at home picking 10 to 20 players all at once with 1 pick,...lol.

There must be something to it or otherwise this wouldn'tve happened so much over the years.

there's been 5 kickers (including moody) that have been taking in the top 100 since 2000. No one cares about Charlie Gogolak in 1966 lol.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 6, 2023 at 6:26 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:

RB's in the 3rd make sense though b/c the league still devalues them so getting a RB in the 3rd, like we saw with S this year, gives you a great shot at getting a top 2 RB/S. That's smart value. With PK and K, they've proven the best come from the latest rounds and as UDFA's. The top picks have flopped with a rare outlier here and there and that's been time tested; b/c their skill set never changes.

We're assuming Moody is that generational PK who'll be on the team for 15 years but probability says the UDFA the Rams took, may end up better. That's the topic...value...not the player himself. Same concept with Wishnowsky (I liked that player too).

It is what it is.

Even Mr. 'Tow the Company Line' wasn't too thrilled with the pick. And he was right...we didn't get a generational P or special teams weapon in the end. We got an old solid P (who can't even take kickoffs), of which, you can get much later in the draft (no fault of his - it's a valuation problem):

moody isn't even some generational kicker lol. I think a good base is to see if Dunn (UDFA) or Moody (3rd) turn out better…people trying to force me to put one name in place of him for argument sake is being dumb. I would have taken a dozen other players over him. it's the 3rd, not the 1st. I never had one guy I needed to have…just don't take a K that early.

IMO it was an arrogant as s**t pick. Acting like we had zero holes or couldn't develop anyone that could start. This team does this stuff every draft. Draft need over BPA. It's not gonna kill us, it's just a horrible way to draft imo.

like others said, if any NFCW team did this they'd be laughing at it. Not a single person in here said "yes please draft a K at 99, seems like a smart value pick"

Teams are scoring more TDs and going for it more on 4th downs. We're trying to kick FGs

Is what it is now, he's gonna have to be generational to justify the pick.…all I've been told is it's SB or bust. No room for development. Now we're gonna roll into the season with a rookie kicker lol.

Imo people trying to argue that it was a good pick are being pretty arrogant about it as well.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 6, 2023 at 6:32 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

It is what it is.

moody isn't even some generational kicker lol. I think a good base is to see if Dunn (UDFA) or Moody (3rd) turn out better…people trying to force me to put one name in place of him for argument sake is being dumb. I would have taken a dozen other players over him. it's the 3rd, not the 1st. I never had one guy I needed to have…just don't take a K that early.

IMO it was an arrogant as s**t pick. Acting like we had zero holes or couldn't develop anyone that could start. This team does this stuff every draft. Draft need over BPA. It's not gonna kill us, it's just a horrible way to draft imo.

like others said, if any NFCW team did this they'd be laughing at it. Not a single person in here said "yes please draft a K at 99, seems like a smart value pick"

Teams are scoring more TDs and going for it more on 4th downs. We're trying to kick FGs

Is what it is now, he's gonna have to be generational to justify the pick.…all I've been told is it's SB or bust. No room for development. Now we're gonna roll into the season with a rookie kicker lol.

Imo people trying to argue that it was a good pick are being pretty arrogant about it as well.

Us 49er fans can justify anything. It's part of being fanatical, I guess. LOL

But here's to having the greatest roster in football who just needed a rookie PK to get over the hump.

I'm looking forward to #6, finally!
Could have given up next to nothing and moved up for Darnell Washington (taken at 92). Imagine him and Kittle out there nah let's hold pat for a kicker because we need that much much more lol.

But here's to having the greatest roster in football who just needed a rookie PK to get over the hump.

That's all we needed! A downgrade at kicker lol. That extra cash went to Ferrell/Hartsfield instead. Sweet.

s**t man they could have given up next to nothing and went and got Darnell Washington at TE. Him and Kittle out there either blocking or running routes would have been something to see.

I mean they could have gotten the Lou Groza winner (best kicker in the country) for free smh.

f**k TDs…let's go kick some FGs
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 6, 2023 at 6:50 AM ]

That's all we needed! A downgrade at kicker lol. That extra cash went to Ferrell/Hartsfield instead. Sweet.

s**t man they could have given up next to nothing and went and got Darnell Washington at TE. Him and Kittle out there either blocking or running routes would have been something to see.

I mean they could have gotten the Lou Groza winner (best kicker in the country) for free smh.

f**k TDs…let's go kick some FGs

Harbaugh must have rubbed off on them! LOL

Best kicker known to mankind. Tougher than a $2 steak! He attacks kicking with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 6, 2023 at 6:56 AM ]

Could have given up next to nothing and moved up for Darnell Washington (taken at 92). Imagine him and Kittle out there nah let's hold pat for a kicker because we need that much much more lol.

Great point. I was going to say, from a value perspective, you could probably throw Latu into this bit too given he was 2 picks later.

Moody + Latu >>>> ? + ?
[ Edited by NCommand on May 6, 2023 at 6:58 AM ]
Harbaugh must have rubbed off on them! LOL

Best kicker known to mankind. Tougher than a $2 steak! He attacks kicking with an enthusiasm unknown to mankind.

On the all-time ordered list of drafted kickers,...Moody's not as high on it as some guys here want to imagine.

We're certainly not 1st to the party. To be certain that kickers aren't worth being drafted here or any higher is to say all of these guys weren't worth it either and they were "bad moves." But clearly,...the NFL disagrees.

Not knowing much else,...I'm going to go with the executives that continually asses the draft worthiness of kickers and make decisions on them over people at home picking 10 to 20 players all at once with 1 pick,...lol.

There must be something to it or otherwise this wouldn'tve happened so much over the years.

The Gogolaks were like the Bosa Brothers of kicking apparently.
Great point. I was going to say, from a value perspective, you could probably throw Latu into this bit too given he was 2 picks later.

Moody + Latu >>>> ? + ?

Realistically we could have ended up with Brown, Washington, and say Freeland/Saldiveri with our 1st 3 picks…plus had a couple day 3 picks.

It's bad process I agree, they locked into drafting a kicker and let the league dictate which one they took.

It will be a good pick if he's a good kicker and it's as simple as that.
Share 49ersWebzone