There are 235 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
The Gogolaks were like the Bosa Brothers of kicking apparently.

Physical specimens no doubt
Originally posted by NYniner85:

there's been 5 kickers (including moody) that have been taking in the top 100 since 2000. No one cares about Charlie Gogolak in 1966 lol.

Seen a lot of things like this, but you never have a % of how many undrafted kickers amount to absolutely nothing! Yes you can find great undrafted kickers and drafted ones can bust, but I'll bet a lot more of the undrafted ones fail
Originally posted by 49erBigMac:
It's bad process I agree, they locked into drafting a kicker and let the league dictate which one they took.

It will be a good pick if he's a good kicker and it's as simple as that.

It's a f**king awful process. I think part of the problem is they give the coaches a ton of sway in who gets drafted…they don't care about value or impact of position. Ask the ST coach what he wants…a kicker lol. I mean is this the best kicker to come out in a decade? You spent up like he was. Just dumb.

I don't know how anyone can just justify the pick as good. Now we're depending on a rookie kicker to just be amazing on a Super Bowl roster. Avg % of FGs made by guys drafted in the top 100 their rookie year…71%. he's gonna have to be much better. We will see.
If QBs are anything to go by I can't wait til camp when the stats come out each day on kicking % for Gonzalez vs Moody and somehow Lombardi and Cohn will have different stats from the same practice.....

there's been 5 kickers (including moody) that have been taking in the top 100 since 2000. No one cares about Charlie Gogolak in 1966 lol.

Seen a lot of things like this, but you never have a % of how many undrafted kickers amount to absolutely nothing! Yes you can find great undrafted kickers and drafted ones can bust, but I'll bet a lot more of the undrafted ones fail

It's because 95% of kickers are either UDFAs or late day 3 guys lol.

trying to evaluate kickers is next to impossible, it's such a mental position. you can be a rock solid kicker in college (like the kid from FSU) be one of the most accurate kickers in history… only to go full on Ray Finkle in the pros. It has nothing to do with your talent, you just get into your head then it's over. We see it in the pros all the time. You're literally just hoping that doesn't happen with the guy you draft lol.
It's bad process I agree, they locked into drafting a kicker and let the league dictate which one they took.

It will be a good pick if he's a good kicker and it's as simple as that.

It's a f**king awful process. I think part of the problem is they give the coaches a ton of sway in who gets drafted…they don't care about value or impact of position. Ask the ST coach what he wants…a kicker lol. I mean is this the best kicker to come out in a decade? You spent up like he was. Just dumb.

I don't know how anyone can just justify the pick as good. Now we're depending on a rookie kicker to just be amazing on a Super Bowl roster. Avg % of FGs made by guys drafted in the top 100 their rookie year…71%. he's gonna have to be much better. We will see.

No one can justify the pick as good or bad is the point. We simply haven't seen him on the field. It's crazy to me to see people in such disarray over a guy they have never seen kick a football in the NFL.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by elguapo:
Originally posted by tankle104:
That is a fair assessment and point. The first thing I noticed is we drafted a kicker higher than anyone in a long time. Lol I still don't care though.m

this is like saying drafting a RB in the first is dumb because teams don't do it as much anymore and we have found good ones in UDFA.

Very very good point about rbs taken early.

NY…..before you use the word PLETHORA again, you better check with me

RB's in the 3rd make sense though b/c the league still devalues them so getting a RB in the 3rd, like we saw with S this year, gives you a great shot at getting a top 2 RB/S. That's smart value. With PK and K, they've proven the best come from the latest rounds and as UDFA's. The top picks have flopped with a rare outlier here and there and that's been time tested; b/c their skill set never changes.

We're assuming Moody is that generational PK who'll be on the team for 15 years but probability says the UDFA the Rams took, may end up better. That's the topic...value...not the player himself. Same concept with Wishnowsky (I liked that player too).

It is what it is.

For fun, we should all revisit the the 27 year old Wishnowsky thread as well.

Even Mr. 'Tow the Company Line' wasn't too thrilled with the pick. And he was right...we didn't get a generational P or special teams weapon in the end. We got an old solid P (who can't even take kickoffs), of which, you can get much later in the draft (no fault of his - it's a valuation problem):

Originally posted by Hoovtrain:

Not a huge fan of drafting a P that early.

lol and I said the same about the K this year nor do I play revisionist history. don't get all pissy just because you continually make yourself look foolish
here .
#ARROWUP
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on May 6, 2023 at 10:23 AM ]
Who said anything about wasting a pick? Go draft an OT/EDGE/DB/WR etc

These were some of the names still on the board…
saldiveri
freeland
Jones
zavala
daniels
Warren
mcguire
herbig
scott
rush
adebawore
Phillips III

don't tell me for one sec none of those guys could help this team and none of them could become a starter at a vastly more important position.

when 95% of the league is made of of kickers that were UDFAs or LATE day 3 picks…yeah objectively it's a stupid pick.

Okay. I'll play. Here is the draft breakdown of your list. At the end of the season we'll see which of these players ended up contributing more to their teams than Moody. There were too many Jones' listed to know who you were talking about.

Nick Saldiveri Saints/pick 103/ OL
The 6-foot-6, 317-pound Saldiveri is recognized as a good athlete with a lot of potential, although he's raw and may not be ready to start as a rookie.

A developmental/practice squad player who may or may not turn into anything.

Blake Freeland pick Colts/106 /T
The biggest thing that he will have to work on is his technique playing the position. Which will come with time playing the position since he is still relatively new to it. He can play with a high pad level which doesn't help him win with leverage. Freeland can also have his struggles with edge rushers that bring a variety of moves. Overall, Indianapolis lands an athletic tackle that has the tools to develop into a quality starter at either tackle spots. His addition also gives some competition in training camp for the left tackle spot and a future option at right tackle with Braden Smith only having two years left on his deal after the 2023 season.

49ers were in need of a right tackle and his name was associated with them a lot but their take seems to be that none of the tackles available at that point presented a significant upgrade over what they had or would add more immediate value than Moody. Some in here have called him Mike McGlinchey 2.0 and we all know how popular he was. We'll see if they're right.

Chandler Zavala Panthers/114/OL
Zavala has a big upside as a conditioned pass blocker and smart mover in the run game. Couple that with his prototypical size, and you have a valuable pass blocker with more than one area of expertise. However, as is the issue for so many players, Zavala has yet to show that he can perform at a high level consistently. If he can avoid injury and utilize his speed and knowledge in the NFL, the Panthers will be more than happy with the lineman.

A guy who sat out a year after having back surgery. No thanks to that after the Dee Ford experience.

Braeden Daniels Commanders/118/OL
"Daniels will require development time to refine his footwork and consistency to match up with NFL rushers, but he has the athletic twitch and versatility to boost an offensive line depth chart in the NFL. His experience at multiple positions is a plus and he grades as a swing tackle/guard with down-the-road starting upside.

A possible practice squad player over a day one starter at a position of need. Sure, why not?

Carter Warren Jets/120/T
Warren has prototypical size, length and arm length for the left tackle position. However, he may need to improve his footwork if he wants to start at the NFL level. Warren projects as a depth piece at tackle for the Jets, with the possibility of developing into a starter in the future.

See Blake Freeland above. Another potential practice squad player over a day one starter.

Isaiah McGuire Browns/120/DE
Given his body type, McGuire makes sense as both a defensive end and an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. However, He hasn't had the reps at linebacker to show NFL teams he is ready to make an impact at that position. We haven't seen McGuire's final form yet. He has room for improvement and could grow into a solid NFL contributor at defensive end or outside linebacker.

Last time I checked Niners don't play a 3-4. Another potential practice squad/rotational player who probably wouldn't make the 53

Nick Herbig Steelers/132/LB
He boasts some of the best range and change-of-direction ability in the entire draft class but likely isn't getting buzz at the moment because he was an on-ball linebacker for Wisconsin who will have to play off-ball in the NFL.

Apparently the Niners liked the two LB's they drafted. Were split between which one was better and ended up with both. We'll see if they were right.

Eric Scott (?) Cowboys/178/CB
Long, explosive cornerback who's best as a linear athlete. Stiffness pops when changing directions. The Cowboys like picking some obscure CBs. Wasn't firmly on the draft radar.

NFL.com rated this as the worst pick in the Cowboy's draft with a C- grade. Time will tell.

Darius Rush Colts/138/DB
Two-year starter at cornerback after moving from wide receiver in his redshirt freshman season. Rush is big, long and physical. He struggles to stay connected with routes from both press and off coverages but could improve with more technique work. He will never have the short area foot quickness to mirror and match routes but has impressive ball skills to disrupt the catch when he's in position.

We'll see if he turns out to be better than the corner they drafted.

Adetomiwa Adebawore Colts/110/DE
A high-effort player with a unique build, Adebawore consistently figured out ways to disrupt at the college level. He has a naturally low center of gravity that allows him to work his way through traffic with great balance. Where is his home in the NFL? Adebawore doesn't have the kind of bend to threaten as a pass rusher off the edge, but he's undersized and lacks ideal power as an interior run defender, at risk of giving up a lot of ground if he can't immediately shoot a gap.

Where would he fit on this defense?

Clark Phillips III Falcons/113/CB
Phillips is a quick-twitch athlete that was battle-tested by some excellent receivers in the Pac-12. In the biggest of matchups, Phillips displayed his ability to mirror-and-match opposing pass-catchers. Phillips' change of direction abilities allow him to sink his hips and make smooth transitions throughout the progress of a route. He can run step-for-step with receivers while staying within their hip pocket. He measured in at 5'9 and 184 pounds at the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine. Phillips' size deficiencies will lead to instances of his body and frame not allowing him to make the plays his mind can.

Nice write up on his positives. Niners have typically liked their corners to be bigger. Do you suspect he was really an option for them?
He's the new Trey Lance. He basically has a 1% chance to be worth his drafts status or will always be a mistake. Funny part is if we weren't drafting a 6th round prospects 2 picks later my biggest complaint would be why didn't wait till our last pick in round 3
Originally posted by KiwiM3:
If QBs are anything to go by I can't wait til camp when the stats come out each day on kicking % for Gonzalez vs Moody and somehow Lombardi and Cohn will have different stats from the same practice.....

I'm not sure I can handle that much excitement In one camp.

In all seriousness, I just realised how popular this thread Is In comparison to the safety we drafted.

Originally posted by davidboutte:
He's the new Trey Lance. He basically has a 1% chance to be worth his drafts status or will always be a mistake. Funny part is if we weren't drafting a 6th round prospects 2 picks later my biggest complaint would be why didn't wait till our last pick in round 3

Which round Latu should of went in is all subjective. Scott Mccloughin, a former GM and a widely respected consultant that numerous teams hire annually to do draft prospect homework for them, had Latu rated as a second round prospect.

honestly, idc about the round as much as I care about them becoming stud players.

it's funny because if you get someone that isn't rated to do well in the later rounds, and he turns out good, you're a genius.

if you draft someone earlier than some think you should, and it works out, you're bad at managing draft capital.

there are 32 very different draft boards and a billion mock drafts. Lol saying who should or went where is a waste, I just hope our draft picks turn into studs.
Originally posted by Chance:
No one can justify the pick as good or bad is the point. We simply haven't seen him on the field. It's crazy to me to see people in such disarray over a guy they have never seen kick a football in the NFL.

It doesn't have much to do with the player. It's the position. I don't dislike Moody. I'd probably take him over the other guys BUT I'm not not taking a kicker in the top 100 ever. Most NFL teams agree
Originally posted by 49ers81:

saldiveri
freeland
Jones
zavala
daniels
Warren
mcguire
herbig
scott
rush
adebawore
Phillips III

don't tell me for one sec none of those guys could help this team and none of them could become a starter at a vastly more important position.

when 95% of the league is made of of kickers that were UDFAs or LATE day 3 picks…yeah objectively it's a stupid pick.

Okay. I'll play. Here is the draft breakdown of your list. At the end of the season we'll see which of these players ended up contributing more to their teams than Moody. There were too many Jones' listed to know who you were talking about.

The 6-foot-6, 317-pound Saldiveri is recognized as a good athlete with a lot of potential, although he's raw and may not be ready to start as a rookie.

The biggest thing that he will have to work on is his technique playing the position. Which will come with time playing the position since he is still relatively new to it. He can play with a high pad level which doesn't help him win with leverage. Freeland can also have his struggles with edge rushers that bring a variety of moves. Overall, Indianapolis lands an athletic tackle that has the tools to develop into a quality starter at either tackle spots. His addition also gives some competition in training camp for the left tackle spot and a future option at right tackle with Braden Smith only having two years left on his deal after the 2023 season.

49ers were in need of a right tackle and his name was associated with them a lot but their take seems to be that none of the tackles available at that point presented a significant upgrade over what they had or would add more immediate value than Moody. Some in here have called him Mike McGlinchey 2.0 and we all know how popular he was. We'll see if they're right.

Zavala has a big upside as a conditioned pass blocker and smart mover in the run game. Couple that with his prototypical size, and you have a valuable pass blocker with more than one area of expertise. However, as is the issue for so many players, Zavala has yet to show that he can perform at a high level consistently. If he can avoid injury and utilize his speed and knowledge in the NFL, the Panthers will be more than happy with the lineman.

A guy who sat out a year after having back surgery. No thanks to that after the Dee Ford experience.

"Daniels will require development time to refine his footwork and consistency to match up with NFL rushers, but he has the athletic twitch and versatility to boost an offensive line depth chart in the NFL. His experience at multiple positions is a plus and he grades as a swing tackle/guard with down-the-road starting upside.

A possible practice squad player over a day one starter at a position of need. Sure, why not?

Carter Warren Jets/120/T
Warren has prototypical size, length and arm length for the left tackle position. However, he may need to improve his footwork if he wants to start at the NFL level. Warren projects as a depth piece at tackle for the Jets, with the possibility of developing into a starter in the future.

See Blake Freeland above. Another potential practice squad player over a day one starter.

Given his body type, McGuire makes sense as both a defensive end and an outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. However, He hasn't had the reps at linebacker to show NFL teams he is ready to make an impact at that position. We haven't seen McGuire's final form yet. He has room for improvement and could grow into a solid NFL contributor at defensive end or outside linebacker.

Last time I checked Niners don't play a 3-4. Another potential practice squad/rotational player who probably wouldn't make the 53

He boasts some of the best range and change-of-direction ability in the entire draft class but likely isn't getting buzz at the moment because he was an on-ball linebacker for Wisconsin who will have to play off-ball in the NFL.

Apparently the Niners liked the two LB's they drafted. Were split between which one was better and ended up with both. We'll see if they were right.

Long, explosive cornerback who's best as a linear athlete. Stiffness pops when changing directions. The Cowboys like picking some obscure CBs. Wasn't firmly on the draft radar.

NFL.com rated this as the worst pick in the Cowboy's draft with a C- grade. Time will tell.

Darius Rush Colts/138/DB
Two-year starter at cornerback after moving from wide receiver in his redshirt freshman season. Rush is big, long and physical. He struggles to stay connected with routes from both press and off coverages but could improve with more technique work. He will never have the short area foot quickness to mirror and match routes but has impressive ball skills to disrupt the catch when he's in position.

A high-effort player with a unique build, Adebawore consistently figured out ways to disrupt at the college level. He has a naturally low center of gravity that allows him to work his way through traffic with great balance. Where is his home in the NFL? Adebawore doesn't have the kind of bend to threaten as a pass rusher off the edge, but he's undersized and lacks ideal power as an interior run defender, at risk of giving up a lot of ground if he can't immediately shoot a gap.

Phillips is a quick-twitch athlete that was battle-tested by some excellent receivers in the Pac-12. In the biggest of matchups, Phillips displayed his ability to mirror-and-match opposing pass-catchers. Phillips' change of direction abilities allow him to sink his hips and make smooth transitions throughout the progress of a route. He can run step-for-step with receivers while staying within their hip pocket. He measured in at 5'9 and 184 pounds at the 2023 NFL Scouting Combine. Phillips' size deficiencies will lead to instances of his body and frame not allowing him to make the plays his mind can.

Nice write up on his positives. Niners have typically liked their corners to be bigger. Do you suspect he was really an option for them?

Haha whole bunch of subjective takes to try and push a narrative. It's Tyler Scott the WR.

im sure you had moody as your 99th pick in your mock draft. I'm sure you were screaming for SF to take a Kicker in the top 100. I'm sure you wouldn't have laughed at the Rams/AZ or Seattle if they took one in the top 100. Look man we get it you're a fan and will just put on the rose colored glasses and say it was an amazing pick…I disagree with this one and so does a f**k ton of others
It's because 95% of kickers are either UDFAs or late day 3 guys lol.

trying to evaluate kickers is next to impossible, it's such a mental position. you can be a rock solid kicker in college (like the kid from FSU) be one of the most accurate kickers in history… only to go full on Ray Finkle in the pros. It has nothing to do with your talent, you just get into your head then it's over. We see it in the pros all the time. You're literally just hoping that doesn't happen with the guy you draft lol.

There were a lot of people that were skeptical about Aguayo because he kicked in almost exclusively favorable conditions. Never had to kick below 50 degrees and his coaches protected him from having to attempt particularly long kicks. His accuracy 40 yards and under was phenomenal, beyond that, he was average or worse.

I think Moody has a better shot at success than Aguayo simply because Harbaugh is a maniac with no chill in how he used him.
Originally posted by 49ers81:

saldiveri
freeland
Jones
zavala
daniels
Warren
mcguire
herbig
scott
rush
adebawore
Phillips III

Carter Warren Jets/120/T

Darius Rush Colts/138/DB

Haha whole bunch of subjective takes to try and push a narrative. It's Tyler Scott the WR.

im sure you had moody as your 99th pick in your mock draft. I'm sure you were screaming for SF to take a Kicker in the top 100. I'm sure you wouldn't have laughed at the Rams/AZ or Seattle if they took one in the top 100. Look man we get it you're a fan and will just put on the rose colored glasses and say it was an amazing pick…I disagree with this one and so does a f**k ton of others

All of those comments are taken from draft profiles on NFL.com, Athlon. PFF or from the beat writers of the teams that drafted them. I tried to include both the good and the bad. The comments in italics are just my own personal thoughts. I don't do mock drafts because I don't follow college football and I think they're stupid. The chatter seemed to suggest they would take Moody and since they didn't have any picks until the end of the 3rd round it was of little import to me where they selected him after that. If he gives them solid play for the next ten years he will have been well worth the pick,

The players above are all ones you said would be preferable to taking a kicker at that spot. Fine. I've bookmarked the post and at the end of training camp we'll see how they all fared and who's still on the team that drafted them. At the end of the season I will look them all up again and see what kind of contribution they made to their team during the course of the year and we can compare that to the contributions Moody made.

Being a kicker I will imagine he will end up leading the team in points at the very least. Maybe there will be some game winners in there as well. Harder to gauge the impact of his ability to get the ball out of the endzone on kickoffs but there will certainly be a return yards stat and we can see how he measures up in that regard and if it's an improvement over last year's numbers.

Maybe Moody will end up being terrible or one of the players on your list will turn into a stud and make his accomplishments look pale in comparison. Time will tell. The added caveat of course is, not only must they end up making more of a contribution than Moody but, where applicable, they will also have to end up being better than the players the Niners took or kept at similar positions. Those are the rules and the game starts now.
Share 49ersWebzone