There are 238 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This thread is the bright shining example of why draft reactions suck. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many people who know better but have done nothing, yet John and Kyle have taken this team from dumpster fire to yearly contender, having one of the better rosters in the NFL annually. Can you imagine the gall of thinking you know better with 0 history, track record, or experience than a team of individuals who've been very successful in their professional careers and in the position they hold currently? I run into it all day every day, people who don't have an effing clue telling me how I did my job wrong, or how if I did it that way it could be better, or any number of criticisms when the reality is that if any of those people stepped into my shoes they'd be lost and would fail miserably and I imagine the same is true for 99.9999999999999% of all those criticizing.

Yall look like a bunch of silly kids arguing this.
https://www.nfl.com/news/49ers-gm-john-lynch-on-drafting-k-jake-moody-in-third-round-teams-tried-to-get-i

it's this simple - did you want or not the best kicker in the draft that our staff loved? Because someone was going to take him within the next few picks if we didn't. We took him 99 because we didn't have 100, and they thought someone would jump them and snatch him before we could with our final pick in the third round.

it's really that simple. Take a player we coveted and loved or take a project and hope it works out. It's a risk either way and one will be a starter and add elements to our special teams we haven't had in years (touchbacks and hang time). As long as we aren't kicking 50+ yards weekly, we can feel pretty comfortable he will make most kicks. Mentally strong. It's about as comfortable as you can get with a kicker in the draft.

i have zero issue with this. At all. Especially taking a project in this weak ass draft over one of the best kicking prospect in years, per many analysts and teams.

"I can tell you, since then, that a lot of teams have called and said, you know, shortly thereafter they were going there," Lynch said Thursday on KNBR's Murph & Mac show. "And in fact, teams tried to trade up to get in front of us. So, something we feel really good about. Time will tell, as it will with all these guys. But we think he has the makings of a really cornerstone, foundational-type player for years to come for us, and we're proud to have him a part of us." - John Lynch
[ Edited by tankle104 on May 6, 2023 at 11:11 AM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
We're assuming Moody is that generational PK who'll be on the team for 15 years but probability says the UDFA the Rams took, may end up better. That's the topic...value...not the player himself. Same concept with Wishnowsky (I liked that player too).

It is what it is.

Allo this over a 99 pick,...which is essentially a 4th round rounder,...lol.
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by random49er:
You listed 12 guys.

If the 49ers could pick 12 or so guys with ONE late 3rd rd. pick and keep whichever's the best one after a camp,...they'd do so in a heartbeat and not think twice about it.

Problem is,...they only get to choose 1 guy,...not 12 guys like you just did.

Pick 1. Go with 1 so you can't use the other 11 as proof later on. Then we'll have something to go off of. Otherwise.....you're just not saying very much IMO.

If you are sure that this is a bad pick, then tell us who surely would've been a better one? Just 1 player.

I listed 12 players I would have preferred. Take ANY of them.

Doesnt work that way. You can only go with 1. Once u go with one we then have a legit discussion because it's the same thing the 49ers had to do.

They don't get to name 11 other guys they would've taken there as well. If we are going to play this game,...follow the same rules the 49ers had to follow.
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Okay. I'll play. Here is the draft breakdown of your list. At the end of the season we'll see which of these players ended up contributing more to their teams than Moody. There were too many Jones' listed to know who you were talking about.
Haha,...which is exactly what makes it a trash argument. Because when u get to pick 12 guys u're bound to be right with at least a couple of them.

Unless you're putting all of your argument into 1 guy, it's not an argument at all.

If the 49ers had to choose 1,...you choose 1 as well then and let's see who was right.
Originally posted by random49er:
Haha,...which is exactly what makes it a trash argument. Because when u get to pick 12 guys u're bound to be right with at least a couple of them.

Unless you're putting all of your argument into 1 guy, it's not an argument at all.

If the 49ers had to choose 1,...you choose 1 as well then and let's see who was right.

Oh don't you worry. If any of the OTs become anything that guy will be referenced in here ad nauseum.

Dbs not so.much because they don't matter like OL.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on May 6, 2023 at 12:20 PM ]
Originally posted by WINiner:
This thread is the bright shining example of why draft reactions suck. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO many people who know better but have done nothing, yet John and Kyle have taken this team from dumpster fire to yearly contender, having one of the better rosters in the NFL annually. Can you imagine the gall of thinking you know better with 0 history, track record, or experience than a team of individuals who've been very successful in their professional careers and in the position they hold currently? I run into it all day every day, people who don't have an effing clue telling me how I did my job wrong, or how if I did it that way it could be better, or any number of criticisms when the reality is that if any of those people stepped into my shoes they'd be lost and would fail miserably and I imagine the same is true for 99.9999999999999% of all those criticizing.

Yall look like a bunch of silly kids arguing this.

First time?
Anyone know how his college stats stack up against others from college? Robbie Gould was a career 63.9% at Penn State. I don't think anybody pays enough attention to kickers to really know how well, or even if a successful college career translates to the NFL, but Moody has the edge over Gould at 82%. Kickers have to have the easiest transition to the NFL out of any position though, not having to learn playbooks or adjust to the speed of the game.
I was initially against using a 3rd rounder to draft a kicker. But, after several things, my feelings are different:

- only about 12 picks later, NE drafted the 2nd and only other draftable kicker after we selected Moody
- some think drafting in top 100 is ridiculous. Would drafting him 101 make you somehow feel better? And if they risked waiting (yes only 2 picks later is a risk), NE could have traded w/ LV to jump us or some other team possibly.
- Moody has a relationship w/ Robbie Gould and Gould basically gave him his blessing after being drafted by SF. You question mental toughness, but do not put into account the belief that not only the team has in him, but our pro bowl kicker we had for the last several years as well. This is a connection he can continually use in his career
- People harp on drafting Wish in the 4th round as well, but forget that he and Taybor have been together now for years. This tandem will be working together with Moody to give him good structure as a unit.
- Some may criticize drafting for need over BPA. But, when a glaring need is a kicker that we can trust, would you rather have to trust Zane Gonzalez who has had kicking issues in the past or a kicker that is undrafted, unknown, and would also be called upon to make kicks for a super bowl roster?
- Lastly, I've seen the list of other potential draftees that were taken after Moody. That's fine and all, but we only had one pick to choose from that group. We couldn't draft all 10-12 guys with 1 pick and just see who works out for us.

You can watch the group of guys if you want to see who out of it does come out as a reliable to potentially stellar player, but I won't. That's having hindsight and there's no guarantee that if the 49ers didn't draft Moody and instead went for one from that list, that they would have most certainly picked the "right one."

My focus is on Moody and hoping to hear and see him progress during the off-season and then be a strong position for our team.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by davidboutte:
He's the new Trey Lance. He basically has a 1% chance to be worth his drafts status or will always be a mistake. Funny part is if we weren't drafting a 6th round prospects 2 picks later my biggest complaint would be why didn't wait till our last pick in round 3

Which round Latu should of went in is all subjective. Scott Mccloughin, a former GM and a widely respected consultant that numerous teams hire annually to do draft prospect homework for them, had Latu rated as a second round prospect.

honestly, idc about the round as much as I care about them becoming stud players.

it's funny because if you get someone that isn't rated to do well in the later rounds, and he turns out good, you're a genius.

if you draft someone earlier than some think you should, and it works out, you're bad at managing draft capital.

there are 32 very different draft boards and a billion mock drafts. Lol saying who should or went where is a waste, I just hope our draft picks turn into studs.

That's a good take. But 4.78 ruins any 2nd round projection by itself. The top TE Meyer from ND fell to 2nd because he ran 4.70. Latu looks like a day 3 pick from any possible way you look at him. Size, speed. Production. Blocking, hands. If we wanted a longterm backup, that's possible. I don't see more, ever. Hope I'm wrong.

Originally posted by tankle104:
He's the new Trey Lance. He basically has a 1% chance to be worth his drafts status or will always be a mistake. Funny part is if we weren't drafting a 6th round prospects 2 picks later my biggest complaint would be why didn't wait till our last pick in round 3

Which round Latu should of went in is all subjective. Scott Mccloughin, a former GM and a widely respected consultant that numerous teams hire annually to do draft prospect homework for them, had Latu rated as a second round prospect.

honestly, idc about the round as much as I care about them becoming stud players.

it's funny because if you get someone that isn't rated to do well in the later rounds, and he turns out good, you're a genius.

if you draft someone earlier than some think you should, and it works out, you're bad at managing draft capital.

there are 32 very different draft boards and a billion mock drafts. Lol saying who should or went where is a waste, I just hope our draft picks turn into studs.

That's a good take. But 4.78 ruins any 2nd round projection by itself. The top TE Meyer from ND fell to 2nd because he ran 4.70. Latu looks like a day 3 pick from any possible way you look at him. Size, speed. Production. Blocking, hands. If we wanted a longterm backup, that's possible. I don't see more, ever. Hope I'm wrong.

Hmm idk if he looked like a day 3 pick for sure. He definitely isn't a day 1, I'll agree with that. I think he was chose about as early as he should of been, a comp pick in the end of the third. Realistically, If someone's gripe is that he is a day three pick, then he was like only a few picks away from that being a day three pick.

something else we don't know, is how other teams thought about him. That's something I wish we had more insight into that because I think a lot of moves made during the draft relates more so to their inside knowledge of which teams like who and hearing about teams calling around to move up and snatch someone.

That's a big reason why sometimes where someone "should" be drafted vs where they are drafted differ - the inside knowledge regarding which teams really like a player or are trying to move around to get him.
[ Edited by tankle104 on May 6, 2023 at 1:50 PM ]
I wonder if the same teams that called to say they tried to jump ahead of us to draft Moody, were the same "mystery teams" that had offers on the table for Jimmy G? I get the pick, it's what it is. It just seems like at this point they are trying way too hard to justify making it. I'm more upset with the reach for Latu.
You don't realize how important kicker is until you don't have one. Dallas can attest to this
Originally posted by RDB4216:
I wonder if the same teams that called to say they tried to jump ahead of us to draft Moody, were the same "mystery teams" that had offers on the table for Jimmy G? I get the pick, it's what it is. It just seems like at this point they are trying way too hard to justify making it. I'm more upset with the reach for Latu.

He worked out for 8 different teams, that's pretty much unheard of for kickers. So there were definitely many teams interested based on that alone.

I feel you on the Latu pick though.
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Anyone know how his college stats stack up against others from college? Robbie Gould was a career 63.9% at Penn State. I don't think anybody pays enough attention to kickers to really know how well, or even if a successful college career translates to the NFL, but Moody has the edge over Gould at 82%. Kickers have to have the easiest transition to the NFL out of any position though, not having to learn playbooks or adjust to the speed of the game.

I'm not sure exactly how good of a comparison these numbers are, because some guys don't have to ever really kick the more difficult ones often or game winners - but looks like Moody is tied for the 51st best career kick % in college history.

he was probably one of the best all time 40 yards and below - I think he was like high 90% overall. Most of his misses were 45+, mainly 50+. Harbaugh used him like we did Akers here in SF. Haha

The analysis I saw on his missed kicks were either his footwork could of been better or just rough weather. I believe he missed like a 62 yarder.. BARELY but it was perfectly on target - fell short and the returner tried to run it back. so the good news is that they weren't necessarily accuracy issues, just needs to nail down his footwork some more and get some luck weather wise. He hit all of his game tying/game winning kicks and nailed a 59 yard one in the CFP against TCU this year.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/leaders/fg-pct-player-career.html
Share 49ersWebzone