There are 345 users in the forums

Jake Moody-K-Michigan 3rd Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by 9ers4eva:
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
What are talking about ?

Everyone toes the company line that doesn't want to make the radical changes he always wants.

Not sIgning Andrew Norwell, not trading for Khalil Mack and not giving Jimmy G a full Northern Illinois spread offense is what has kept the 9ers from that ring.

How big is that toe?

Not sure why you're so desperate to bring up topics from 15 years ago but you're reaching badly. You can't even remember the premise of any of these. Norwell was a 24 year old all pro guard available in FA (very rare) during a time we were rebuilding and had loads of cash, Pace and Lynch started the same time and had two different philosophies on personnel building, and Mack was a difference maker (we went Ford instead) and it was confirmed by Allbright this FO never even put in a bid for him. And yes, it was a wild theory to think adding more spread concepts would aid a QB who played in that system his entire life until he came here. Wild.

If you're desperate to find areas where I was wrong, just ask, I can give you a list. LOL.

My favorites were Tomsula is going to be a good HC and Baalke is a top 5 GM
What are talking about ?

Everyone toes the company line that doesn't want to make the radical changes he always wants.

Not sIgning Andrew Norwell, not trading for Khalil Mack and not giving Jimmy G a full Northern Illinois spread offense is what has kept the 9ers from that ring.

How big is that toe?

Not sure why you're so desperate to bring up topics from 15 years ago but you're reaching badly. You can't even remember the premise of any of these. Norwell was a 24 year old all pro guard available in FA (very rare) during a time we were rebuilding and had loads of cash, Pace and Lynch started the same time and had two different philosophies on personnel building, and Mack was a difference maker (we went Ford instead) and it was confirmed by Allbright this FO never even put in a bid for him. And yes, it was a wild theory to think adding more spread concepts would aid a QB who played in that system his entire life until he came here. Wild.

If you're desperate to find areas where I was wrong, just ask, I can give you a list. LOL.

Haha it's really not needed at this point. There are plenty of lists out there already.
Originally posted by NYniner85:

moody isn't even some generational kicker lol. I think a good base is to see if Dunn (UDFA) or Moody (3rd) turn out better…people trying to force me to put one name in place of him for argument sake is being dumb. I would have taken a dozen other players over him. it's the 3rd, not the 1st. I never had one guy I needed to have…just don't take a K that early.

IMO it was an arrogant as s**t pick. Acting like we had zero holes or couldn't develop anyone that could start. This team does this stuff every draft. Draft need over BPA. It's not gonna kill us, it's just a horrible way to draft imo.

like others said, if any NFCW team did this they'd be laughing at it. Not a single person in here said "yes please draft a K at 99, seems like a smart value pick"

Teams are scoring more TDs and going for it more on 4th downs. We're trying to kick FGs

Is what it is now, he's gonna have to be generational to justify the pick.…all I've been told is it's SB or bust. No room for development. Now we're gonna roll into the season with a rookie kicker lol.

Imo people trying to argue that it was a good pick are being pretty arrogant about it as well.

You see, this is where your "argument" becomes ridiculous. Why does he have to become a "generational talent" to justify the pick? You might as well make that argument about any player drafted in what was essentially the 4th round. If he ends up holding down that position for the next ten years with solid play, which I will define as making an acceptable percentage of his field goals and extra points, say 80 and 90% plus respectively, how is that not more valuable to the team than a player who might end up being a rotational piece or be out of the league after a few years, which I expect is the fate of most 4th round picks?

You also keep posting lists of where some of the top kickers have been picked which, quite frankly, is a chicken or the egg argument. A lot of great kickers come into the game in late rounds or as UDFA's because that's traditionally where they have been drafted. If you knew a kicker was going to be one of the top-rated kickers in history (and no, I'm not arguing that Moody will become one) don't you suppose that he would be worth a 4th round pick or a 3rd? The problem is, like with any position in any round, you never know who is going to end up being a player in this league so you pay your money and you take your chances.

They needed a kicker so they drafted a kicker who, by most accounts, was the top-rated player at his position in this class. The argument that a player at a position of need, who traditionally leads their team in scoring every year and can have an immediate impact on whether the team wins or loses games is less valuable than some developmental player who may or may not even make it out of training camp or ends up on the practice squad is, to be honest, completely laughable. Especially in a year that most "experts" agreed was pretty thin on top level talent but had some decent depth and in which the team didn't even have a pick until what was, in effect, the 4th round. Quite frankly, I think all this noise about the "value" of the pick is just a bunch of bedwetting and bellyaching.
I literally said your first instinct was right. Just like it's highly likely it's spot on again.

See, when you think independently and don't just tow the company line, you're more often right than not.

How's that Bears Ryan Pace rebuild working out? That Khalil Mack trade is just about ready to take off.

Treasure trove
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
I literally said your first instinct was right. Just like it's highly likely it's spot on again.

See, when you think independently and don't just tow the company line, you're more often right than not.

How's that Bears Ryan Pace rebuild working out? That Khalil Mack trade is just about ready to take off.

What about it? Mack was a stud and the case study proved Pace buried that team.

Didn't you think their path was better than "brick by brick"?

100%

What are talking about ?

When you don't tow the company line and think independently, as rare as it is, you've been right! You weren't a fan of P pickup and you're not a fan of the PK pickup. That wasn't so hard, was it?

You should never condescend to anyone about towing the company line or being wrong on anything related to football
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

moody isn't even some generational kicker lol. I think a good base is to see if Dunn (UDFA) or Moody (3rd) turn out better…people trying to force me to put one name in place of him for argument sake is being dumb. I would have taken a dozen other players over him. it's the 3rd, not the 1st. I never had one guy I needed to have…just don't take a K that early.

IMO it was an arrogant as s**t pick. Acting like we had zero holes or couldn't develop anyone that could start. This team does this stuff every draft. Draft need over BPA. It's not gonna kill us, it's just a horrible way to draft imo.

like others said, if any NFCW team did this they'd be laughing at it. Not a single person in here said "yes please draft a K at 99, seems like a smart value pick"

Teams are scoring more TDs and going for it more on 4th downs. We're trying to kick FGs

Is what it is now, he's gonna have to be generational to justify the pick.…all I've been told is it's SB or bust. No room for development. Now we're gonna roll into the season with a rookie kicker lol.

Imo people trying to argue that it was a good pick are being pretty arrogant about it as well.

You see, this is where your "argument" becomes ridiculous. Why does he have to become a "generational talent" to justify the pick? You might as well make that argument about any player drafted in what was essentially the 4th round. If he ends up holding down that position for the next ten years with solid play, which I will define as making an acceptable percentage of his field goals and extra points, say 80 and 90% plus respectively, how is that not more valuable to the team than a player who might end up being a rotational piece or be out of the league after a few years, which I expect is the fate of most 4th round picks?

You also keep posting lists of where some of the top kickers have been picked which, quite frankly, is a chicken or the egg argument. A lot of great kickers come into the game in late rounds or as UDFA's because that's traditionally where they have been drafted. If you knew a kicker was going to be one of the top-rated kickers in history (and no, I'm not arguing that Moody will become one) don't you suppose that he would be worth a 4th round pick or a 3rd? The problem is, like with any position in any round, you never know who is going to end up being a player in this league so you pay your money and you take your chances.

They needed a kicker so they drafted a kicker who, by most accounts, was the top-rated player at his position in this class. The argument that a player at a position of need, who traditionally leads their team in scoring every year and can have an immediate impact on whether the team wins or loses games is less valuable than some developmental player who may or may not even make it out of training camp or ends up on the practice squad is, to be honest, completely laughable. Especially in a year that most "experts" agreed was pretty thin on top level talent but had some decent depth and in which the team didn't even have a pick until what was, in effect, the 4th round. Quite frankly, I think all this noise about the "value" of the pick is just a bunch of bedwetting and bellyaching.

I agree about the generational thing. Since when did a player that was essentially a 4th round pick need to be generational. I don't care what position the guy plays if he can help the team. Unless he's really bad then it's the right pick. He should provide a little more range than Gould on FGs and thus will allow Wish to concentrate on punting since he won't be called upon to kickoff. As long as he can convert about 80% of his FG attempts I'm fine with the pick.
Originally posted by GoreGoreGore:
What are talking about ?

How big is that toe?

My favorites were Tomsula is going to be a good HC and Baalke is a top 5 GM

1 never happened. Damn near puked at that choice. My choice was both Shanahan's. Tried to "see" the rationale behind it but personally hated the Tomsula pick.

Totally. That would be top on my list. I genuinely thought he could do it solo. That taught me neither he nor McDrunk could ride solo. There needed to be a full team in the FO like Lynch immediately established here. Case in point. Technically he was a top EOTY though like Lynch. LOL. But his probably wasn't warranted. He's doing solid in JAX though so maybe he's learned.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

What about it? Mack was a stud and the case study proved Pace buried that team.

Didn't you think their path was better than "brick by brick"?

100%

Getting Mack is always better than Ford esp. given when we needed him most. But that was never my angle. Not trying for him was.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 7, 2023 at 9:14 AM ]
You should never condescend to anyone about towing the company line or being wrong on anything related to football

You can't be wrong if you never put yourself out there. Too bad. I just proved you could be right in the rare case you have an independent thought. If only 9ers4eva could have an opinion/plan on the neglect on the secondary, we'd actually have something to talk about.

How big is that toe?

Desperation is trying to call out other posters as apologetic homers who don't want the radical changes you espouse.

Don't need a list, as Hoov said the rebuilding thread does it for us. As does the OL thread.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I agree about the generational thing. Since when did a player that was essentially a 4th round pick need to be generational. I don't care what position the guy plays if he can help the team. Unless he's really bad then it's the right pick. He should provide a little more range than Gould on FGs and thus will allow Wish to concentrate on punting since he won't be called upon to kickoff. As long as he can convert about 80% of his FG attempts I'm fine with the pick.

I don't get the generational label either but he better be top notch when it's all said and done BECAUSE so few teams have ever taken a kicker that high in history between the 1st and 3rd rounds. Therefore, by default, he absolutely has to be one of the best esp. compared to those taken later.

It's no different than expecting Brown to be a top S in this draft. That's where the team valued them and the expectations will follow...just like with Wishnowsky.
[ Edited by NCommand on May 7, 2023 at 9:21 AM ]
You can't be wrong if you never put yourself out there. Too bad. I just proved you could be right in the rare case you have an independent thought. If only 9ers4eva could have an opinion/plan on the neglect on the secondary, we'd actually have something to talk about.

What part of hey let's use a pick before the 3rd round one of those years isn't a plan? Or you know move on from Jimmy so we can sign someone like the Honey Badger.

The Bears rebuilding plan was crap then and now. Moving multiple firsts for non QBs doesn't work. Draft and develop is the way to go. Look where we are.
[ Edited by 9ers4eva on May 7, 2023 at 9:24 AM ]

What part of hey let's use a pick before the 3rd round one of those years isn't a plan? Or you know move on from Jimmy so we can sign someone the Honey Badger.

Same crap. What's been your plan to do that the last 7 off seasons? Not a peep...just, "We should prioritize the secondary more." No s**t? You don't say? Instead you're too busy towing the company line. It's an opinion forum. Have one. LOL
Same crap. What's been your plan to do that the last 7 off seasons? Not a peep...just, "We should prioritize the secondary more." No s**t? You don't say? Instead you're too busy towing the company line. It's an opinion forum. Have one. LOL

My opinion is everything you want to do is wrong.

Better?
Share 49ersWebzone