LISTEN: 49ers Make A Statement In Week 1 Win →

There are 171 users in the forums

Coach - Steve Wilks thread

Shop 49ers game tickets
Originally posted by ComeOnDeberg:
Thanksgiving Nov 23 if Wilks still calling the defense plays

Geno has never played too well against this defense.

If their running game gets going though...yeah that would be a shame
[ Edited by the_dynasty on Nov 2, 2023 at 7:16 PM ]
Originally posted by the_dynasty:

Lasts years defense with Demeco running the show. Against Wilks we will find out.
Originally posted by mitpdub:
Lasts years defense with Demeco running the show. Against Wilks we will find out.

I don't wanna f**k around and find out anymore 😩
We should've just hired fangio. By this time the defense would've been rolling, and we would've had a D-coordinator for a long time.
Originally posted by SFTifoso:
We should've just hired fangio. By this time the defense would've been rolling, and we would've had a D-coordinator for a long time.

Fangio is doing bad in Miami too
Originally posted by frenchmov:

Fangio is doing bad in Miami too

They don't have the pieces we do.
If they can't fix the pass rush with a bye and the addition of Gregory / Chase Young

Has there ever been such a drop off? Same players not getting older but actually entering their prime and go from #1-2 to bottom half.

I doubt Wilks is going to add any strategy if he doesn't even know the defense we run. I don't get the whole bring him down to the field thing, how does that help? So we can baby sit him on calling plays? Wtf
Wilks is not a guy with a lot of Xs and Os experience. He has more of a background as a secondary coach with additional head coaching experience - not a play caller. I'm afraid he is over is head with this role. I hope he can turn it around but I'm not confident.
Originally posted by Since07:
If they can't fix the pass rush with a bye and the addition of Gregory / Chase Young

Has there ever been such a drop off? Same players not getting older but actually entering their prime and go from #1-2 to bottom half.

I doubt Wilks is going to add any strategy if he doesn't even know the defense we run. I don't get the whole bring him down to the field thing, how does that help? So we can baby sit him on calling plays? Wtf

No, I can't think of any time a drop off has ever been this bad - especially after the ADDITION of the top FA pass rushing DT, or similar. I don't think Wilks being on the sideline will make a difference at all, and may actually get worse. Shanny talked about the benefits of calling from the booth - the more clear view point and having space to set out your plan - and with that, the idiot Wilks STILL called a zero blitz with 10 seconds left in the half! The real benefit of being on the sidelines is getting the players fired up, and Wilks just isn't that kind of coach - way different than Ryans and Saleh! I don't see anything getting better as long as Wilks is calling plays. The whole idea when he was signed, was to keep the front 7 playing the same, and for him to bring in some better coverage concepts and disguise coverages better. That is absolutely NOT what has happened. The fact that Shanny and Lynch are tolerating this, really makes me question their leadership.
ooOriginally posted by the_dynasty:

Their rookie RB Charbonnet is breaking out which is scary. Hopefully the Ravens crush them hard this Sunday to weaken their spirits.

Originally posted by 49erKing:
ooOriginally posted by the_dynasty:

Their rookie RB Charbonnet is breaking out which is scary. Hopefully the Ravens crush them hard this Sunday to weaken their spirits.

He is?

Scheme doesn't fit personnel. Should have promoted from within.
There's no excuse now for this team not getting to the QB. There wasn't even before they got Chase Young and Gregory. Bosa needs to get back to his level of play that he had last yer. I watched the Bengals game again last night and Bosa was consistently handled by the tackle with no double teaming. I watched him on every snap until the 4th quarter and the double teaming wasn't there. He was charging straight into the tackle who was able to hold him off without any help. Sometimes there was a back ready to assist if anyone broke through but they weren't needed. Bosa and the rest of the line just isn't getting the job done. They're getting some pressure but obviously not enough because opposing teams are able to consistently complete passes. Burrow set a personal record for consecutive completions.If he was getting enough pressure then that wouldn't happen.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
There's no excuse now for this team not getting to the QB. There wasn't even before they got Chase Young and Gregory. Bosa needs to get back to his level of play that he had last yer. I watched the Bengals game again last night and Bosa was consistently handled by the tackle with no double teaming. I watched him on every snap until the 4th quarter and the double teaming wasn't there. He was charging straight into the tackle who was able to hold him off without any help. Sometimes there was a back ready to assist if anyone broke through but they weren't needed. Bosa and the rest of the line just isn't getting the job done. They're getting some pressure but obviously not enough because opposing teams are able to consistently complete passes. Burrow set a personal record for consecutive completions.If he was getting enough pressure then that wouldn't happen.

I've been watching Gregory and been pretty disappointed. He gets easily washed out most of the time or even put on the ground. It's starting to make sense now how Ilm Manning was able to handle him so easy. He's not the same guy he was in the past IMO.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 3, 2023 at 7:38 AM ]
They don't have the pieces we do.

The 49ers don't have the pieces for a Fangio defense either. He was only a realistic candidate if he was willing to change up his approach upfront, which he clearly was not.
Share 49ersWebzone