LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 237 users in the forums

Ji'Ayir "Tig" Brown-S-Penn State, 3rd round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't think he has the speed for single high. But hey none of our safeties do so he fits right in. Wilks will make it work.
Originally posted by lamontb:
I don't think he has the speed for single high. But hey none of our safeties do so he fits right in. Wilks will make it work.

That's what was said about Huff too and he played single high many times. Being able to play that role isn't all about speed, it's instinct, and I take that all day over speed from defensive backs.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
That's what was said about Huff too and he played single high many times. Being able to play that role isn't all about speed, it's instinct, and I take that all day over speed from defensive backs.

How much single high did he actually play? And huff has proven a lot of people wrong in here (including myself) but he wasn't exactly locking it down deep. I read somewhere we were top 5 in giving up 20+ yards plays last yr.

i agree instincts > speed…but like Crocker says, you don't need speed until you need it.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on May 21, 2023 at 5:01 AM ]
Originally posted by NYniner85:

How much single high did he actually play? And huff has proven a lot of people wrong in here (including myself) but he wasn't exactly locking it down deep. I read somewhere we were top 5 in giving up 20+ yards plays last yr.

i agree instincts > speed…but like Crocker says, you don't need speed until you need it.

I have seen Hufanga lack of deep speed come up a couple times. I remember a touchdown where the wide out went right by him. He had pretty good position, but just lost the footrace. My main concern is having 2 guys in the back end like that, although we already do. Gipson came out of no where last year and the back end looked good, but how much of that was due to Bosa pressuring every play except when triple teamed. I would have preferred someone that had the speed to compliment Hufanga, but apparently Brown has good game speed. Instincts are great, but having too many slow guys dependent on them creates match up opportunities that can be exploited, and I don't like that.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
I have seen Hufanga lack of deep speed come up a couple times. I remember a touchdown where the wide out went right by him. He had pretty good position, but just lost the footrace. My main concern is having 2 guys in the back end like that, although we already do. Gipson came out of no where last year and the back end looked good, but how much of that was due to Bosa pressuring every play except when triple teamed. I would have preferred someone that had the speed to compliment Hufanga, but apparently Brown has good game speed. Instincts are great, but having too many slow guys dependent on them creates match up opportunities that can be exploited, and I don't like that.

It just depends on the coverage you want to play.

I don't know the exact count on how many times but he did play it and speed didn't stop the coaching staff from putting him there, this isn't debatable. He even had snaps in that role as a rookie. I will put my neck out there and say that Brown will also get snaps as the single high. You don't need speed until you need it can be said about ANY position on defense, minus maybe the DTs whose sole purpose is to eat up blockers. Game speed > underwear speed IMO, and both Huff and Brown were timed over 21mph, so whatever with this "they slow" crap already for me. Gipson and Huff, two guys people keep saying is too slow for this or that, provided us an awesome tandem last season, with more turnovers than ANY season under the Lynch/Shanny regime with Ward/Tartt or any other combo. Huff was a first team all-pro, when was the last time we had that at safety?

One last thing, Ed Reed, who many consider the best safety of all time and was a ridiculous playmaker, I've seen him as the deep safety many times, 40 time: 4.57

Yup this is ultimately the case. My original response was to the poster saying that he doesn't think he (Brown) has the speed to play single high. Well, same things were said about Huff and the coaching staff disagreed.

Yup this is ultimately the case. My original response was to the poster saying that he doesn't think he (Brown) has the speed to play single high. Well, same things were said about Huff and the coaching staff disagreed.

…,,and Huff was chosen All Pro and Pro Bowl last year.
he might be taking gipson's job earlier than initially thought
[ Edited by DonnieDarko on May 21, 2023 at 5:40 PM ]

I don't know the exact count on how many times but he did play it and speed didn't stop the coaching staff from putting him there, this isn't debatable. He even had snaps in that role as a rookie. I will put my neck out there and say that Brown will also get snaps as the single high. You don't need speed until you need it can be said about ANY position on defense, minus maybe the DTs whose sole purpose is to eat up blockers. Game speed > underwear speed IMO, and both Huff and Brown were timed over 21mph, so whatever with this "they slow" crap already for me. Gipson and Huff, two guys people keep saying is too slow for this or that, provided us an awesome tandem last season, with more turnovers than ANY season under the Lynch/Shanny regime with Ward/Tartt or any other combo. Huff was a first team all-pro, when was the last time we had that at safety?

One last thing, Ed Reed, who many consider the best safety of all time and was a ridiculous playmaker, I've seen him as the deep safety many times, 40 time: 4.57

Reed is the perfect example of athletic ability + exceptional instincts +FILM STUDY. Dude was like Peyton Manning at free safety in terms of how he prepared.

I prefer Ji'Ayir to Tig. Hope he decides to go by his actual name in the pros rather than that weird Winnie the Poo nickname.
Hope we get some footage of him soon.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Hope we get some footage of him soon.

I'm sure there will be tomorrow
Looks like he'll need some work. He seems to sniff out the play but doesn't always finish. Lots of whiffs and bad angles.
[ Edited by Young2Rice on May 22, 2023 at 10:14 PM ]
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Reed is the perfect example of athletic ability + exceptional instincts +FILM STUDY. Dude was like Peyton Manning at free safety in terms of how he prepared.

Ed Reed is my favorite defender of all time. I love the comparison and I see what everyone is saying. Our success with Hufanga is all that kept me from being upset. This coaching staff has earned my trust back. I love this team and want anyone who wears our colors to be successful. Just wanted to make an observation. I also wonder how much of our concerns stem from madden speed ratings. My own included, but you cannot argue with the performance put up last year by the duo. I still get the impression that it was an outlier and not sustainable and the defense will have to evolve in order to maintain their success. Slow safeties gives us a weakness to target still, but a solid pass rush offsets deep speed and creates turnovers. So I guess my real concern is Bosa made the back end look better, and they will potentially be exposed this year causing a major regression, and that's why Bosa will be the highest paid defender in NFL history soon. His impact was so great he offsets the lack of speed in the secondary a majority of the time.
[ Edited by NTeply49 on May 23, 2023 at 6:28 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone