LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 132 users in the forums

Ji'Ayir "Tig" Brown-S-Penn State, 3rd round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
If he cleans up some of his angles when going in for the tackle then I think we see him become our starter before year end. Really like this kid
Originally posted by Waterbear:
Originally posted by 49ers808:
Yup this is ultimately the case. My original response was to the poster saying that he doesn't think he (Brown) has the speed to play single high. Well, same things were said about Huff and the coaching staff disagreed.

Exactly we were right then and we will be right again with Brown. This guys gonna be very good. Like we said it's much better to have playmakers that can get turnovers than people that are solid in coverage and are better tacklers.

turnovers is the biggest factor in winning/losing games. Glad we have an all pro in Huf to support our case and this guy looks like he will be a solid playmaker as well. Wasn't he the only defensive back in college got 10 interceptions the last two years?
With the talk already being about getting Brown on the field in 3 safety sets, it's got me wondering who will get more snaps - Brown or Oliver. Everything that Wilkes said about Oliver bringing as a Nickel, it looks like Brown can do.
I think he's going to learn a ton from Gipson too. Gipson seems like he's always in the right place at the right time and knows this is his last year with Hufanga. I'm sure he'd be happy to pass on his veteran knowledge to Brown. He seems like that kind of guy.
  • thl408
Originally posted by RDB4216:
With the talk already being about getting Brown on the field in 3 safety sets, it's got me wondering who will get more snaps - Brown or Oliver. Everything that Wilkes said about Oliver bringing as a Nickel, it looks like Brown can do.

Did the three safety idea come from Wilks' mouth, or a random podcaster? My assumption is that if Brown gets snaps with three safety looks, it's the SAM linebacker that comes off the field.
Originally posted by thl408:

Did the three safety idea come from Wilks' mouth, or a random podcaster? My assumption is that if Brown gets snaps with three safety looks, it's the SAM linebacker that comes off the field.

Yeah, between Oliver (SCB) and Brown (S), the SAM may never see the field again. LOL

The initial thing I saw was from Lombardi, but my understanding was it came from a comment Wilks made. It was just a simple "Wanting to get Brown experience on the field in some 3 safety sets". And yes, either in a 3 safety set or nickel, it's likely the SAM coming off the wield. I'm just wondering if we will see more 3 safety or nickel. I understand Wilks ran nickel a lot in Carolina (as most teams do now), but that makes the box a bit lighter against the run. A 3 safety set makes that a little "less light", and with Brown - potentially not losing much (if anything) in coverage.
Originally posted by NCommand:

Yeah, between Oliver (SCB) and Brown (S), the SAM may never see the field again. LOL

Oh yeah, I can see it now: "Yay I won the STARTING SAM job. Yay....whatever."

LOL, exactly.

"Would you consider cross training at FB too?"
[ Edited by NCommand on Jun 4, 2023 at 12:04 PM ]

LOL, exactly.

"Would you consider cross training at FB too?"

Man this defense is gonna be legit fire IMO

DE- Nick Bosa
DT- Javon Hargrave
DT- Arik Armstead
DE- Drake Jackson
MLB- Fred Warner
WLB- Dre Greenlaw
SLB- Dee Winters/Jalen Graham/Oren Burks
CB1- Mooney Ward
CB2- Deommodore Lenoir
Slot CB- Isaiah Oliver
FS- Tashuan Gipson
SS- Talanoa Hufanga
S3- Ji'Ayir Brown
The initial thing I saw was from Lombardi, but my understanding was it came from a comment Wilks made. It was just a simple "Wanting to get Brown experience on the field in some 3 safety sets". And yes, either in a 3 safety set or nickel, it's likely the SAM coming off the wield. I'm just wondering if we will see more 3 safety or nickel. I understand Wilks ran nickel a lot in Carolina (as most teams do now), but that makes the box a bit lighter against the run. A 3 safety set makes that a little "less light", and with Brown - potentially not losing much (if anything) in coverage.

Wilks ran the most 3 safety sets in the league last year. The difference though was they had Jeremy Chinn as the S/LB in those sets. He's 6'3 220.

I honestly believe Winter or Graham will occupy that role for us.
Ja'Ayir will play the same role as jeremy chinn in wilks defense
Originally posted by Bahamas_9er:
Ja'Ayir will play the same role as jeremy chinn in wilks defense

I doubt it. They were looking at LB/S for a reason. JB can't play that role IMO.
Share 49ersWebzone