LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 135 users in the forums

Ji'Ayir "Tig" Brown-S-Penn State, 3rd round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by krizay:
I doubt it. They were looking at LB/S for a reason. JB can't play that role IMO.

Why not?
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jun 4, 2023 at 6:03 PM ]
Originally posted by AB81Rules:
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by RDB4216:
Originally posted by thl408:
With the talk already being about getting Brown on the field in 3 safety sets, it's got me wondering who will get more snaps - Brown or Oliver. Everything that Wilkes said about Oliver bringing as a Nickel, it looks like Brown can do.

Did the three safety idea come from Wilks' mouth, or a random podcaster? My assumption is that if Brown gets snaps with three safety looks, it's the SAM linebacker that comes off the field.

Yeah, between Oliver (SCB) and Brown (S), the SAM may never see the field again. LOL

Oh yeah, I can see it now: "Yay I won the STARTING SAM job. Yay....whatever."

LOL, exactly.

"Would you consider cross training at FB too?"

Man this defense is gonna be legit fire IMO

DE- Nick Bosa
DT- Javon Hargrave
DT- Arik Armstead
DE- Drake Jackson
MLB- Fred Warner
WLB- Dre Greenlaw
SLB- Dee Winters/Jalen Graham/Oren Burks
CB1- Mooney Ward
CB2- Deommodore Lenoir
Slot CB- Isaiah Oliver
FS- Tashuan Gipson
SS- Talanoa Hufanga
S3- Ji'Ayir Brown

I'd like some better depth, but you are correct, 🔥 🔥
Originally posted by Bahamas_9er:
Ja'Ayir will play the same role as jeremy chinn in wilks defense

I doubt it. They were looking at LB/S for a reason. JB can't play that role IMO.

What made Chinn so good was his versatility. Able to cover and blitz, and being a playmaker in both roles. That sounds a lot like Ja'Ayir Brown to me. Wilks wanted LB's that can run and blitz too, and that will also come into play. Splitting reps between Brown/Oliver/SAM will be interesting for sure. Next year with Brown starting at safety will ease that some, but this year it's going to be people fighting over reps. Glad we signed Oliver to a 2 year deal.
Originally posted by Bahamas_9er:
Ja'Ayir will play the same role as jeremy chinn in wilks defense

lol
  • thl408
The initial thing I saw was from Lombardi, but my understanding was it came from a comment Wilks made. It was just a simple "Wanting to get Brown experience on the field in some 3 safety sets". And yes, either in a 3 safety set or nickel, it's likely the SAM coming off the wield. I'm just wondering if we will see more 3 safety or nickel. I understand Wilks ran nickel a lot in Carolina (as most teams do now), but that makes the box a bit lighter against the run. A 3 safety set makes that a little "less light", and with Brown - potentially not losing much (if anything) in coverage.

Wilks ran the most 3 safety sets in the league last year. The difference though was they had Jeremy Chinn as the S/LB in those sets. He's 6'3 220.

I honestly believe Winter or Graham will occupy that role for us.

Curious where you got that stat from (Wilks using the most 3 safety sets in the league).
  • thl408
Originally posted by thl408:
With the talk already being about getting Brown on the field in 3 safety sets, it's got me wondering who will get more snaps - Brown or Oliver. Everything that Wilkes said about Oliver bringing as a Nickel, it looks like Brown can do.

Did the three safety idea come from Wilks' mouth, or a random podcaster? My assumption is that if Brown gets snaps with three safety looks, it's the SAM linebacker that comes off the field.

The initial thing I saw was from Lombardi, but my understanding was it came from a comment Wilks made. It was just a simple "Wanting to get Brown experience on the field in some 3 safety sets". And yes, either in a 3 safety set or nickel, it's likely the SAM coming off the wield. I'm just wondering if we will see more 3 safety or nickel. I understand Wilks ran nickel a lot in Carolina (as most teams do now), but that makes the box a bit lighter against the run. A 3 safety set makes that a little "less light", and with Brown - potentially not losing much (if anything) in coverage.

For three safety sets, the tradeoff regarding run defense versus coverage depends on whether the three safeties are being used versus 2WR or 3WR sets for the offense. If three safeties are being used versus 2WR, then there's a boost to coverage and a reduction of run defense (SAM's run defense > safety's run defense). If the three safeties are used versus 3WR (no slot CB), then there's a boost to run defense and a reduction in coverage (slot CB coverage > safety's coverage).

My point is, it depends what offensive personnel is on the field when the three safeties are on the field. There's also a scenario where it's three safeties AND Oliver on the field (Warner is the only LB on the field). I don't think I'd like that because Greenlaw is a damn good coverage LB so it's hard for me to justify taking him off the field for a rookie safety I know little about.
How is he doing in camp?
I need to see more. Gipson shouldn't be benched by any means and he's been great but I'd like to see Brown get more time to see what he can do.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I need to see more. Gipson shouldn't be benched by any means and he's been great but I'd like to see Brown get more time to see what he can do.

I mean- Gipson's played great and I'm okay with that. Maybe we can have a three TD lead in the 4th and he can get significant playing time.
I damn near forgot about this guy. So much for the 3-S looks.

I damn near forgot about this guy. So much for the 3-S looks.

Lol this... I didn't even recognize the name at first.
Yea I forgot they even drafted him. The guy has to earn his time and beat out Gipson. Can't just play him just to play him unless it's a blow out. They'll ease him in when he's ready.
Shanahan on Brown yesterday... (via Barrows)

"Brown, who got two snaps at the end of the Giants game, recorded his first tackle on defense Sunday and also his first special teams tackle, an impressive one on which he cut down kick returner Greg Dortch at the Arizona 16-yard line.

"It feels like we got the right guy," Shanahan said of Brown. "Just the way he carries himself each day on the practice field. He's really owned his role when he's taken the backup reps at safety. He's getting better at safety. The special teams stuff — he's getting better each week and he's become a real force out there. … When he does get his opportunity (on defense) he's gonna be ready."
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

"Brown, who got two snaps at the end of the Giants game, recorded his first tackle on defense Sunday and also his first special teams tackle, an impressive one on which he cut down kick returner Greg Dortch at the Arizona 16-yard line.

"It feels like we got the right guy," Shanahan said of Brown. "Just the way he carries himself each day on the practice field. He's really owned his role when he's taken the backup reps at safety. He's getting better at safety. The special teams stuff — he's getting better each week and he's become a real force out there. … When he does get his opportunity (on defense) he's gonna be ready."

Learning from a real pro like TG will be huge for the young man also.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheXFactor:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

Learning from a real pro like TG will be huge for the young man also.

Looking forward to his development. We'll need him to get better as we approach the playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone