There are 268 users in the forums

Ji'Ayir "Tig" Brown-S-Penn State, 3rd round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
He was a huge ballhawk in College. He was even in the game today minus the first one where he got burned. But he has good playmaking and ball skills. I think we will be OK with him. He's actually a little faster than Hufanga too. I think we will be fine with him actually.

I was a huge fan of his coming up to the draft, thought he was the best fit for us and our safety need. I genuinely think we will be just fine. He will be attacked early and often but I think he will be fine

remmeber huff came out of no where and got all pro his first year. So I think brown is in a great situation like Brock was, got a chance to sit back and learn during his first season before having to play. If this was week 1, I'd be concerned, but he understands how to prep and the system etc.

dude was a freak in college. I think we are in good hands.

my prediction for next year was that brown made at least the pro bowl. I feel like brown will be a future all pro for us.
Originally posted by DRCHOWDER:
Got burned, but recovered and played well and got an INT! shows that he can fight through and improve!

He looks slow to me for some reason even though some have said hes faster than huf?

Yeah so he dropped in the draft because his 40, probably would of been a first or early second otherwise.

But the good news is that in college, his GPS data showed he was constantly the fastest player on the field. So football speed is great - similar to how huff was considered slow but moves fast on the field
Originally posted by tankle104:
He was a huge ballhawk in College. He was even in the game today minus the first one where he got burned. But he has good playmaking and ball skills. I think we will be OK with him. He's actually a little faster than Hufanga too. I think we will be fine with him actually.

I was a huge fan of his coming up to the draft, thought he was the best fit for us and our safety need. I genuinely think we will be just fine. He will be attacked early and often but I think he will be fine

remmeber huff came out of no where and got all pro his first year. So I think brown is in a great situation like Brock was, got a chance to sit back and learn during his first season before having to play. If this was week 1, I'd be concerned, but he understands how to prep and the system etc.

my prediction for next year was that brown made at least the pro bowl. I feel like brown will be a future all pro for us.

I really expect him to do well. Very well.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by the_dynasty:
Originally posted by Crown:
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
He's an excellent find.

Made a mistake and didn't fold like an accordion.

Came back and made his presence felt.

I love it, it reminds me of the first time Varret got on the field and got burned for a touchdown, came after that, and was lights out the rest of the game

If you're talking about 2019,when Ahkello got hurt and Verrett came in and got a td on him by Mason Rudolph, Verrett came out of the game right away and was replaced by Moseley.

Verrett had four snaps that entire year.

I'll have to think about it.

I remember in a game he came in and got burned for a TD.

Then was lock down for the rest of the game.

I think....

I really expect him to do well. Very well.

As do I, my man. As do I. I've been really high on him. Love his energy, character, play style, intelligence, athleticism. I think he's an ideal fit for what we run here. Now we just need to hope it translates to the field.
I think Brown and Huf are similar players. So I don't think we will lose much.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
I think Brown and Huf are similar players. So I don't think we will lose much.

Agreed. Was really looking forward to seeing both of them on the field together
The kids time has come. Make the most of it!
Next man up
The hardest thing for a young safety is not to be too aggressive take the bait. We're gonna have to take the lumps with Brown at times. If he can learn to be aggressive but smart, we might not miss a beat with Brown. Cautiously optimistic.

I get a sense, Brown might be young but he might have better safety instinct than Huff...
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Nov 20, 2023 at 7:10 AM ]

Originally posted by qnnhan7:
The hardest thing for a young safety is not to be too aggressive take the bait. We're gonna have to take the lumps with Brown at times. If he can learn to be aggressive but smart, we might not miss a beat with Brown. Cautiously optimistic.

I get a sense, Brown might be young but he might have better safety instinct than Huff...

Also he was on the sideline last week hyping up the team as they blew out the jags(from the 49ers video). He's gonna be a future leader too.
[ Edited by VaBeachNiner on Nov 20, 2023 at 7:26 AM ]
Got burned, but recovered and played well and got an INT! shows that he can fight through and improve!

He looks slow to me for some reason even though some have said hes faster than huf?

Yeah so he dropped in the draft because his 40, probably would of been a first or early second otherwise.

But the good news is that in college, his GPS data showed he was constantly the fastest player on the field. So football speed is great - similar to how huff was considered slow but moves fast on the field

That really wasn't the reason he dropped to the third. His scouting report details several issues that showed up alarmingly often on tape: lack of discipline and focus, poor footwork in coverage, and poor tackling downhill.

I hope he's addressed these problems because I was truly surprised how much he seemed to struggle with some of the basic stuff you need to do well with to succeed in the NFL.

His instincts take him to the right spot though, and he's a high character type, and good on the LOS and blitzing. He was drafted for that and for Wilks scheme IMO. He is essentially bigger version of Oliver at safety.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Nov 20, 2023 at 7:28 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:

Also he was on the sideline last week hyping up the team as they blew out the jags(from the 49ers video). He's gonna a future leader too.

Yeah I caught that. Not that being loud automatically makes him a leader, but he definitely came across as being vocally energetic.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

That really wasn't the reason he dropped to the third. His scouting report details several issues that showed up alarmingly often on tape: lack of discipline and focus, poor footwork in coverage, and poor tackling downhill.

I hope he's addressed these problems because I was truly surprised how much he seemed to struggle with some of the basic stuff you need to do well with to succeed in the NFL.

His instincts take him to the right spot though, and he's a high character type, and good on the LOS and blitzing. He was drafted for that and for Wilks scheme IMO. He is essentially bigger version of Oliver at safety.

Hoping solid pass rush can cover for his growing pains.
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Saw his height/weight and thought he sounded small for a safety. I had no idea Hufanga's only 200 lbs. He looks almost Fred Warner size, so I thought for sure he was 210-215.
Share 49ersWebzone