There are 267 users in the forums

Ji'Ayir "Tig" Brown-S-Penn State, 3rd round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I also don't understand the issue with letting the rook sit. Hufanga wasn't a starter his first year. Banks wasn't a starter his first year. Both of them turned out to be very solid players for this team.

The problem is that our injuries have prevented that. That was the plan.

im a big fan of brown but you can't expect perfect play right from the start. He has done well given the circumstances. Just want to see him grow week to week and get more comfortable. We will need him tuned up for the playoffs.
Originally posted by jed_X:
Just watched JT's qb school film breadown of Jalen Hurts and this guy was making so many mistakes like blown coverages miss tackles and stuff. He looked rough out there. Hopefully logan ryan is ready next week because this guy could us cost super bowl the way he was playing.

He really is not playing well. I think he will get better, though.

Still, I think the 49ers recognized that and decided to sign Ryan for that exact reason.
[ Edited by Leathaface on Dec 7, 2023 at 10:16 AM ]
  • thl408
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Saw an article a few minutes ago saying Brown led the team in tackles against Philly. Went back to try and find it to repost but it got lost in the ethernet somewhere. I'm sure he still has a lot to learn about playing safety in the NFL, but if he led the team in tackles it would seem to indicate he isn't afraid of getting in there and mixing it up, which is at least one of the things you want out of a safety.

Oh he gets in there. That's not the issue. The issue is getting in there while not breaking down the ball carrier and/or not wrapping up the ball carrier. I wouldn't look at boxscores to gauge how well a defensive player performed, the number of tackles can be misleading.

I'm actually not worried (yet) about his coverage miscues because I feel that will improve with experience and coaching - and he deserves every chance to play and improve. I'm more concerned how he misses tackles. Players don't get to rep full contact tackling in practice so he needs to improve on this somehow, quickly.
Really feel we need some serious competition for Brown next year. Never assume he gets it all cleaned up.
Originally posted by tankle104:
I also don't understand the issue with letting the rook sit. Hufanga wasn't a starter his first year. Banks wasn't a starter his first year. Both of them turned out to be very solid players for this team.

im a big fan of brown but you can't expect perfect play right from the start. He has done well given the circumstances. Just want to see him grow week to week and get more comfortable. We will need him tuned up for the playoffs.

If Brown continues to struggle and Logan gets up to speed over the next few weeks, I think we need to make the switch. This isn't 2021 barely getting into the playoffs. The time to win the SB is now. This team is ready. Can't afford to give the rook the rest of the season to figure it out.

If Brown continues to struggle and Logan gets up to speed over the next few weeks, I think we need to make the switch. This isn't 2021 barely getting into the playoffs. The time to win the SB is now. This team is ready. Can't afford to give the rook the rest of the season to figure it out.

I'd be fine with that. You're right that now is the time to do whatever we can to win NOW and not be concerned with his development, that can wait till the off season and next year.

Especially come playoffs because Logan is super experienced in regards to the playoffs and we all know how the playoffs are a different animal.

like I said, I'm a huge brown fan but if he's currently the weakest link - I fully support putting in an experienced reliable vet (assuming Logan is).
I keep hearing brown isn't playing well but I don't think that's the case. I know he's missed a couple tackles but as a whole, has he really be playing poorly?

"Since then, the rookie safety has played 100 percent of the defensive snaps, totaling 56 and 72 snaps in the last two games. Pro Football Focus ranks Brown as the second-highest graded rookie safety and the fourth-highest graded rookie defensive back.

Despite being a rookie, Brown carries himself like a seasoned veteran, earning admiration from experienced leaders like linebacker Fred Warner.

"As soon as he came into the team, I felt like he was very mature for his age, even being a rookie," Warner said on Wednesday. "Everybody kind of called him like the young vet, even though he hadn't really been on the field much, aside from special teams. He just kind of had that presence about him since the day he got here, and you could tell it's meant a lot to him, and he takes it seriously.

Since assuming the starting role, Brown's work ethic hasn't waned, recognizing that opportunities in the NFL are limited. While mistakes will occur, Brown's defensive teammates believe he quickly learns from missteps.

"So ever since he got that opportunity, he's kept his head in that playbook and that iPad, constantly watching film, constantly watching tape, out there making checks, making calls," Warner continued. "And even if he's wrong, I'd rather [have] a young guy out there barking calls than having to tell him to speak up."
[ Edited by tankle104 on Dec 7, 2023 at 11:47 AM ]
This according to Fred Warner from an article on the net. But of course, what does Fred know. The takes in here are so much more reliable.

Hard-working 49ers rookie Ji'Ayir Brown continues to impress Fred Warner

Since assuming the starting role, Brown's work ethic hasn't waned, recognizing that opportunities in the NFL are limited. While mistakes will occur, Brown's defensive teammates believe he quickly learns from missteps. "So ever since he got that opportunity, he's kept his head in that playbook and that iPad, constantly watching film, constantly watching tape, out there making checks, making calls," Warner continued. "And even if he's wrong, I'd rather [have] a young guy out there barking calls than having to tell him to speak up. "So he's doing those little things right, and I'm really proud of him. He's going to continue to get better."
Originally posted by 49ers81:
This according to Fred Warner from an article on the net. But of course, what does Fred know. The takes in here are so much more reliable.

Hard-working 49ers rookie Ji'Ayir Brown continues to impress Fred Warner

Since assuming the starting role, Brown's work ethic hasn't waned, recognizing that opportunities in the NFL are limited. While mistakes will occur, Brown's defensive teammates believe he quickly learns from missteps. "So ever since he got that opportunity, he's kept his head in that playbook and that iPad, constantly watching film, constantly watching tape, out there making checks, making calls," Warner continued. "And even if he's wrong, I'd rather [have] a young guy out there barking calls than having to tell him to speak up. "So he's doing those little things right, and I'm really proud of him. He's going to continue to get better."

I've got no big problem with Brown but I do have eyes… and I can translate teammate speak. Like others have mentioned, he needs to improve his tackling. Warner said he studies hard and he tries. All that can be true.
I keep hearing brown isn't playing well but I don't think that's the case. I know he's missed a couple tackles but as a whole, has he really be playing poorly?

"Since then, the rookie safety has played 100 percent of the defensive snaps, totaling 56 and 72 snaps in the last two games. Pro Football Focus ranks Brown as the second-highest graded rookie safety and the fourth-highest graded rookie defensive back.

Despite being a rookie, Brown carries himself like a seasoned veteran, earning admiration from experienced leaders like linebacker Fred Warner.

"As soon as he came into the team, I felt like he was very mature for his age, even being a rookie," Warner said on Wednesday. "Everybody kind of called him like the young vet, even though he hadn't really been on the field much, aside from special teams. He just kind of had that presence about him since the day he got here, and you could tell it's meant a lot to him, and he takes it seriously.

Since assuming the starting role, Brown's work ethic hasn't waned, recognizing that opportunities in the NFL are limited. While mistakes will occur, Brown's defensive teammates believe he quickly learns from missteps.

"So ever since he got that opportunity, he's kept his head in that playbook and that iPad, constantly watching film, constantly watching tape, out there making checks, making calls," Warner continued. "And even if he's wrong, I'd rather [have] a young guy out there barking calls than having to tell him to speak up."

Well.. None of that quote talks about his quality of performance on the field. All Fred addressed was his character and mindset.

What was his pff grade for the eagle game?
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

Well.. None of that quote talks about his quality of performance on the field. All Fred addressed was his character and mindset.

It actually says he's the second highest graded rookie Safety and 4th highest rated rookie DB.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Boy yall hard on the rookie. It's only been 2 games

I don't think anyone is saying to cut him. But he may need another off season. He's obviously very talented but we can't wait too long to make a change. We are trying to win a SB.

That's overly harsh for a rookie coming in for an injured player. Not to mention the guy made 2 huge plays versus Seattle.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:

It actually says he's the second highest graded rookie Safety and 4th highest rated rookie DB.

Go to youtube and watch a few breakdowns of the Eagles All-22 on offense. Brown was massively out of position 3 or 4 different times. We were lucky that Jalen didn't pull the trigger. The first play of the game was horrible. The Ambry Thomas breakup on the deep ball in the 1st half was another terrible rep for Brown. He lets the TE run right by him for some reason.

He's not playing well at all in coverage and it will cost us against the Eagles next time or against a better QB.

He has maybe 2 weeks to see if he can figure this out before we play the Ravens. If he hasn't figured it out by then Logan Ryan will be starting.
Boy yall hard on the rookie. It's only been 2 games

I don't think anyone is saying to cut him. But he may need another off season. He's obviously very talented but we can't wait too long to make a change. We are trying to win a SB.

That's overly harsh for a rookie coming in for an injured player. Not to mention the guy made 2 huge plays versus Seattle.

How is that overly harsh? I litterally called him very talented.
Share 49ersWebzone