LISTEN: State Of The 49ers With Larry Krueger →

There are 154 users in the forums

Ji'Ayir "Tig" Brown-S-Penn State, 3rd round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I have to wonder how many people on this board have ever really watched some of these players. I watch a fair amount of college ball and I know almost nothing about the players that are getting picked in the 3rd round and beyond. I'm not talking about looking at the draft profile and forming an opinion based on size, speed or arm length. I'm talking about actually seeing them play and watching them closely. I doubt many have done that. The coaches and scouts do.

Yeah, when it gets this late I'm only familiar with players on my favorite college teams.
yessir

Ji'Ayir Brown recorded an in game speed of 21.06 miles per hour according to GPS data

That would have put Brown in contention for the fastest times in the NFL last season

https://www.ninersnation.com/2023/5/1/23706135/jiayir-brown-49ers-nfl-draft-gps
In his highlight video. there is a play against michigan at the Goal line...he pushes through 2 blockers and stuff the running back for a 2 yard loss. Dude, he's a baller. I really think we got the best safety in the draft. I know he isn't the fastest, but watching him the way he attacks, his angles, he is just a very efficeient player and a ball hawk. Heck yes!!!!
  • thl408
Originally posted by simplyfloyd:
In his highlight video. there is a play against michigan at the Goal line...he pushes through 2 blockers and stuff the running back for a 2 yard loss. Dude, he's a baller. I really think we got the best safety in the draft. I know he isn't the fastest, but watching him the way he attacks, his angles, he is just a very efficeient player and a ball hawk. Heck yes!!!!

I'm glad the team has somewhat changed the way it views safety prospects. The last safety they drafted on day 2 was Tarvarious Moore who they fell in love with because he ran a 4.3. After seeing Huf excel by being instinctual, despite being a middling athlete, it appears the team is placing more emphasis on football IQ rather than athletic traits.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
yessir

Ji'Ayir Brown recorded an in game speed of 21.06 miles per hour according to GPS data

That would have put Brown in contention for the fastest times in the NFL last season

Sports science at its finest. I love the fact that science (GPS) is giving opportunities to athletes previously looked down upon in the NFL combines.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
yessir

Sports science at its finest. I love the fact that science (GPS) is giving opportunities to athletes previously looked down upon in the NFL combines.

yessir how you run in pads with helmet > how you run in shorts; for this game of football
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by thl408:

I'm glad the team has somewhat changed the way it views safety prospects. The last safety they drafted on day 2 was Tarvarious Moore who they fell in love with because he ran a 4.3. After seeing Huf excel by being instinctual, despite being a middling athlete, it appears the team is placing more emphasis on football IQ rather than athletic traits.

I think the Salah/Carroll changes in the DLine to the Kocureck DLine was a game changer (3-4 under to the wide 9). I think Wilks has an opportunity to change the coverage philosophy on the back end of that Wide 9 with the zone blitz he likes to run. Coach Wilks is getting the players he needs to power his version of the Zone blitz. Maybe his defense needs a new name - Wide 9 Zone blitz - or something like that.
  • thl408

I think the Salah/Carroll changes in the DLine to the Kocureck DLine was a game changer (3-4 under to the wide 9). I think Wilks has an opportunity to change the coverage philosophy on the back end of that Wide 9 with the zone blitz he likes to run. Coach Wilks is getting the players he needs to power his version of the Zone blitz. Maybe his defense needs a new name - Wide 9 Zone blitz - or something like that.

Don't want to get too deep into this, in this thread, but 'creeper' blitzes could be spreading and making its way around the league, and if Wilks adopts zone blitzes as a primary way to bring pressure, then 'creeper' blitzes (four man rush that looks like it's a blitz because a player not on the DL joins the rush) would be a natural compliment to zone blitzes. This speaks more to the Dee Winters pick.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
I have to assume that any negative posts about him in here are trolling/sarcasm. He's gonna be a stud and will get some playing time this year before taking over as a full time starter next year.

Let's hope so.

It's about time the 9ers had a stud at the safety position.

Him and Huf could be a solid combination for years to come.
My only concern is that it seems he plays a lot like Hufanga, and do we need two of those guys? Will we get more busted coverages? On the flip side, we'll have two terrifying box safeties.

I was hoping we would get Sydney Brown but I hope I am wrong.
In the few Penn State games I caught last year, he always seemed to be moving to the ball pretty quickly and with good angles in live game action
  • thl408
Originally posted by 5_Golden_Rings:
My only concern is that it seems he plays a lot like Hufanga, and do we need two of those guys? Will we get more busted coverages? On the flip side, we'll have two terrifying box safeties.

Blown coverages could be coached out of a player. It was his first year starting so let's see if it gets better. Two play playmaker type safeties? yes plz. It's the open field tackling versus quick guys that might be a concern for both of them.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Don't want to get too deep into this, in this thread, but 'creeper' blitzes could be spreading and making its way around the league, and if Wilks adopts zone blitzes as a primary way to bring pressure, then 'creeper' blitzes (four man rush that looks like it's a blitz because a player not on the DL joins the rush) would be a natural compliment to zone blitzes. This speaks more to the Dee Winters pick.

Yeah, the Dee Winters pick definitely is a hybrid player. Too small to be a true Linebacker, too big to be a Real safety. I can see John Lynch come down from the GM booth to teach Dee Winters to do the "creeper" stuff.

Yeah, the Dee Winters pick definitely is a hybrid player. Too small to be a true Linebacker, too big to be a Real safety. I can see John Lynch come down from the GM booth to teach Dee Winters to do the "creeper" stuff.

He fits the mold of Greenlaw, granted roughly 5 pounds lighter and maybe a half inch shorter but also runs a sub 4.5 where Greenlaw ran a 4.7. Both are basically 5'11, throw in some smoothies with his meals and he break 230 while running in the 4.5's.

This league is all about covering space and Winters fits the bill. Peters knows his late round LBs.
Share 49ersWebzone