LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 175 users in the forums

Dee Winters-ILB-TCU-6th Round 2023 Draft

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
We didnt have a choice. When you are bad, you play rookies. It's happened less and less since 2019. We have a lot of young guys that should see significant play time in 2024.

That's not correct. They got on the field because they were good and not because the team was bad. Azeez and Dre played as rookies on the 2019 Super bowl team. That LB room had Fred Warner, Kwon Alexander, Mark Nzeocha, and Elijah Lee. Not exactly a room full of bums.

Burks and Flannigan are bums, so the fact that Winters and Graham didn't show enough to get on the field is not a good start to their careers.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 15, 2024 at 7:43 PM ]
Originally posted by Heroism:
We didnt have a choice. When you are bad, you play rookies. It's happened less and less since 2019. We have a lot of young guys that should see significant play time in 2024.

That's not correct. They got on the field because they were good and not because the team was bad. Azeez and Dre played as rookies on the 2019 Super bowl team. That LB room had Fred Warner, Kwon Alexander, Mark Nzeocha, and Elijah Lee. Not exactly a room full of bums.

Burks and Flannigan are bums, so the fact that Winters and Graham didn't show enough to get on the field is not a good start to their careers.

Alexander was good (compared to the Malcolm Smith's of yesteryear), but didn't he get hurt, Dre took over and never looked back? I don't remember Azeez being good as a rookie. I think he stepped it up the final couple of seasons. As for Winters and Graham, I'm not going to judge. People did the same with Aaron Banks. We have some young talent I'm curious about. Luter, Womack (hope he can take another step), Brown, Hufanga (returning from injury), Winters, Graham, Davis, and Beal. How those guys do will dictate how well we can absorb AA and Hargrave getting older.

On offense, we don't have nearly as many Im excited about. I hope that changes.
Alexander was good (compared to the Malcolm Smith's of yesteryear), but didn't he get hurt, Dre took over and never looked back? I don't remember Azeez being good as a rookie. I think he stepped it up the final couple of seasons. As for Winters and Graham, I'm not going to judge. People did the same with Aaron Banks. We have some young talent I'm curious about. Luter, Womack (hope he can take another step), Brown, Hufanga (returning from injury), Winters, Graham, Davis, and Beal. How those guys do will dictate how well we can absorb AA and Hargrave getting older.

Dre was the week 1 starting Sam LB and took over the Will spot once Kwon got hurt. Azeez played at Sam later in the year. The point is you claimed they got on the field because the team was bad, which isn't true at all.

I'm not holding it against Winters and Graham. It is is what it is. After all, they are day-3 picks. It's just disappointing that they couldn't manage to get on the field even as a backup Sam or Will given the s**t depth behind Fred and Dre as well as the oppurtunities that arose when guys were injured.
[ Edited by Heroism on Feb 15, 2024 at 8:38 PM ]
Believe Winters made a boneheaded play or two on STs

He wasn't. Very raw and was coached well by Saleh and Ryans. We'll see what Graham and Winters can do.

Dre was the week 1 starting Sam LB and took over the Will spot once Kwon got hurt. Azeez played at Sam later in the year. The point is you claimed they got on the field because the team was bad, which isn't true at all.

I'm not holding it against Winters and Graham. It is is what it is. After all, they are day-3 picks. It's just disappointing that they couldn't manage to get on the field even as a backup Sam or Will given the s**t depth behind Fred and Dre as well as the oppurtunities that arose when guys were injured.

Got it. Hoping these guys take a leap this year. Bad drafting is what caused the bottom to fall from underneath us with the Harbaugh teams.
  • pd24
  • Veteran

Got it. Hoping these guys take a leap this year. Bad drafting is what caused the bottom to fall from underneath us with the Harbaugh teams.

And a bad culture. They used to get drunk and arrested.

Thus why Harbaugh wanted more control but ownership choose the drunk.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Wasn't scot the drunk? Thought Trent was just the power hungry a*****e
[ Edited by Hoovtrain on Feb 17, 2024 at 1:40 PM ]
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
Originally posted by lamontb:

Wasn't scot the drunk? Thought Trent was just the power hungry a*****e

You are correct.

Rookies don't get reps, remember Brock Purdy said this when he was thrust into the starting position due to injury.
Let's hope that either we draft an excellent guy to pair with Warner, or, Winters makes huge strides and proves worthy.

With Dre rehabbing Winters is Coming!
Fred Warner: "I think Dee's probably had the best OTAs out of anybody on the team," Warner shared. "I feel like he's come along since last year. I remember he came in as a rookie, was struggling to learn the plays, and trying to get in shape, and all those little things that you got to learn as a professional."

Definitely was an issue last year reported by everyone that Dee was out of shape and looked nothing like the guy he was in college. He and Graham had a massive amount of mental lapses in the pre-season and Winters wasn't good in his limited chances during the year (Graham couldn't earn any at all). Hopefully a year here helps them both mentally and they can show off their athleticism more.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Jun 5, 2024 at 5:32 PM ]
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Fred Warner: "I think Dee's probably had the best OTAs out of anybody on the team," Warner shared. "I feel like he's come along since last year. I remember he came in as a rookie, was struggling to learn the plays, and trying to get in shape, and all those little things that you got to learn as a professional."

Definitely was an issue last year reported by everyone that Dee was out of shape and looked nothing like the guy he was in college. He and Graham had a massive amount of mental lapses in the pre-season and Winters wasn't good in his limited chances during the year (Graham couldn't earn any at all). Hopefully a year here helps them both mentally and they can show off their athleticism more.

This is great news!!!

I read that and immediately thought about Greenlaw's replacement for the upcoming season.
Share 49ersWebzone