There are 275 users in the forums

"Look Ma, no hands" WR Ronnie Bell Thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I like Bell's skillset. I want him to succeed. But it's tough to stay with him when he's goofy.
I'm old enough to remember a young Jerry Rice dropping a TD against the Giants in the playoffs. He had a few drops his rookie year. He worked on it and we all know how he turned out. I wouldn't give up on Bell yet but he needs to work on his concentration.
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
I'm old enough to remember a young Jerry Rice dropping a TD against the Giants in the playoffs. He had a few drops his rookie year. He worked on it and we all know how he turned out. I wouldn't give up on Bell yet but he needs to work on his concentration.

Yea but this is a much different NFL where you gotta produce day 1. Especially with guys like Deebo, Aiyuk, Jennings, Pearsall (first rounder) ahead of you off the bat. Not only has he not produced since day 1, he's dropping everything. Everytime he gets a snap a blunder keeps happening. It's just a terrible look and he will be cut. If he's not then he has Kyle's family locked in a panic room in the jungles of Venezuela
Originally posted by Silky:

Yea but this is a much different NFL where you gotta produce day 1. Especially with guys like Deebo, Aiyuk, Jennings, Pearsall (first rounder) ahead of you off the bat. Not only has he not produced since day 1, he's dropping everything. Everytime he gets a snap a blunder keeps happening. It's just a terrible look and he will be cut. If he's not then he has Kyle's family locked in a panic room in the jungles of Venezuela

Even beyond that, even beyond Rice's breakout game, he had already flashed. He already had several hundred yards receiving and catches as the drops were happening his rookie year. With Bell, it's been all bad. I'm not saying give up on Bell. I'm saying his bad play to good play ratio is too high.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Even beyond that, even beyond Rice's breakout game, he had already flashed. He already had several hundred yards receiving and catches as the drops were happening his rookie year. With Bell, it's been all bad. I'm not saying give up on Bell. I'm saying his bad play to good play ratio is too high.

Bell had 13 targets, 6 catches and 0 drops last season. This year he has 3 targets, one catch and 2 drops. That's a small sample size. So what do you judge him by. Last season or the 3 targets this year. You can't make decisions based on 3 plays.
I think we are pretty safe in ruling out Bell from becoming Rice.
Originally posted by Wolf_Packer_53:
I think we are pretty safe in ruling out Bell from becoming Rice.

Lol 💯

Somehow I do not think Bell will ever reach the level as #80.

Shanahan gets pissed when you don't line up in the right spot.

Shanahan gets pissed when you drop the ball repeatedly.

Pick your "pissed".

I think the only reason Bell played over JC is because Kyle assumed the total mistakes would be less overall for Bell.

JC needs to be out there at least on the plays he knows the most. At the end of the day, lining up right does nothing if the outcome is negative every time the ball touches your hands.

Knowing the O is overrated for receivers IMO. You learn best by doing, so let Cowing go do it.
[ Edited by OnTheClock on Sep 25, 2024 at 2:50 PM ]

Bell had 13 targets, 6 catches and 0 drops last season. This year he has 3 targets, one catch and 2 drops. That's a small sample size. So what do you judge him by. Last season or the 3 targets this year. You can't make decisions based on 3 plays.

6 catches on 13 targets is awful.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Shanahan gets pissed when you don't line up in the right spot.

Shanahan gets pissed when you drop the ball repeatedly.

Pick your "pissed".

I think the only reason Bell played over JC is because Kyle assumed the total mistakes would be less overall for Bell.

JC needs to be out there at least on the plays he knows the most. At the end of the day, lining up right does nothing if the outcome is negative every time the ball touches your hands.

Knowing the O is overrated for receivers IMO. You learn best by doing, so let Cowing go do it.

I agree. There has to be a place in just doing a few things really well. Shanahan really values knowing how to do everything- your skill.at it be damned. This works great in keeping our intentions hidden but it renders anyone who doesn't know everything useless.

If we were rebuilding with a weak roster, I would agree. For fringe roster guys, you have to. Especially since there is a long line at WR on this team and we are in win now mode.

6 catches on 13 targets is awful.

I know for a fact Bell had drops last year. If that stat is correct it's not accurate.
Why he wasnt dropped to the practice squad or cut is beyond me. He sucks in every aspect of the game
Share 49ersWebzone