There are 221 users in the forums

OTAs/Training Camp 2023

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by genus49:
Originally posted by pdc20:
Training camp is fine but if you want to really judge the QBs, watch pre-season.
Nobody talked about Brock Purdy until he played in the last quarter IIRC against the Packers.
At that moment, I knew they had something with him. I thought that he could be a solid back up the way he played.
Besides, I think Shanahan is the type of coach that loves to see his offense struggling against the Defense during training camp.
He wants the QBs to know what they can't do.

Couldn't disagree more with this statement.

Do you really need a list of all the preseason standouts we've had over the year who did absolutely nothing in real games?

Preseason is a nice look at game situations because you have a defense which isn't afraid to hit you so it's nice in that way, however the scheme is super vanilla and there is no game planning. Plus depending on how the other team plays you, you may be going up against scrubs that dilutes the evaluation process.

Training camp you're drilling your actual plays, certain game situations and working on things to prep for the season.

I think these days the best evaluation is probably the joint practices. That way you're going up against opposing defenses/offenses but you're repping vs the specific units you're likely to play against. 1s vs 1s, etc.

I think training camp is exponentially more important than pre season games.

you learn a lot about these guys in camp cause you can create the environment, certain situations and simulate it. In camp, it isn't always about the stats or completions. It's important how you go through the reads, identify the defense, get used to guys speed & timing. Mesh with your O line (for a QB).

pre season games are super vanilla defenses and offenses with 0 game prep. It's really for the guys who are trying to make the team, not guys you've had for a while, IMO.
Any news on Mckivitz? Was he out there today with the 1's?
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by tankle104:
That's the first I'm hearing of it. I've hear Kyle rave about Purdy in camp last year. Demeco said the defensive players were coming up to him complimenting Purdy. Krueg was singing his praises before the pre season.

i didn't follow it last year and I sure as hell didn't follow third string qb. Lol but I've just heard/read much different.

Nah. Kyle called him Mullens 2.0. No one was raving about Brock man. The only dude that said he was awesome was Krueg (who does it with every late rd guy) and papa.

He wasn't killing TC.

Tankle is right. He had a good camp. Even got back to McDaniels.

Kyle also mentioned it on TK podcast.
[ Edited by Bay2Bay9erAllday on Jul 26, 2023 at 1:20 PM ]
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
That's the first I'm hearing of it. I've hear Kyle rave about Purdy in camp last year. Demeco said the defensive players were coming up to him complimenting Purdy. Krueg was singing his praises before the pre season.

i didn't follow it last year and I sure as hell didn't follow third string qb. Lol but I've just heard/read much different.

Nah. Kyle called him Mullens 2.0. No one was raving about Brock man. The only dude that said he was awesome was Krueg (who does it with every late rd guy) and papa.

He wasn't killing TC.

I didn't follow it during camp, so I'm not sure what was being said news wise, but demeco even said that during camp the defensive players like Warner were coming up to him talking up Purdy in training camp.

i know internally they were very impressed with him but idk if that sentiment was known outside the team in the news.

He wasn't killing TC.

I didn't follow it during camp, so I'm not sure what was being said news wise, but demeco even said that during camp the defensive players like Warner were coming up to him talking up Purdy in training camp.

i know internally they were very impressed with him but idk if that sentiment was known outside the team in the news.

I guess it goes to show what people on the outside see and what coaches see doesn't always line up. So we need to keep that mind while discussing these reports coming out from content creators lol

as mentioned already, Krueg and Greg Papa mentioned brock had a good camp last year. Kyle said it on TK podcast as well.

I mean, there was a reason for Sudfeld getting cut with guaranteed money and keeping Purdy as QB3 on game day.

He wasn't killing TC.

this is from Kyle - he def had a good camp. From an article that came out yesterday

The Purdy revelation happened so fast and so late last season that we didn't really get much of a chance to ask Shanahan back then exactly what he saw in Purdy in last year's OTAs and camp to give the seventh-round pick a roster spot. But just listening to Shanahan explain it now is a perfect way to understand why Purdy is the unquestioned starter, ahead of Lance and Darnold, who are competing for the No. 2 spot.

"What you noticed was, he didn't mess around," Shanahan said of Purdy's early 49ers days. "Like, it was so decisive, what he did. He didn't go in there and try to overly impress it with a first rep, like, 'Hey, I'm going to get the big play.' Whatever play was called, whatever the two reps were, he did that and it was like a machine. And by the end of OTAs, we're like, 'Man, this young guy is a machine. I don't know if we're ever going to be able to keep him on the practice squad 'cause he's probably going to do good in the season.' …

"Well, when we got into training camp and we started to go from, like, two reps to six reps for him, he was doing the same thing in those six reps. And within a few weeks, he needed to compete with Nate (Sudfeld) for that 2 spot. And once that started happening and he was doing the same thing in practice, I was like, 'Damn, we've got to play him in the games more.' And once he played in the games, it was so similar, the good and the bad, to what we saw in practice."

I just remember all through training camp, Jed comes down a lot, asks how the quarterbacks are doing," Shanahan said. "I would talk about all of them and I would always go to, 'This Purdy guy's doing great.' I remember Brock got in for the first time against Kansas City (in a Week 7 blowout loss) and some mop-up time at the way end and threw a pick on the last deal. And I remember Jed going, 'I thought you said he was really good.' I was like, 'Jed, that was the last drive, that wasn't a good play.' (Several weeks later,) Jimmy got hurt and then it was like, I remember Jed always saying, 'All right, you've been saying how good this guy is. So now we're going to find out.' I was like, 'Wait, whoa, whoa, that was in practice. We've gotta be patient.'

He wasn't killing TC.

this is from Kyle - he def had a good camp. From an article that came out yesterday

The Purdy revelation happened so fast and so late last season that we didn't really get much of a chance to ask Shanahan back then exactly what he saw in Purdy in last year's OTAs and camp to give the seventh-round pick a roster spot. But just listening to Shanahan explain it now is a perfect way to understand why Purdy is the unquestioned starter, ahead of Lance and Darnold, who are competing for the No. 2 spot.

"What you noticed was, he didn't mess around," Shanahan said of Purdy's early 49ers days. "Like, it was so decisive, what he did. He didn't go in there and try to overly impress it with a first rep, like, 'Hey, I'm going to get the big play.' Whatever play was called, whatever the two reps were, he did that and it was like a machine. And by the end of OTAs, we're like, 'Man, this young guy is a machine. I don't know if we're ever going to be able to keep him on the practice squad 'cause he's probably going to do good in the season.' …

"Well, when we got into training camp and we started to go from, like, two reps to six reps for him, he was doing the same thing in those six reps. And within a few weeks, he needed to compete with Nate (Sudfeld) for that 2 spot. And once that started happening and he was doing the same thing in practice, I was like, 'Damn, we've got to play him in the games more.' And once he played in the games, it was so similar, the good and the bad, to what we saw in practice."

I just remember all through training camp, Jed comes down a lot, asks how the quarterbacks are doing," Shanahan said. "I would talk about all of them and I would always go to, 'This Purdy guy's doing great.' I remember Brock got in for the first time against Kansas City (in a Week 7 blowout loss) and some mop-up time at the way end and threw a pick on the last deal. And I remember Jed going, 'I thought you said he was really good.' I was like, 'Jed, that was the last drive, that wasn't a good play.' (Several weeks later,) Jimmy got hurt and then it was like, I remember Jed always saying, 'All right, you've been saying how good this guy is. So now we're going to find out.' I was like, 'Wait, whoa, whoa, that was in practice. We've gotta be patient.'

Straight out the horses mouth. Unless you put more stock into Cohn's opinion, who never has a narrative to push lol
Yeah everytbing I've read and heard was post training camp, so you're probably right.

lol Krueg is such a homer. Seems like a good guy though.

Yeah it's not a big deal. Brock went out there and did his thing regardless
Straight out the horses mouth. Unless you put more stock into Cohn's opinion, who never has a narrative to push lol

Nah no one was talking about it really when it was happening…after he played well people acting like they said he was great the whole time lol. Dude was QB3 and getting next to no reps. Is what it is now, who cares he went out and did his thing when it mattered.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 26, 2023 at 2:12 PM ]
I guess it goes to show what people on the outside see and what coaches see doesn't always line up. So we need to keep that mind while discussing these reports coming out from content creators lol

as mentioned already, Krueg and Greg Papa mentioned brock had a good camp last year. Kyle said it on TK podcast as well.

I mean, there was a reason for Sudfeld getting cut with guaranteed money and keeping Purdy as QB3 on game day.

Sudfield got cut because Jimmy restructured and he had no future here. Those same dudes were acting like Nate the great was a baller in camp all the same lol.

Originally posted by Hysterikal:

This

Nah no one was talking about it really when it was happening…after he played well people acting like they said he was great the whole time lol. Dude was QB3 and getting next to no reps. Is what it is now, who cares he went out and did his thing when it mattered.

So, Kyle is lying? Okay…

Sudfield got cut because Jimmy restructured and he had no future here. Those same dudes were acting like Nate the great was a baller in camp all the same lol.

Yeah, Brock had nothing to do with it. Sure…
Yeah everytbing I've read and heard was post training camp, so you're probably right.

lol Krueg is such a homer. Seems like a good guy though.

Yeah it's not a big deal. Brock went out there and did his thing regardless

Looks like we are about to end up with two studs, everything I've read about Lance today has been great. I'm excited for him
Looks like we are about to end up with two studs, everything I've read about Lance today has been great. I'm excited for him

I don't know how anyone could be against this. Purdy and Lance

Haven't felt this way about two QBs on our roster since Montana and Young, I love it!!!
Share 49ersWebzone