There are 230 users in the forums

OTAs/Training Camp 2023

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
If Trey can't make it on this team, the prospects of him becoming elite are pretty small. I think he wraps up qb2 and gets some playing time, regardless of injury, in games that we have in hand in the 4th quarter. Darnold has never impressed me, I thought he was overrated in college with all the turnovers, and he kept right on doing it in the pros. Maybe with a year of added experience he will be able to actually compete with Purdy instead of having to earn the backup spot. A lot of folks are just flat out ignoring that he's been hurt for two years and hasn't gotten much more experience than when we drafted him. I hope he wants to stay here even if he isn't the starter and reworks his contract to be more affordable so it can happen. Like Jordan Love did with Green Bay. Like Steve Young said a few days ago, he should stay ready for his chance to come and be prepared to seize it when it does.

That's all he can do, prepare like he is the starter. Brock is the starter until he's not (if it ever happens). The whole Sam Darnold s**t is just wild to me…guy you didn't invest s**t in, was one of the worst QBs in the league for half a decade and kyle comps him to Young lol. What a joke.

meanwhile the guy kyle invested 3 1sts in just to get him in SF, acts like he's an afterthought. After 170 passes….kyle is going down the Jon Gruden path with QBs. Thinks his scheme is what matters most not the talent at QB. Always thinking he can make a QB great and wanting something that's not right in front of him. Love kyle, but I question his process at QB.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Shanahan has always weird comments about his QBs. He absolutely loved Nate Sudfeld and to be fair with Nate he was really solid last summer in pre-season. But nobody is fighting to sign Nate Sudfeld let's be honest.
Now it's comparing Darnold with Steve Young, Brandon Allen being too good to not be on the 53 roster. If Allen is so good, why the Bengals let him go? Because of Trevor Sieman?
I don't know if Kyle is just saying that to give confidence to his young QBs but everybody outside of San Francisco has to be laughing when they hear Kyle say he thinks he has three franchise QBs potentially.
Specially when he's talking about Trey who is a total unknown at this point coming back from a broken ankle and Sam who is on his third team in four seasons. The Panthers litterally did all in on Bryce Young (as they should have IMHO) because they saw what Sam Darnold's ceiling really was.

I mean Kyle is the guy that thought he could do a season with Hoyer, Barkley and CJ as his QBs so I guess that tells us everything.
And what makes me a little bit sad for those QBs is that before every season Kyle will say they're the best and then during the season he will crush them for one mistake.^^
It's really weird how this guy who is the best offensive mind in the business with Andy Reid and a top 5 HC in the league can be so off on his QBs evaluations.
I mean the day of the draft he said that he thought Brock Purdy reminded him of Nick Mullens. Did he watch Purdy with Iowa State?
[ Edited by pdc20 on Jul 28, 2023 at 5:16 AM ]
Originally posted by pdc20:
Shanahan has always weird comments about his QBs. He absolutely loved Nate Sudfeld and to be fair with Nate he was really solid last summer in pre-season. But nobody is fighting to sign Nate Sudfeld let's be honest.
Now it's comparing Darnold with Steve Young, Brandon Allen being too good to not be on the 53 roster. If Allen is so good, why the Bengals let him go? Because of Trevor Sieman?
I don't know if Kyle is just saying that to give confidence to his young QBs but everybody outside of San Francisco has to be laughing when they hear Kyle say he thinks he has three franchise QBs potentially.
Specially when he's talking about Trey who is a total unknown at this point coming back from a broken ankle and Sam who is on his third team in four seasons. The Panthers litterally did all in on Bryce Young (as they should have IMHO) because they saw what Sam Darnold's ceiling really was.

I mean Kyle is the guy that thought he could do a season with Hoyer, Barkley and CJ as his QBs so I guess that tells us everything.
And what makes me a little bit sad for those QBs is that before every season Kyle will say they're the best and then during the season he will crush them for one mistake.^^
It's really weird how this guy who is the best offensive mind in the business with Andy Reid and a top 5 HC in the league can be so off on his QBs evaluations.
I mean the day of the draft he said that he thought Brock Purdy reminded him of Nick Mullens. Did he watch Purdy with Iowa State?

You'd think kyle would apply all that same positive energy into the guy he invested his future into when he made that move? Overall not so much. Dude didn't even give it a fair shake. I get Brock starting right now, the whole sam/lance/Allen thing is baffling. Totally ridiculous imo.

I watched that show on Netflix "quarterback" and Reid literally has one day each week during the season where the players get to make plays and practice them. Not a chance in hell Kyle is doing that. Honestly I think Mahomes or Allen wouldn't be who they are if Kyle drafted them. Zero freedom being the QB here imo.

Kyle is great at getting the most out of subpar QBs. He wants a robot to run his offense. No freelancing or using those special traits. You'd think he would get it after losing the SB to Mahomes & watching his dad win SBs with Elway. Nah he wants Kirk 2.0 and his offensive scheme. Need more than that in today's league. We're not gonna be able to pay elite money to a bunch of players not named QB forever.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jul 28, 2023 at 6:27 AM ]

It wasn't long ago when we understood things spoken by coaches as "coach speak." I don't know when this was forgotten.
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

It wasn't long ago when we understood things spoken by coaches as "coach speak." I don't know when this was forgotten.

You have to take a lot of things with a grain of salt that coaches say. That's why their actions usually tell you the real story.

you also have to realize that Kyle has a specific type of qb and he doesn't just look at what the guy did on other teams, he envisions them in his system with their skill set. Kyle knows that not all coaches put their guys in position to succeed or build around their skill set. Sometimes you miss QBs cause you're planning something different for the future
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Bengals, can I interest you in a Sam Darnold?

Yes. Make it happen.

Yep I can see us doing a trade with them if that injury is really serious.

Man I don't know Kyle thinks Sam is Steve young 2.0

Walsh picked gio carmazzi, so NFL coaches can make brain farts too.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Did we forget that Shanahan's intentions were to get Kirk Cousins?? Not one of those QB's mentioned were thought to be thee guy. Shanahan even said he shed a tear when they traded for Jimmy G because he knew his chances to get Cousins was slim to none.

People panicking over a few words at the beginning of TC. Smh
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Giedi:

Yes. Make it happen.

Jim Druckenmiller too.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:

You have to take a lot of things with a grain of salt that coaches say. That's why their actions usually tell you the real story.

you also have to realize that Kyle has a specific type of qb and he doesn't just look at what the guy did on other teams, he envisions them in his system with their skill set. Kyle knows that not all coaches put their guys in position to succeed or build around their skill set. Sometimes you miss QBs cause you're planning something different for the future

If a NFL coach lands a hall of fame QB (Landry/Staubach, Noll/Bradshaw, Brady/Bellichick, Shula/Marino, erc...) it's pretty much all luck. The only one I think that had a system QB that didn't depend all on luck was Walsh who chose Two hall of fame QBs. Look at Bellichick now with his QB problems. Kyle has his share of misfires but at least (I think) he got a possible champion in Brock in his 6th year as a HC, vs Reid who had to wait almost 20 years to get his QB.

I think Kyle really liked Jimmy, but he just wasn't the QB that could do off schedule stuff. Both Brock and Jimmy will stay within Kyle's system, but Brock can do more than what Jimmy can do, and it's my hope Brock is to Kyle what Mahomes is to Reid.

Yes. Make it happen.

Finding and identifying a great QB is insanely difficult, who knew.

idc what anyone says, there is an aspect of luck.

Montana was third round - if anyone really knew, he would of been #1 overall.
Brady was sixth round
Brees was second round pick
Manning barely beat out Ryan leaf for #1 overall (per colts)
wilson was a third round pick
Rodgers fell to 24th overall (I think 24th)
Mahommes went 10th and I believe trubisky went before him. LOL

even Michael Jordan was third overall.
Kobe went 16th overall (I think - somewhere in there)
steph had a few PG go before him
draymond was a second round pick
jokic was later in the draft

it's not easy to identify great players. Honestly the easiest one I've ever seen was bosa and even some were skeptical of him.

there is an aspect of luck that goes into it too. I think it's part of what makes sports great
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Kolohe:

Yes. Make it happen.

Jim Druckenmiller too.

yup

Kyle scares me when It comes to evaluating Qbs.
That's all he can do, prepare like he is the starter. Brock is the starter until he's not (if it ever happens). The whole Sam Darnold s**t is just wild to me…guy you didn't invest s**t in, was one of the worst QBs in the league for half a decade and kyle comps him to Young lol. What a joke.

meanwhile the guy kyle invested 3 1sts in just to get him in SF, acts like he's an afterthought. After 170 passes….kyle is going down the Jon Gruden path with QBs. Thinks his scheme is what matters most not the talent at QB. Always thinking he can make a QB great and wanting something that's not right in front of him. Love kyle, but I question his process at QB.

If so that is idiotic. Mahomes already showed us that talent trumps scheme and a great all time defense like we had in 2019. We had it all but Mahomes was Superman and I thought that taught Kyle that unless he had his own Superman he wasn't gonna beat Mahomes. You can't scheme up 40 points at will but when you have a Mahomes he can. Brock simply better be better than Trey can ever be or else I will be all over Kyle's helmet if we can't do better than Jimmy G and win it all. This is my hope for whoever is QB. Win it all!!
Originally posted by NCommand:
Originally posted by thl408:
What's up everyone? Its been a few months. Excited for a new season of Niner football.

welcome back.
Settle this dispute. When you played street football, did you count alligators or Mississippis?

One one thousand, two one thousand, etc.

FTFY.

Same but Mississippi was common too.

Welcome back!

3 Alligators or 5 gators
Share 49ersWebzone