Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by Bay2Bay9erAllday:
Bengals, can I interest you in a Sam Darnold?

Yes. Make it happen.

Yep I can see us doing a trade with them if that injury is really serious.

Man I don't know Kyle thinks Sam is Steve young 2.0

Walsh picked gio carmazzi, so NFL coaches can make brain farts too.

Finding and identifying a great QB is insanely difficult, who knew.

idc what anyone says, there is an aspect of luck.

Montana was third round - if anyone really knew, he would of been #1 overall.
Brady was sixth round
Brees was second round pick
Manning barely beat out Ryan leaf for #1 overall (per colts)
wilson was a third round pick
Rodgers fell to 24th overall (I think 24th)
Mahommes went 10th and I believe trubisky went before him. LOL

even Michael Jordan was third overall.
Kobe went 16th overall (I think - somewhere in there)
steph had a few PG go before him
draymond was a second round pick
jokic was later in the draft

it's not easy to identify great players. Honestly the easiest one I've ever seen was bosa and even some were skeptical of him.

there is an aspect of luck that goes into it too. I think it's part of what makes sports great

What set Walsh apart from most coaches was his ability to see beyond just the physical and make great (not just good) decisions. Example was his NFL coaching fellowship for minority coaches. He did that just to make the 49ers better. Now it's adopted league wide. And I agree, he did have his share of luck too. Another great decision was Harry Edwards who helped Walsh avoid choosing guys like Reubin foster and Aldon smith.

Yeah, I've always felt like identifying the physical aspect was relatively easy, it's the work ethic, personality, leadership, spacial awareness, etc that it hard. Everyone processes the game differently.

patrick Willis is a great example of someone who saw the game perfectly and had the perfect physical attributes.

Kyle has a particular genius with running backs the way Walsh did with QBs. Looks like he's developing those skills now with Brock Purdy too at the QB position. It's hard to imagine that if Walsh was Kyle's age right now, Walsh wouldn't be a head coach for another five years. Kyle's already been to the Super Bowl and three NFC Championships.

Imagine what the future holds if Kyle's found his QB.

If Kyle finds his qb, we will have a glorious and fantastic 10 year run. I personally think Purdy can be that guy, but if not, I'm hoping it's Lance. I don't care which - I really don't. I've criticized Lance but if he has developed the way he seems to have, I'll change my tune real quick and eat my crow.

yeah, Kyle is wonderful at that. Specifically later rounds/UDFA. Not so much early round ones but then again, TDP apparently looks awesome. We will need him cause I don't trust Mitchell to stay healthy. Lol I love the guy but his health is terrifying. Hahah

i think Kyle is planning on coaching another 17 years, he said he doesn't want to coach into his 60s.
[ Edited by tankle104 on Jul 28, 2023 at 9:32 AM ]

What set Walsh apart from most coaches was his ability to see beyond just the physical and make great (not just good) decisions. Example was his NFL coaching fellowship for minority coaches. He did that just to make the 49ers better. Now it's adopted league wide. And I agree, he did have his share of luck too. Another great decision was Harry Edwards who helped Walsh avoid choosing guys like Reubin foster and Aldon smith.

Walsh drafted guys like Bill Romanoski and Charles Haley. Both would have been expelled from the league if they played today.
Originally posted by miked1978:

Walsh drafted guys like Bill Romanoski and Charles Haley. Both would have been expelled from the league if they played today.

Well yeah, the league and rules are different today. Ronnie Lott wouldn't have been able to play in today's game, but 2 of those guys are in the HOF.
  • Furlow
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
Originally posted by miked1978:

Well yeah, the league and rules are different today. Ronnie Lott wouldn't have been able to play in today's game, but 2 of those guys are in the HOF.

I hope you mean to say that Lott couldn't play the way he did in today's game. He absolutely could play in today's game, the dude was a ballhawk.

lmao the water bottle, grabbing hats and s**t. Hilarious. You could of put a corpse in his hand and he would of signed it hahaha
  • Furlow
  • Veteran

Really looking forward to seeing some video of Purdy letting it loose.

• thl408

Facts. Too bad I can't think of a beat writer with eyes that I can trust.
Originally posted by thl408:

Facts. Too bad I can't think of a beat writer with eyes that I can trust.

Barrows is the guy I find the most objective and doesn't try to act like he knows more than he does, but still has good insight
Keeping stats and numbers during practices is literally one of the dumbest things in sports history. It's so meaningless. I mean imagine watching an NBA practice and keeping track of Durant's 3 points attempts or free throws lol. It's utterly ridiculous.
Originally posted by Furlow:

I thought there was camp today, is it starting different times?
Originally posted by Furlow:

I thought there was camp today, is it starting different times?

I don't think it's open to the fans today, but the accredited reporters will be there.
Share 49ersWebzone