Save 30% at the official 49ers online store with code CATCH30 →

There are 209 users in the forums

OTAs/Training Camp 2023

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Tydyeydy, let's give ppl benefit of the doubt here. No one wants any 49er to fail. We are all 49er fans.

Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by TreyDeyEeyDey:
Lol you're the one constantly bringing up Treys every single move and creating conspiracies that we're trading him lol. I wish you would take your own advice. Just yesterday you made a deal out of Allen getting practice reps on the 2nd day. You try to be subtle but it's so obvious you want him to fail.

Tydyeydy, let's give ppl benefit of the doubt here. No one wants any 49er to fail. We are all 49er fans.

Disagree. Some people care more about an agenda.
[ Edited by TreyDeyEeyDey on Jul 28, 2023 at 4:24 PM ]
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Lance will be okay here or somewhere else. If I were him I would try to get with a team that has coaching that can develop a QB.

He has the tools or we wouldn't have given up the three 1st round picks. Brock is the guy here so Trey should go back-up Mahomes (they have been training together) for a few years, get developed by a true QB guru and then move to a team to be the FQB.

One door closes another one opens, thats life.

It is entirely possible that they overestimated those tools. He might be Harbor Freight when we thought he was Snap On. I hope not, but it is a reality we must face the possibility of. Reid isn't some qb guru or it wouldn't have taken him over twenty years to get a really good one. Reid lucked into a diamond in the rough, and his gm was smart enough to grab him. If Kyle couldn't develop qbs, explain Brock. It isn't Shanahan's fault that Trey has been injured for two years and that it set him back. It's just bad luck, injuries happen.
Originally posted by JTB1974:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
It's mostly because Jimmy is always hurt. But then the QB they drafted to replace Jimmy is always hurt too. Now the only thing left is to blame Shanahan. Lol

He was healthy in 2019 and lost the SB because he couldn't complete a single pass in the 4th quarter. And in 2021 yes he was playing hurt but in the NFC championship game all he needed was 1 drive to put the game away at any point in the 4th quarter and he failed.

All we needed was the defense to get one stop too, but that doesn't fit the narrative...
the biggest X factor on offense outside of QB, IMO. I'm concerned but optimistic
When they traded up they pretty indicated "We can't win a SB with our current QB" But yet they start Jimmy because it was a SB win now team? How did that make any sense. If they thought they could win a SB with Jimmy they never would have invested all that capital to trade up and find a replacement. And ofcourse they fell short again. Big shocker.

Disagree with your conclusion.

>>>When they traded up they pretty indicated "We can't win a SB with our current QB" But yet they start Jimmy because it was a SB win now team

[[ I don't think it meant that at all. I think it meant " we are sitting with the 12th pick and it will likely be a long time until we are with-in striking distance of a top QB prospect, so lets pull the trigger now on our future QB" ]] The front office actually drafts sometimes for the future, not just for the one current year. I doubt the front office expected Lance to be better than JG that first year. ]]

>>>If they thought they could win a SB with Jimmy they never would have invested all that capital to trade up and find a replacement.

[[ Again, you have to play the long game sometimes, it's not all about just the current year.....that is very shortsighted and most front offices see the bigger picture that involves more than just a current one year view. I think they wanted more out of the QB position than Jimmy had.]]

We'll see how it plays out with Lance.....everyone knew he was raw but full of potential. Will he reach that potential...... still TBD
Originally posted by tankle104:

This is my fav aspect of this whole deal. I am a huge fan of this Wilks. I suspect he will take it to even greater heights. We had some breakdowns, on TD passes last season. This guy is a DB expert. He was talking to the guys about the big play breakdowns, on day 1 of TC.
Originally posted by Memphis9er:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Lance will be okay here or somewhere else. If I were him I would try to get with a team that has coaching that can develop a QB.

He has the tools or we wouldn't have given up the three 1st round picks. Brock is the guy here so Trey should go back-up Mahomes (they have been training together) for a few years, get developed by a true QB guru and then move to a team to be the FQB.

One door closes another one opens, thats life.

It is entirely possible that they overestimated those tools. He might be Harbor Freight when we thought he was Snap On. I hope not, but it is a reality we must face the possibility of. Reid isn't some qb guru or it wouldn't have taken him over twenty years to get a really good one. Reid lucked into a diamond in the rough, and his gm was smart enough to grab him. If Kyle couldn't develop qbs, explain Brock. It isn't Shanahan's fault that Trey has been injured for two years and that it set him back. It's just bad luck, injuries happen.

What? Kyle hasn't developed any QBs. He has taken average to good QBs and given them a great scheme that has wide open receivers and then told them where and when to throw the ball. I don't believe he wants to develop QBs because he believes so much in his scheme. We will find out if his way can win the SB without an elite QB
Originally posted by tommyncal:
What? Kyle hasn't developed any QBs. He has taken average to good QBs and given them a great scheme that has wide open receivers and then told them where and when to throw the ball. I don't believe he wants to develop QBs because he believes so much in his scheme. We will find out if his way can win the SB without an elite QB

That's the bulk of what coaching/developing a QB is at the NFL level. Putting them in favorable positions… accentuating their strengths and masking their weaknesses. Teaching what the goal of the offense is and how to recognize what defenses are doing.

Of course a coach can tweak things like footwork or releases, but most of the foundation of individual skills are in place by the time a player is a professional. Even when players are described as projects it's usually not in the context of teaching a guy how to play a position from the ground up.

None of this really matters until pads come on. But it's still rediculous that Trey is getting so many limited reps when he needs as many as possible. Correct me if I am wrong but I think most teams are only using 2 QB's in training camp. We are using 4.
None of this really matters until pads come on. But it's still rediculous that Trey is getting so many limited reps when he needs as many as possible. Correct me if I am wrong but I think most teams are only using 2 QB's in training camp. We are using 4.

I think a better way of looking at it is most teams are giving all the 1st team reps to their starter. In that fashion we're no different… except for Purdy's days off.

We're simply having a competition with multiple people for the backup job. It's not high stakes. It only seems that way if you're stuck on Lance's development.
Originally posted by tankle104:
the biggest X factor on offense outside of QB, IMO. I'm concerned but optimistic

So being that this is a Super Bowl or bust team, if McKivitz struggles early, does the team make a trade to secure the position?
In other news

frank's page isn't coming up so I put it here
Originally posted by Memphis9er:

Kyle has said that Brock got almost no practice reps last season before he was thrown in. This offseason Brock rehayand worked with a QB coach In Jacksonville.

Kyle gets the credit for developing Brock when BP started last year as QB3 and only played after two injuries?

yet Andy Reid is the lucky one?
Share 49ersWebzone