There are 169 users in the forums

OL Ilm Manning (2023 UDFA)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I know I don't and will never know more than Foerster regarding OLinemen... I just really dislike the strict adherence to measurables or body types. On the one hand, I get it... but there are always exceptions, and I just have a feeling Manning might be one of those exceptions. Oh well!
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
I know I don't and will never know more than Foerster regarding OLinemen... I just really dislike the strict adherence to measurables or body types. On the one hand, I get it... but there are always exceptions, and I just have a feeling Manning might be one of those exceptions. Oh well!

Keep in mind the 49ers are a zone blocking team, and those reach blocks will be helped by a guy with longer arms. Just sayn'
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
What a f***king joke. OF COURSE. No one would have claimed that bag of trash Zakelj. Unbelievable. I literally can't STAND Foerester's thinking. I have never been a fan of the way he evaluates and uses guys.

OTC was right. Remember all the guys that told you he would make it to the PS?! What a joke to keep FN Zakejl over him
🥀
I mean.. They couldn't have found anyone better with the size and arm length as Zakelj? He was horrific. He didn't earn this spot. That's what pisses me off the most.

Between him and Manning it wasn't even close. If they brought someone else in, OK, cool whatever. But the fact he's just here like he earned it bugs me.
I mean.. They couldn't have found anyone better with the size and arm length as Zakelj? He was horrific. He didn't earn this spot. That's what pisses me off the most.

Between him and Manning it wasn't even close. If they brought someone else in, OK, cool whatever. But the fact he's just here like he earned it bugs me.

I wanted Manning on the team more than some of our second string guys. He looked better and the few wraps pass protecting than anyone not named Trent Williams, Banks or Brendel in my opinion.
Kyle can scheme around this loss.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Kyle can scheme around this loss.

At least his ego says so....
Originally posted by elguapo:

I wanted Manning on the team more than some of our second string guys. He looked better and the few wraps pass protecting than anyone not named Trent Williams, Banks or Brendel in my opinion.

Yeah I'm not getting this at all... makes no sense. His foot work was great.
Why Is he still on niner talk. Move this s**t. He's gone.

Probably time to mover this thread to NFL Talk.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran

The only logical reasoning here is that they see Zakelj similar to McKivtiz. Both had the gold helmet (or whatever tag they use) indicating they are high upside, high character players. McKivtiz went from PS candidate to starting RT in 2023. Also team developed Brunskill from scratch.

I agree that he didn't deserve a spot vs. Manning, but physical attributes + projected upside probably were the swing factors for an OL that is likely the last on the depth chart.
  • JMC52
  • Veteran
Originally posted by captveg:

Yup, never understand why they let select few float around.
Originally posted by JMC52:
Originally posted by captveg:

Yup, never understand why they let select few float around.

Need some GAI up in this biotch
The zone has had a few wins over the years that the FO just disregards. I remember a ton of hype for Allen Robinson pre draft and same with Jimmy g.

Dudes were hyped up and everybody knew they would be good yet for whatever reason the FO just disregards.

Sometimes it's obvious to like 99% of people these dudes are obviously good but don't meet the measurable so the orgs just drop them down their lists.
Share 49ersWebzone