Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ERS vs GIANTS Pregame Thread - 2023 Season Week 3

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Crown:
Demco took until week 5 or so to really find his groove.

Was hoping Wilkes would be a faster start due to his tenure in the league.

I do like his half time adjustment on Sunday.

Arrows up.

Yeah, I feel good about it! I think we will be just fine - just need to be a little patient. We are so used to ridiculous defense that so many in here panic when the other team gets a first down. This Sunday was bad in the first half but it was one half

I liked what Wilks said about his adjustments. He started to bring pressure in the 2nd half. Once the turnovers started, the Rams couldn't adjust against it, and run out of it and resulted in a 2nd turnover. Once that happened, Safford had to keep passing at that point. Game over. Hopefully it will be the same for the Giant's but sooner - like in the first quarter, since Giants have no real run game. Matt Breida is their best run weapon, in my opinion, and this defense will shut him down.

What's the process been like for you to just be up in the booth calling the past two games and just getting a feel for your guys and what positions to put them in, which buttons to push? Is it just a year-long process or do you get more kind of in the focus of what you expect out of your guys?
"Well, I think it's going to constantly be evolving throughout the year, but I don't think it's going to take, if I'm following your question correctly, a season to get a feel for what we want to do. I think you get a feel throughout the course of the game, and I think you saw that the second half and the adjustments that we made when we came out. With our defensive line, I try to allow those guys to settle in and go play. I try not to do a lot, but it turned into a game that [Los Angeles Rams QB Matthew] Stafford was getting rid of the ball quickly. So, you didn't really see the effect of what we are capable of doing up front because they didn't have an opportunity to do that. So, I had to adjust to be able to give those guys time. And the only way you can give them time is to get stickier in coverage on the backend."

I just wish they would of adjusted earlier than at Halftime. You could easily tell whatever they were doing in the first half was being greatly exposed by Stafford.

For sure. I think the 2nd 🐏 's game is going to be a blowout, assuming both teams stay pretty much the same. Which it won't. We'll be meeting the 🐏 in week 17 (or game 17) of the season. A lot of things will have changed by then, I'm sure. If the 🐏 can't establish a decent ground game - it will be a long season for them. McVay is a great passing coach and can scheme around a decent ground game, but not if his ground game its atrocious.
  • thl408
Tough week to be playing what appears to be a blitz happy NYG defense. Need to get all the protection calls right. We all want CMC to get less snaps but if Eli/Mason can't handle blitz protection then it may mean another high snap count game for CMC.
cant believe theres 49ers football tomorrow
Originally posted by thl408:
Tough week to be playing what appears to be a blitz happy NYG defense. Need to get all the protection calls right. We all want CMC to get less snaps but if Eli/Mason can't handle blitz protection then it may mean another high snap count game for CMC.

Good. Keep blitzing Brock. He eats blitzes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So far in his career he has completed 63% of his passes, has a 5:1 TD to INT ratio and a passer rating of 93.2 against the blitz.
LETS GO NINERS!
Originally posted by YACBros85:

Good. Keep blitzing Brock. He eats blitzes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. So far in his career he has completed 63% of his passes, has a 5:1 TD to INT ratio and a passer rating of 93.2 against the blitz.

Ya ask miami and tampa bout it

But Blitzburgh....

• thl408
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:

Ya ask miami and tampa bout it

Oh I know Brock can handle the blitz. My post was more about CMC perhaps having a high snap count again.
Oh I know Brock can handle the blitz. My post was more about CMC perhaps having a high snap count again.

CMC is an animal, he can probably handle it but yeah, at the same time, understand the concern.

• thl408
Air quality is terrible today in the south bay. Hopefully it gets better by tomorrow.

When Bosa

[ Edited by Montana on Sep 20, 2023 at 10:13 AM ]
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
cant believe theres 49ers football tomorrow

and then there will be a long period without it....
Originally posted by Montana:

CMC is an animal, he can probably handle it but yeah, at the same time, understand the concern.

he's RARE.. there's NOT a lot of player in the NFL who's got all the skills he has, and w/the HIGH FOOTBALL IQ he carries.
Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by Crown:
Demco took until week 5 or so to really find his groove.

Was hoping Wilkes would be a faster start due to his tenure in the league.

I do like his half time adjustment on Sunday.

Arrows up.

Yeah, I feel good about it! I think we will be just fine - just need to be a little patient. We are so used to ridiculous defense that so many in here panic when the other team gets a first down. This Sunday was bad in the first half but it was one half

I liked what Wilks said about his adjustments. He started to bring pressure in the 2nd half. Once the turnovers started, the Rams couldn't adjust against it, and run out of it and resulted in a 2nd turnover. Once that happened, Safford had to keep passing at that point. Game over. Hopefully it will be the same for the Giant's but sooner - like in the first quarter, since Giants have no real run game. Matt Breida is their best run weapon, in my opinion, and this defense will shut him down.

What's the process been like for you to just be up in the booth calling the past two games and just getting a feel for your guys and what positions to put them in, which buttons to push? Is it just a year-long process or do you get more kind of in the focus of what you expect out of your guys?
"Well, I think it's going to constantly be evolving throughout the year, but I don't think it's going to take, if I'm following your question correctly, a season to get a feel for what we want to do. I think you get a feel throughout the course of the game, and I think you saw that the second half and the adjustments that we made when we came out. With our defensive line, I try to allow those guys to settle in and go play. I try not to do a lot, but it turned into a game that [Los Angeles Rams QB Matthew] Stafford was getting rid of the ball quickly. So, you didn't really see the effect of what we are capable of doing up front because they didn't have an opportunity to do that. So, I had to adjust to be able to give those guys time. And the only way you can give them time is to get stickier in coverage on the backend."

That's good info, Giedi. Thanks
Share 49ersWebzone