There are 290 users in the forums

49ERS vs GIANTS Pregame Thread - 2023 Season Week 3

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ERS vs GIANTS Pregame Thread - 2023 Season Week 3

Are the Giants staying on the West Coast this week?
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Are the Giants staying on the West Coast this week?

Staying in AZ
We should roll, I just hope we can walk away clean again. Hopefully we'll get a chance to see Jordan Mason and Ronnie Bell get involved.

Would love to see a blowout where Sam Darnold could play the entire 4th.
Score early and often. And let Bosa and the boys feast upfront. I'm hoping for at least a 2 TD margin.
[ Edited by frankieuc68 on Sep 18, 2023 at 10:26 AM ]
"Enjoy the journey, it's equally imp as the destination"
Fine.
However, after the last few years, reaching the playoffs/NFCCG seems like a given (which is a great thing by itself). Every new season you have - players moving on, injuries!, salary cap, new co-ordinators, etc, etc. It's important that you win the SB when the stars are pretty much aligned, at least for the most part.

Dallas defense gave up 200+ yds so far, 49ers defense gave up 450+ (yes, the opponents are diff, and a ton of other things). Every game the 49ers play, needs to be evaluated against how these teams performed each Sunday: Chiefs, Bills, Ravens, Eagles, Cowboys.

The Giants lost to the Cowboys 40-0, so let's hope for a dominating performance this Thur.
Need to pound these jabronis
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Fine.
However, after the last few years, reaching the playoffs/NFCCG seems like a given (which is a great thing by itself). Every new season you have - players moving on, injuries!, salary cap, new co-ordinators, etc, etc. It's important that you win the SB when the stars are pretty much aligned, at least for the most part.

Dallas defense gave up 200+ yds so far, 49ers defense gave up 450+ (yes, the opponents are diff, and a ton of other things). Every game the 49ers play, needs to be evaluated against how these teams performed each Sunday: Chiefs, Bills, Ravens, Eagles, Cowboys.

The Giants lost to the Cowboys 40-0, so let's hope for a dominating performance this Thur.

I would actually disagree with that mindset. It just creates weird expectations for fans. Every game is different and every team matches up differently. Teams are always trying different strategies, and it's why the results are different when teams play eachother multiple times in a year.

I'm definitely rooting for the 49ers to win big against the Giants, but expecting them to shut them out and win by 30, 40 points just because the Cowboys did is a bit much.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Fine.

I would actually disagree with that mindset. It just creates weird expectations for fans. Every game is different and every team matches up differently. Teams are always trying different strategies, and it's why the results are different when teams play eachother multiple times in a year.

I'm definitely rooting for the 49ers to win big against the Giants, but expecting them to shut them out and win by 30, 40 points just because the Cowboys did is a bit much.

Especially when we will actually play the Cowboys, Eagles, Ravens this year. It's a better way to evaluate the team than to compare how Dallas played a division rival they see twice a year vs us playing that same team once every 3-4 years…
Originally posted by DrEll:
Fine.

Especially when we will actually play the Cowboys, Eagles, Ravens this year. It's a better way to evaluate the team than to compare how Dallas played a division rival they see twice a year vs us playing that same team once every 3-4 years…

I'm just happy we've started this season off relatively sharp. Recent years, we've started off slow and have had to put up huge win streaks in the end of the year.

I'm expecting we make the playoffs, expecting we win our division.
But as exciting as it is to evaluate our team over the course of the year... teams will adjust to what we do, and the playcalling and scheming will change over the year. Injuries will happen. But I'm hoping we don't have anything catastrophic, that we can roll into the playoffs healthy. The hope is that we can get into December healthy and really peak late in the year.
For the love of god give Mitchell and Mason some carries this week.

We need CMC at full strength for Dallas.

Fine.

I agree that getting a similar outcome (40-0) is quite rare, even if the same two teams play again. However, I think the key phrase we should be looking for - dominating performance.
True, until we play the actual teams (Cowboys/Eagles/Ravens), all we have meanwhile is evaluate the 49ers against the common opponents, which is one such this Thursday.
Fine.

I agree that getting a similar outcome (40-0) is quite rare, even if the same two teams play again. However, I think the key phrase we should be looking for - dominating performance.
True, until we play the actual teams (Cowboys/Eagles/Ravens), all we have meanwhile is evaluate the 49ers against the common opponents, which is one such this Thursday.

I root for a dominating performance.
I personally won't bother trying to compare to how we play against mutual opponents. 49ers/Cowboys are built differently, so every team will match-up better/worse.

I prefer to just watch the games and just consider how we match up against the other team, how we choose to gameplan against them, and then how well/poorly we execute.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Waterbear:

It's getting a little annoying.
Originally posted by Crown:

Shanahan was repeatedly asked about this on diff occasions, so it's not like he doesn't know or hasn't thought about it. I think there seems to be a "productivity factor" in his mind(?), hard to imagine what else it could be, given all seem healthy.
Originally posted by Crown:

Shanahan was repeatedly asked about this on diff occasions, so it's not like he doesn't know or hasn't thought about it. I think there seems to be a "productivity factor" in his mind(?), hard to imagine what else it could be, given all seem healthy.

I understand when you're in a close game, you want your best players out there, but he needs to give CMC some rest this week if we're up big on the G men.
Share 49ersWebzone