LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 209 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS at PHILADELPHIA EAGLES - 2023 Season Game 12

Shop Find 49ers gear online

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS at PHILADELPHIA EAGLES - 2023 Season Game 12

Originally posted by SLCNiner:
David Carr on NFLTA describing how Dallas can beat Philly: "They just gotta do what SF did."

That's awesome!
  • thl408
Originally posted by Wubbie:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by SLCNiner:
David Carr on NFLTA describing how Dallas can beat Philly: "They just gotta do what SF did."

Offensively, good luck doing what the 49ers did. Defensively, I feel the 49ers did expose Hurts as a subpar pocket QB.

I'm curious to see how Dallas defense gameplans against Hurts.
To me, their MO feels more like disruption with their pass rush, causing turnovers. For us, I feel like we're better equipped to containing Jalen Hurts because I think we're a more disciplined defense.

It does take the team buying into the gameplan, and unselfishness to do what the 49ers did. Who knows whether DAL is able to do that for an entire 4 quarters. But if they want this win, they may need to. The other key part is how DAL likes to play man coverage, and I think that plays into the hands of Hurts. Man coverage is typically easier to diagnose for a QB, and PHI has two good WRs. Hurts seems to have more trouble reading zone. Hopefully DAL mixes it up and keeps Hurts off balance.
Dallas doesn't have the lbs to do what we did/as we did it, but they have some strengths on defense we don't (speed on DL). Unfortunately we have to root for cowboys this week
Originally posted by frenchmov:
Dallas doesn't have the lbs to do what we did/as we did it, but they have some strengths on defense we don't (speed on DL). Unfortunately we have to root for cowboys this week

working on it, dont know if i can do it.... might have to get out the sock puppets and have them do it for me

nah im rooting for a meteor to strike the field
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by Montana:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Philly fans really complaining about the schedule is why the team loss lol.

They should be complaining about how their QB had all day in the pocket but could only muster up 19 points.

Right? This is what really surprised me..all day and couldn't be decisive at all. He honestly looked lost out there. Head in the clouds. I mean..he had that Kaepernick deer in the headlights s**t going on but worse lol

I think the contested passes by our DBs early got him spooked. What he thought might be a good get in previous games, seemed risky all of a sudden lol

Kaepernick was never the same after that 2 picks by Mathieu

No question that the DBs contested the living daylights for those passes. But the real answer…or rather an equally important part of the equation was the Wilks "CONTAIN" philosophy, thank God. We have routinely let running QBs have their way with us but finally, Wilks got his DL to rush Hurts with "CONTAIN" in mind. How many times did you see Hurts back there 4, 5, 5.5 seconds with 49ers on both sides of him and up the gut also. He was , in the full sense of the word, CONTAINED. And granted without some sensational DB play, this would have fallen flat…so hats off to the DBs too..

I have been saying the beads for years for contain every time we play against a runner QB. AZ, Ravens, formerly Russ Wilson, (but no longer), and they always beat us up. Why? Because we did not contain them. This time, WILKS definitely got their attention, and had #97, Chase, Arik, Gravedigger, et al, hem Hurts in and only once or twice did he escape and then, it was only for 5 yds or so.

This is a major league breakthru for the D, and hats off to Wilks for making it happen. Good as Saleh was, good as Meco was, neither one of them either coached or forced our D to CONTAIN. There were some unbelievable man on man, dog on dog, fights out there and #97 and Fletcher Cox (?) were the prime event. All that work and mostly Nick just got contain. But he sure as hell put 185% into his passrush, and always managed to contain Hurts.
It is no longer a secret, our guys, good as they are, CAN give up trying for sacks and play contain.. (Yes, we still got some), but nobody every sliced in from Edge to attempt a sack. It always (the sack) came after the CONTAIN.

Hats off to Mr. DC Wilks, and his coaching our guys up on D about how to stop runner QBs . Great job, Steve…and I doubted you at the start. Mea culpa and my sincere apologies.

Oh and that faraway "deer look" in Hurts eyes…that was a guy caught in contain with no ruddy idea what to do about it. Result? 42-19
[ Edited by pasodoc9er on Dec 6, 2023 at 3:41 PM ]
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

They should be complaining about how their QB had all day in the pocket but could only muster up 19 points.

Right? This is what really surprised me..all day and couldn't be decisive at all. He honestly looked lost out there. Head in the clouds. I mean..he had that Kaepernick deer in the headlights s**t going on but worse lol

I think the contested passes by our DBs early got him spooked. What he thought might be a good get in previous games, seemed risky all of a sudden lol

No question that the DBs contested the living daylights for those passes. But the real answer…or rather an equally important part of the equation was the Wilks "CONTAIN" philosophy, thank God. We have routinely let running QBs have their way with us but finally, Wilks got his DL to rush Hurts with "CONTAIN" in mind. How many times did you see Hurts back there 4, 5, 5.5 seconds with 49ers on both sides of him and up the gut also. He was , in the full sense of the word, CONTAINED. And granted without some sensational DB play, this would have fallen flat…so hats off to the DBs too..

I have been saying the beads for years for contain every time we play against a runner QB. AZ, Ravens, formerly Russ Wilson, (but no longer), and they always beat us up. Why? Because we did not contain them. This time, WILKS definitely got their attention, and had #97, Chase, Arik, Gravedigger, et al, hem Hurts in and only once or twice did he escape and then, it was only for 5 yds or so.

This is a major league breakthru for the D, and hats off to Wilks for making it happen. Good as Saleh was, good as Meco was, neither one of them either coached or forced our D to CONTAIN. There were some unbelievable man on man, dog on dog, fights out there and #97 and Fletcher Cox (?) were the prime event. All that work and mostly Nick just got contain. But he sure as hell put 185% into his passrush, and always managed to contain Hurts.
It is no longer a secret, our guys, good as they are, CAN give up trying for sacks and play contain.. (Yes, we still got some), but nobody every sliced in from Edge to attempt a sack. It always (the sack) came after the CONTAIN.

Hats off to Mr. DC Wilks, and his coaching our guys up on D about how to stop runner QBs . Great job, Steve…and I doubted you at the start. Mea culpa and my sincere apologies.

Oh and that faraway "deer look" in Hurts eyes…that was a guy caught in contain with no ruddy idea what to do about it. Result? 42-19

We litterally had the same exact gameplan in the championship game. Held Hurts and that offense to 3.8 yards per play.

We litterally had the same exact gameplan in the championship game. Held Hurts and that offense to 3.8 yards per play.

Other teams have done this as well.

Now stopping the run with a light box on the other hand… other teams can't do that.

I'll be rooting for the Cowboys and soft tissue injuries all around.
Well, according to Kurt Warner, this game had a chance to be closer than it ended up looking. He did a breakdown on Hurts, pointing out all of the open shots that were there but Hurts didn't see. I don't follow the Eagles, but Warner said this wasn't Hurts' usual MO, and that he was generally better than he showed in this game. Something to keep an eye on if there is a rematch down the road.

Originally posted by pasodoc9er:

You're right YAC, we did. I guess it is just that our QB got to play for only a handful of plays last yr and it made everything else we did seem not very important. We did have Hurts contained back then, and had Brock not had that UCL tear, i bet the result would have been same as this past Sunday
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Well, according to Kurt Warner, this game had a chance to be closer than it ended up looking. He did a breakdown on Hurts, pointing out all of the open shots that were there but Hurts didn't see. I don't follow the Eagles, but Warner said this wasn't Hurts' usual MO, and that he was generally better than he showed in this game. Something to keep an eye on if there is a rematch down the road.

Gotta disagree with Warner here. He's picking at small details. The Eagles players aren't wide open. But they do have a chance to make a play if Hurts had anticipation, which is something he definitely lacks.

Sorry but people need to get off the "Hurts is great" bandwagon. His mobility gives him an added advantage because he buys more time to find his receivers, but he's nothing more than a refined Russell Wilson in his prime. Either find his talented receivers wide open or throw up prayers and hope his guys make a play.

Not impressed
Originally posted by DrEll:
Gotta disagree with Warner here. He's picking at small details. The Eagles players aren't wide open. But they do have a chance to make a play if Hurts had anticipation, which is something he definitely lacks.

Sorry but people need to get off the "Hurts is great" bandwagon. His mobility gives him an added advantage because he buys more time to find his receivers, but he's nothing more than a refined Russell Wilson in his prime. Either find his talented receivers wide open or throw up prayers and hope his guys make a play.

Not impressed

He's not a great passer in this context. That's not really a secret.

I'm taking prime Mr Unlimited over him as well. Definitely don't think Hurts is a refined version of him. They're different players.

After watching JTO's breakdown. There is no surprise for why the 49ers went out this week and signed a strong safety. We have to sit the rook. He was too many times out of position and the reason for those WAO windows to the TE.

There's something called "getting in a players head" which is what the Niners did. I'm sure there were wide open receivers on some plays. He was probably thinking about the pass rush and his mental clock was off. That's part of playing great D. Sometimes it's the illusion that gets players to play bad.

We can look back at our Superbowl L to KC. There were wide open chances for Jimmy on several plays. He missed them because he started to feel the pressure and he also kind of sucked.

I just hate that take that it would have closer if Hurts hit his wide open guys. Yea no s**t.
[ Edited by Silky on Dec 6, 2023 at 5:13 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone