There are 232 users in the forums

Week 13 PHI Eagles Coaches Film Analysis

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Great video as always!!
Originally posted by thl408:
jd, you mentioned the use of 4x1 formations multiple times but didn't divulge into why the 49ers were doing that. With the rise of split safety coverages, there has also been a rise of 4x1 usage. One critical aspect of using 4x1 is having a dominant '1' which forces defenses (the CB) to either play with a cushion on the 1, or bring a safety over to help. PHI chose to play soft over the 1 and that allowed Aiyuk to get some really easy catches, taking advantage of the large cushion.

Kyle did a great job of exposing the weak offball LBs of PHI. So badly that, after the game, they immediately went out and signed a LB with a gimpy back in desperation. There was a stat put out pregame where PHI defense allowed the least YAC, or least yards after initial contact, something like that. Deebo Kittle Jennings said "F that stat."

Mr. Irrelevant
jd, you mentioned the use of 4x1 formations multiple times but didn't divulge into why the 49ers were doing that. With the rise of split safety coverages, there has also been a rise of 4x1 usage. One critical aspect of using 4x1 is having a dominant '1' which forces defenses (the CB) to either play with a cushion on the 1, or bring a safety over to help. PHI chose to play soft over the 1 and that allowed Aiyuk to get some really easy catches, taking advantage of the large cushion.

Kyle did a great job of exposing the weak offball LBs of PHI. So badly that, after the game, they immediately went out and signed a LB with a gimpy back in desperation. There was a stat put out pregame where PHI defense allowed the least YAC, or least yards after initial contact, something like that. Deebo Kittle Jennings said "F that stat."

In fairness to the Eagles, they understand that if they don't touch someone, the opponent can't get yards after contact. What the rest of the world perceived as an embarrassing failure was just them cleverly padding stats.
Originally posted by jonnydel:
So, there were just too many good plays that just couldn't be left out, so this week is being split into two videos with part 2 coming out tomorrow on the defense.

Watched every second. You are the man.

time to order from your sponsors.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I haven't watched the video yet because I'm at work, but did you see Oliver at safety for a couple reps? I could have sworn he played some safety vs the Eagles.

He did. I think it was the first 2 drives. Not sure what they were doing there and I haven't seen anything that explained it

I thought Gipson had to get off the field for a few plays, and Oliver came in.
Originally posted by Furlow:
At 12:20 you discuss the "rail shot" to CMC on the sideline, and what stands out to me is how hard Jennings ran that "basic/in" route to get the CB to bail. That gave CMC so much extra space to work with. To me that's the one aspect of Deebo's game that is lacking - his clear out routes when he's not getting the ball. Wish he'd run hard like Aiyuk and Jennings do.

me too

I haven't watched jonnys video yet, but I watch the all-22 for every game. His run blocking leaves a lot to be desired as well, nothing like Aiyuk and Jennings there either. Seems like he saves all of his energy and effort for when he gets the ball, a lot of WRs do it
Originally posted by 49ers808:
At 12:20 you discuss the "rail shot" to CMC on the sideline, and what stands out to me is how hard Jennings ran that "basic/in" route to get the CB to bail. That gave CMC so much extra space to work with. To me that's the one aspect of Deebo's game that is lacking - his clear out routes when he's not getting the ball. Wish he'd run hard like Aiyuk and Jennings do.

me too

I haven't watched jonnys video yet, but I watch the all-22 for every game. His run blocking leaves a lot to be desired as well, nothing like Aiyuk and Jennings there either. Seems like he saves all of his energy and effort for when he gets the ball, a lot of WRs do it

When you are one of the team captains, you are supposed to be a role model for the rest of team.

me too

Yeah, the screen to deebo that went for a touchdown - CMC super sold the fake to him, it's one of the main elements that made that play so explosive.

i haven't watched a ton of all 22 film but it does seem like deebo leaves a lot to be desired on those kind of plays. When he gives something his all, he's super dynamic and nearly unstoppable. If he did that on the plays where he isn't getting the ball, I'm sure it would open up bigger plays for the other guys, like they do for him.

overall, I love deebo and am happy with him. If he has to conserve his energy to do what he does, then I'm fine with that. I'd like to see him go a little harder on the little things though. Maybe he has nagging injuries and just ignores it on plays when he gets the ball.

jts funny how in general he isn't that fast, but when he has the ball - he's super fast. Lol

Yeah, the 4x1 usage in this game was wayyyyyy more than any other team and I think it had to do with Desai. He normally likes to cross key a ton in C4 and take away those crossers. It's a very, very Fangio based defense. So, the 4x1 is a way to force Desai to either roll to the heavy strength and leave that backside on an island in a soft zone, or let yourself be outleveraged.

It also prevents them from running that fangio staple, 4-trix.
Originally posted by libertyforever:
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I haven't watched the video yet because I'm at work, but did you see Oliver at safety for a couple reps? I could have sworn he played some safety vs the Eagles.

He did. I think it was the first 2 drives. Not sure what they were doing there and I haven't seen anything that explained it

I thought Gipson had to get off the field for a few plays, and Oliver came in.

I think Gipson got a little banged up on ST's and that's why he wasn't out there on defense at first.

• Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tankle104:

me too

Yeah, the screen to deebo that went for a touchdown - CMC super sold the fake to him, it's one of the main elements that made that play so explosive.

i haven't watched a ton of all 22 film but it does seem like deebo leaves a lot to be desired on those kind of plays. When he gives something his all, he's super dynamic and nearly unstoppable. If he did that on the plays where he isn't getting the ball, I'm sure it would open up bigger plays for the other guys, like they do for him.

overall, I love deebo and am happy with him. If he has to conserve his energy to do what he does, then I'm fine with that. I'd like to see him go a little harder on the little things though. Maybe he has nagging injuries and just ignores it on plays when he gets the ball.

jts funny how in general he isn't that fast, but when he has the ball - he's super fast. Lol

Personally, IMO, every team has to account and gameplan for Deebo. Deebo doesn't have to do much to attract any attention. He could be sipping a margarita on the field and defenses will still double the guy.
  • Giedi
  • Veteran

Yeah, the 4x1 usage in this game was wayyyyyy more than any other team and I think it had to do with Desai. He normally likes to cross key a ton in C4 and take away those crossers. It's a very, very Fangio based defense. So, the 4x1 is a way to force Desai to either roll to the heavy strength and leave that backside on an island in a soft zone, or let yourself be outleveraged.

Desai was Pete Carroll's Assistant Head Coach, so there's that aspect of zone for the Philly defense.
I typically watch a number of film break downs but this is always the one I most look forward to. Keep doing your thing!
  • thl408
jd, perhaps you've already made the final cut to the defensive film, but please touch on how the 49ers shut down the PHI run game. Coming into the game, I thought that the only way PHI would have offensive success is if they could consistently run the ball. It seemed as though they didn't stay committed to the run game. And while it wasn't very effective out of the gate, they should have stayed committed to it because there was no way Hurts was going to win in the straight dropback passing game.
  • thl408

With the high amount of possible mismatches the 49ers can present due to the amount of high end skill players, defenses have no clear answer for when the 49ers go 4x1. It truly is a pick your poison type of situation.

GB did this with DAdams as the 1. KC does it with Kelce. But no team also has multiple monsters in that group of 4 AND have a mismatch with the '1'.
Share 49ersWebzone