Rams overcome career game from Jauan Jennings, rally to stun 49ers on late field goal, 27-24 →

There are 522 users in the forums

49ers 2023 Offense vs. the 2023 Defense: Who wins?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

49ers 2023 Offense vs. the 2023 Defense: Who wins?

Thought this would be a fun discussion, that I don't think fits in any of our existing threads.
I was just thinking that the 49ers offense is so talented, so well-schemed, that there are few defenses that could handle them. But then I thought, "I bet our own defense could hold their own."

If you had the 49er #1's on offense against the 49er #1's on defense, with Shanahan and Wilks calling, say, 12 drives against eachother. How do you think that goes?
Anyone recall how things went in training camp? Curious how things look now. Presently when the teams practice, the offensive and defensive starters don't play eachother and practice against the scout team.

• Do you think Mooney Ward can cover Brandon Aiyuk one-on-one?
  • I bet that Lenoir, Thomas and our safeties would break up some passes on Deebo/Kittle, but if they lose just one... Deebo/Kittle would be truck-sticking guys and running through defenses.
  • I bet Jauan Jennings would get some third down conversions over whoever the nickel is.
  • Can defensive front 7 shutdown our run game? I give defense the advantage.
  • Bosa vs. Trent Williams would be a heavyweight match-up, but could AA, Hargraves, Chase Young, and company feast on the other offensive line?
  • I bet Fred Warner and Dre Greenlaw could chase down CMC and Deebo Samuel all over the field in the short/intermediate passes.

My guess? In 12 drives, 49ers Defense holds 49ers Offense to 2 TD's and few field goals, but maybe force a turnover. So... 20 points, turnover, and a few sacks.
[ Edited by Wubbie on Dec 12, 2023 at 11:41 AM ]
great thread

if we go tale of the tape, the D is #1 in points 7th in yds
O is #3 in points, 2nd in yds

we have the #1 rush D in football
and we force more INTs than any team

it's pretty wild, you could argue we have the top O and the top D in the game
our challenge will be team that can make a similar argument

KC has Mahomes and Reid with the #3 D in points
DAL is #1 in points for and top 5 points against
BAL will be an interesting test, top 5 in both also (SB preview??)
1989 offense wins
Brock would destroy them. Our defensive line is so overrated at bringing pressure. Purdy would eat up our dbs.

As long as burford didn't choke it wouldn't be close. Our defensive is good but nowhere near all time teams or teams of past.
Originally posted by BoldRedandGold:
Brock would destroy them. Our defensive line is so overrated at bringing pressure. Purdy would eat up our dbs.

As long as burford didn't choke it wouldn't be close. Our defensive is good but nowhere near all time teams or teams of past.

Do you feel confident in leaving Burford and McKivitz in blocking situations where they may potentially have 1 on 1's with Bosa and Hargrave?
Originally posted by Wubbie:

Do you feel confident in leaving Burford and McKivitz in blocking situations where they may potentially have 1 on 1's with Bosa and Hargrave?

Boom, roasted.
I like your view here on the matchups Wubbie

If they go for the sack they'll lose contain and purdy will shred them with his legs like the running QBs do to us all the time or throw it over bosa and make him look silly.

Still confident the offense would crush them.
Assuming the injured are back, I go for the D. But it is close.

If they go for the sack they'll lose contain and purdy will shred them with his legs like the running QBs do to us all the time or throw it over bosa and make him look silly.

Purdy's slippery, yes, but he doesn't escape every play. 26 sacks in 13 games, 2 sacks a game.

I will say that if the 49ers fielded a similar pass rush gameplan that we did versus the Eagles, where we only needed to contain Jalen Hurts and make him play as a conventional QB, Purdy would just eat that up.
But at the same time, I believe Bosa could bullrush the crap out of McKivitz and collapse that pocket real fast.

I think Kittle and/or Juice would have to help out McKivitz, potentially taking one of them out as a pass option.
From there, the chess match happens. Pretty sure Shanahan would wipe the floor with Wilks.

(I don't actually have an argument in favor for/or against who wins in this hypothetical, but I don't think the offense puts up 30 on our defense).

Do we actually struggle with mobile qb's as much as our past reputation would suggest, or moreso than any other good-great defense? I don't think we do. Our worst defensive games this season have been against teams with quality pocket passers.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Dec 12, 2023 at 2:52 PM ]
I just think it's a fantastic match-up, because one of the things we like to do on offense is attack the opposing team's linebackers.
But on defense, we have two of the fastest linebackers in the league. Fred Warner is so rangy, it's a weekly occurrence for them to see a highlight of him racing from the LOS back to the deep third and take away and intermediate/deep route.
[ Edited by Wubbie on Dec 12, 2023 at 2:53 PM ]
I just think it's a fantastic match-up, because one of the things we like to do on offense is attack the opposing team's linebackers.
But on defense, we have two of the fastest linebackers in the league. Fred Warner is so rangy, it's a weekly occurrence for them to see a highlight of him racing from the LOS back to the deep third and take away and intermediate/deep route.

Get a decent comparison in the context of this type of matchup in two weeks.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Get a decent comparison in the context of this type of matchup in two weeks.

I haven't seen a lot of the Ravens. Curious to see how that goes.

I remember last year against the Dolphins, that was SUPER interesting to watch.
Share 49ersWebzone