There are 128 users in the forums

Week 14 vs SEA Seahawks Coaches Film Analysis thread

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I thought this was Wilks's best called game of the year.

Will be hitting on Brock Purdy tomorrow or Thursday evening

Originally posted by jonnydel:
I thought this was Wilks's best called game of the year.

Will be hitting on Brock Purdy tomorrow or Thursday evening

Hoooray, let's go!!
It looks like the defense, as a whole, is really playing together these last couple games. I remember during our three game skid, you mentioned that the defense is playing a lot of undisciplined football, and it's good to see that they've regrouped and seem much more dialed in now. But yeah... watching these defensive breakdowns make me appreciate just how intelligent you have to be to play defense. Have to read and react to what the offense is doing quickly, and then go through your defensive rules within a respective play. I can totally see why defenses struggle if the team loses discipline.

And it also seems like Steve Wilks had a great plan to just take out the Seahawks' best player.

QUESTION!
How are our young defensive backs (Deommodore Lenoir, Ambry Thomas, and Ji'Ayir Brown) faring? Viewers of the live broadcast usually only see the extremes of DB play--- either they get burned, or they make a nice pass break-up or INT... and then make a narrow-minded judgement on the results of the play. Like, in this case, it sounds like Ambry Thomas had solid coverage on DK Metcalf early in the game, but Drew Lock just had an outstanding throw that you don't expect him to make again. But for the live broadcast, I admittedly was just shaking my head "Ambry got burned", when that wasn't necessarily the case.

I'm curious how we'll fare with Lenoir/Thomas, with Mooney possibly being day-to-day or week-to-week with his groin.
Curious how Ji'Ayir Brown is faring and if we should have any concern when playoffs come, and we have stronger offenses that will want to target the rookie safety.
[ Edited by Wubbie on Dec 12, 2023 at 2:10 PM ]
The solid run defense is starting to show up on the stat sheet as well. We were giving up an average of 4.1 ypa on the season. But the last 3 weeks that average has been 3.5 ypa. That puts this run defense now in the top 10. 8th to be exact.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Dec 12, 2023 at 2:28 PM ]
Originally posted by Wubbie:
It looks like the defense, as a whole, is really playing together these last couple games. I remember during our three game skid, you mentioned that the defense is playing a lot of undisciplined football, and it's good to see that they've regrouped and seem much more dialed in now. But yeah... watching these defensive breakdowns make me appreciate just how intelligent you have to be to play defense. Have to read and react to what the offense is doing quickly, and then go through your defensive rules within a respective play. I can totally see why defenses struggle if the team loses discipline.

And it also seems like Steve Wilks had a great plan to just take out the Seahawks' best player.

QUESTION!
How are our young defensive backs (Deommodore Lenoir, Ambry Thomas, and Ji'Ayir Brown) faring? Viewers of the live broadcast usually only see the extremes of DB play--- either they get burned, or they make a nice pass break-up or INT... and then make a narrow-minded judgement on the results of the play. Like, in this case, it sounds like Ambry Thomas had solid coverage on DK Metcalf early in the game, but Drew Lock just had an outstanding throw that you don't expect him to make again. But for the live broadcast, I admittedly was just shaking my head "Ambry got burned", when that wasn't necessarily the case.

I'm curious how we'll fare with Lenoir/Thomas, with Mooney possibly being day-to-day or week-to-week with his groin.
Curious how Ji'Ayir Brown is faring and if we should have any concern when playoffs come, and we have stronger offenses that will want to target the rookie safety.

With how Lenoire and Thomas have been playing I don't have concerns there. The bigger concern is Isaiah Oliver because he's such a liability in man-coverage.
  • thl408
The amount of coverage disguises is a big difference with rookie safeties from their college defenses. This is one aspect that could have taken a step back with a rookie at safety once Huf was out. I'm glad Wilks is not backing down with the disguises. Lock should have caught on that the 49ers would always cloud over DK.
Kinlaw's game is looking better and it makes his early injuries such a bummer. Him becoming a stout run stopper will be key to this defense. Taking snap counts away from the two main DTs will pay off in the 4th quarter.

Thanks for breaking this game up into defense and offense. You can also see any gameplan adjustments made when it's broken up this way.
Originally posted by thl408:
The amount of coverage disguises is a big difference with rookie safeties from their college defenses. This is one aspect that could have taken a step back with a rookie at safety once Huf was out. I'm glad Wilks is not backing down with the disguises. Lock should have caught on that the 49ers would always cloud over DK.
Kinlaw's game is looking better and it makes his early injuries such a bummer. Him becoming a stout run stopper will be key to this defense. Taking snap counts away from the two main DTs will pay off in the 4th quarter.

Thanks for breaking this game up into defense and offense. You can also see any gameplan adjustments made when it's broken up this way.

In a perfect world, I'd be able to do it for every game but a pace like this about kills me.

I got the film at 2 PM on Monday, it took me 16 hours of work to put this video together and I released it at 2:15 PM Tuesday. I slept a total of 5 1/2 hours to get it all in and the family. Been working on a Purdy video for a further 6 hours today and will have another 4-5 hours of editing still to go and have to squeeze in 35 hours at work wed-fri and a further 5 on Sunday and it's just over a week before Xmas and haven't been able to do hardly any shopping for my kids yet due to time. It's getting rough 😩
Great video. Absolutely love how the defense has been playing
In a perfect world, I'd be able to do it for every game but a pace like this about kills me.

I got the film at 2 PM on Monday, it took me 16 hours of work to put this video together and I released it at 2:15 PM Tuesday. I slept a total of 5 1/2 hours to get it all in and the family. Been working on a Purdy video for a further 6 hours today and will have another 4-5 hours of editing still to go and have to squeeze in 35 hours at work wed-fri and a further 5 on Sunday and it's just over a week before Xmas and haven't been able to do hardly any shopping for my kids yet due to time. It's getting rough 😩

Thanks jonnydel. These videos are a great early Christmas present for us but I have some sympathy for your kids. Truly great stuff though. I love how your videos take us through the arc of the game, rather than being a series of simple static analyses. Truly exceptional.
Excellent analysis as always.

Ji'Ayir have shown lots of potential. I feel like he is a Hufanga clone. He has similar strengths and weaknesses compared to Hufanga. They don't have the fastest speed, can deliver big hits but not sure tacklers, and they are ball hawks. Assuming they are the team's starting safeties in the future, I guess I am just not sure they will complement each other very well. I feel like having Gipson or Jimmie Ward type player pair with one of them would be much more suitable. What are your thoughts?

Originally posted by libertyforever:

Ji'Ayir have shown lots of potential. I feel like he is a Hufanga clone. He has similar strengths and weaknesses compared to Hufanga. They don't have the fastest speed, can deliver big hits but not sure tacklers, and they are ball hawks. Assuming they are the team's starting safeties in the future, I guess I am just not sure they will complement each other very well. I feel like having Gipson or Jimmie Ward type player pair with one of them would be much more suitable. What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are Jimmie Ward was never a true playmaker and hardly ever turned the ball over. I'll happily roll the dice on guys like Brown and Huff's style.

Dude! Well, be assured that your efforts are very much appreciated.

I feel like Ja'Yir Brown is closer to Gipson than Hufanga. To me, the Hufanga clone in the draft was Sydney Brown. He went to the Eagles as the top safety picked.

I feel like Ja'Yir Brown is closer to Gipson than Hufanga. To me, the Hufanga clone in the draft was Sydney Brown. He went to the Eagles as the top safety picked.

Got it. I guess I need to watch more film. Thank you.
  • thl408
Originally posted by thl408:

All good. Curious, what is the least enjoyable part of the entire process? For sure not the film watching part. Maybe the voice recording part? Your clear narration makes me think you are sometimes re-recording parts if it's ever unclear. When I use to cut up plays with pics and gifs, I found the least enjoyable part making the arrows on routes. Thanks for putting in the extra effort this week in making two vids.

Now that we've seen many more weeks of Wilks' defense, do you notice anything that stands out being very different from Ryans' scheme? The main difference I see is more man coverage calls. And so as a whole, Wilks is mixing up calls more throughout the course of a game by calling more man than Ryans. The blitzing seems to have tapered off from earlier this season. As for the playcalls themselves, I don't notice too much difference. Good mix of various zones (similar to Ryans) with more man coverage when compared to Ryans.
Share 49ersWebzone