LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 229 users in the forums

Is Christian McCaffrey the best Rb ever to wear a 9er uniform?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Christian McCaffrey the best Rb ever to wear a 9er uniform?

Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
I'm getting old but if memory serves me didn't they bring in Johnny Johnson in an effort to replace Waters and he never saw the field do to back problems? But riding with a guy like Loville was a real head scratcher.

They tried to bring in Johnson, traded for Derrick Moore, looked at Rodney Hampton but they seemingly had no good, firm plan for replacing Watters who had been a crucial part of the offense.
I forgot all about Moore,but do remember talk of Hampton & Ronnie Harmon now that you mention it,Marion Butts & Ricky Irvin passed through for a look see during that time aswell.

I remember screaming for them to draft a RB back at the time and they ended up taking Stephen Pitts late during that time frame.lol
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Dude's been here less than two seasons. Chill.

It's not his fault he had to be a panther for so long
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by DaleGribble:
I'm getting old but if memory serves me didn't they bring in Johnny Johnson in an effort to replace Waters and he never saw the field do to back problems? But riding with a guy like Loville was a real head scratcher.

They tried to bring in Johnson, traded for Derrick Moore, looked at Rodney Hampton but they seemingly had no good, firm plan for replacing Watters who had been a crucial part of the offense.

Ideally, Seifert should've retired in '95 offseason, Mike Shanahan should've been promised the HC job late in '94 before teams could interview him, Niners DON'T trade up for JJ Stokes in the '95 draft and select Ray Lewis instead, and Mike Shanahan drafts Terrell Davis to the Niners in the 6th round of same said draft. Niners don't lose to Atlanta in the '95 season finale and avoid GB altogether, they beat the Cowboys again @ Candlestick and win Lombardi #6 against Pittsburg in January 1996. DC Pete Carroll and OC Steve Mariucci help the Niners complete the three peat in 1996 over the Patriots, the Niners 50th anniversary season.
I like everything except drafting Ray Lewis.
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by D0PEMAN:
u serious? staley is NOT trent williams, this convo ends there.

Larry Allen was pretty good.

great during his cowboy years, he was a shell of himself as a niner

try again guys, also kyle jusczyk is arguably the greatest fullback of all time....u guys want to compare him to fred beasley? lolol

I seriously doubt....anyone....is going to say Juice is the best FB of all time

Juice might arguably be the best FB in the NFL today...depending on what you want....but ....all time? no way....

Even if we were going to talk only 49er fullbacks....dude is behind Roger Craig and Rathman 100%.

Peak Juice is not on anyone's top 20 in the history of the NFL list....period.....

We are talking about a 350 yards from scrimmage blocker...at BEST.... He is a situational player.

You got guys like Craig who produced 2000 yards from scrimmage AS A FB...he turned in at least 1000 yards ever single season he lined up at FB.

You got other 1000 yard guys like Earl Cooper...heck Rathman flirted with 1000 yards but came up a tad short in the mid 900s.

Heck you have guys like Marc Logan and William Floyd that put up over 500 yards...

All 5 of those guys were fantastic blockers.

My God....if Shanny ran into the next Roger Craig, Earl Cooper ...heck even Tom Rathman...as creative as he is....dude...Juice would never see the field and end up off the team.

Juice is a good player....but the dude is a lot closer to Marc Edwards than he is to Roger Craig.

absolutely ZERO....ZEEERRRROOOOO chance Juice sees the field with a 1000 yard all purpose FB on the Roster...let alone a dude like Roger Craig on the roster.
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Dude's been here less than two seasons. Chill.

depends how you interpret the question, it's like saying Deion was our top CB, are you considering years of service time, or you are you just looking at the caliber of that one season,

you can stack the quality of CMCs 49er run against anybody
Fair point.

I'll take Gore based on body of work. For now.
Mccaffrey is the best running back to ever play for the 49ers. Gore is the greatest 49er running back to this point. That makes sense, I swear.
Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Mccaffrey is the best running back to ever play for the 49ers. Gore is the greatest 49er running back to this point. That makes sense, I swear.

It's tough because OJ probably deserves the nod for best player to ever have the jersey on period, but I'm with you overall.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Ideally, Seifert should've retired in '95 offseason, Mike Shanahan should've been promised the HC job late in '94 before teams could interview him, Niners DON'T trade up for JJ Stokes in the '95 draft and select Ray Lewis instead, and Mike Shanahan drafts Terrell Davis to the Niners in the 6th round of same said draft. Niners don't lose to Atlanta in the '95 season finale and avoid GB altogether, they beat the Cowboys again @ Candlestick and win Lombardi #6 against Pittsburg in January 1996. DC Pete Carroll and OC Steve Mariucci help the Niners complete the three peat in 1996 over the Patriots, the Niners 50th anniversary season.

If I may be so bold to add one line to this wish list? Bill Walsh drafts Tom Brady instead of Gio Carmazzi in the 3rd Round of the 2000 draft and the 49ers win seven more rings over the next 20-seasons. The End.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
If I may be so bold to add one line to this wish list? Bill Walsh drafts Tom Brady instead of Gio Carmazzi in the 3rd Round of the 2000 draft and the 49ers win seven more rings over the next 20-seasons. The End.

You aint winning any rings with Erickson, Nolan, and Singletary coaching. Maybe Mooch doesn't get fired I guess, but I'd bet otherwise.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
I guess you didn't see Roger Craig play? Wendell Tyler? I wasn't old enough to see Joe "The Jet" Perry play, but others tell me he was one of the greatest for his day.

CMC is clearly having a great season. One of the greatest as a matter of fact. But to annoint him as "the best to ever wear a 49er uniform" is a bit much. Craig has him beat in overall production and, most importantly, Super Bowl rings.

I'm not taking sides here but to the bolded :

1- SB rings are won by the team not an individual.

2- Craig has more career rushing yards and receiving yards but also has somewhere close to 700 more carries in his career and has played something like 4 more seasons. However CMC has him beat in career rushing TDs, receiving TDs and total TDs with far fewer carries.

OJ clears him

Not with the Niners lol. Bills OJ sure
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

As mentioned, it all depends on how you view the question. There's more room for interesting debate if we're just talking best at the position to ever wear the jersey. If it's about what they did for the team, to me it's way more clear cut.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

As mentioned, it all depends on how you view the question. There's more room for interesting debate if we're just talking best at the position to ever wear the jersey. If it's about what they did for the team, to me it's way more clear cut.

I think we all know who's the best dual threat RB we've had...

Brian Westbrook.
Wendell Tyler and Earl Cooper come mind.
Originally posted by Waterbear:
I think we all know who's the best dual threat RB we've had...

Brian Westbrook.

I was trying to think of all the obscure backups we've had past their prime, lol.
Share 49ersWebzone