LISTEN: Kansas City Week With Carrington Harrison →

There are 198 users in the forums

Is Christian McCaffrey the best Rb ever to wear a 9er uniform?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Christian McCaffrey the best Rb ever to wear a 9er uniform?

Originally posted by SteveWallacesHelmet:
Mccaffrey is the best running back to ever play for the 49ers. Gore is the greatest 49er running back to this point. That makes sense, I swear.

well....

You can only really talk about what they have done...at their best...for the 49ers....since CMC has only been here for a minute.

CMC is on pace for 2144 all purpose yards....even if you figure he gets pulled later in the season..in preparation for the playoffs....we are still talking about a 2000-2100ish yard back.

Peak 49ers
Craig (hb) 2036
Watters 1707
Garner 1789
Hearst 2105
Gore 2180

all 16 game seasons

CMC est, 2144

17 game season

My base mindset was to come in here and poo-poo on this CMC is the best evarrrrr mindset....but honestly.... yeah a serious maybe.

Honestly Gore was more of an 1200-1400 all purpose yard back. We remember peak gore and just the massive longevity....but CMC already has 3 seasons over 1800 yards and right now he is working on his 4th. Gore only had 1 season over 1600 yards...his 2180 yard season.

CMC could end up hurt with his injury history and we end up talking about who was better Hearst or CMC as a 49er....but as it stands....if CMC can stay healthy....yeah dude....maybe....maybe the best 49er ever...who knows. We have had some awesome talent at rb....including CMC....it all depends on how long CMC can do it.
I've seen a LOT of Niners RB's Ken Willard, Delvin Williams, et al. But, Roger Craig and especially Frank Gore stand out. Roger was instrumental in the 49ers winning 3 SB's and his running style (hyped by John Madden) was crazy! My wife, my brother and I got to see him run through the WHOLE Rams defense en route to a touchdown. One hell of a RB. Now, even though he didn't win a SB, Frank Gore will always be in my heart. He was a RB savant AND one hell of a blocker. If you watch him in the SB against the Ravens, you will see him taking on their NT and absofnlutely STONEWALL him! If DA Jim Harbaugh had given him the ball instead of throwing to Crabby, Frank would have killed anyone (including Ray Lewis, which would have been hilarious) in his way for the TD. Now, when CMC brings us that #6, he will definitely become a fond player in my memory
Roger Craig is my favorite all time 49er but I have to say, CMC is better. It hurts my ass to say it but they are very very close. Frank Gore is the best pure runner and if he didn't have constant 8-9 man boxes unlike Craig and CMC we would all be in agreement that Frank Gore is the best rb ever. He even had 60 catches his 2nd year I believe It's not Gores fault he didn't get thrown to much and faced heavy boxes his whole career
[ Edited by elguapo on Dec 13, 2023 at 8:10 PM ]
  • Giedi
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TD49ers:
Wendell Tyler and Earl Cooper come mind.

Agree, and of course a different era from today's fast break offenses. But Wendell had a very similar style of running to McCaffrey. Earl started off as a running back and then transitioned into a TE and was one hell of a TE in his own right.

As a side note McCaffrey is averaging 5.2 yards per carry this season. Up from 4.7 last year - that OLine definitely has improved despite losing McGlinchy.
CMC is the most talented RB that has played for us and is the best fit for Shanahan's system and the fact that he is doing this with a lot of playmakers around him is crazy.
Originally posted by NinerTy:
I've seen a LOT of Niners RB's Ken Willard, Delvin Williams, et al. But, Roger Craig and especially Frank Gore stand out. Roger was instrumental in the 49ers winning 3 SB's and his running style (hyped by John Madden) was crazy! My wife, my brother and I got to see him run through the WHOLE Rams defense en route to a touchdown. One hell of a RB. Now, even though he didn't win a SB, Frank Gore will always be in my heart. He was a RB savant AND one hell of a blocker. If you watch him in the SB against the Ravens, you will see him taking on their NT and absofnlutely STONEWALL him! If DA Jim Harbaugh had given him the ball instead of throwing to Crabby, Frank would have killed anyone (including Ray Lewis, which would have been hilarious) in his way for the TD. Now, when CMC brings us that #6, he will definitely become a fond player in my memory

I still have PTSD from that game. Frank gets us to near the goal line. Three straight passes by Kaep over Craptree's head

Originally posted by NinerTy:
Yes he would have, and it still ticks me off. Then did it again in Seattle in the NFCCG!!!!!!! Anyway you are absolutely correct
Originally posted by elguapo:
Roger Craig is my favorite all time 49er but I have to say, CMC is better. It hurts my ass to say it but they are very very close. Frank Gore is the best pure runner and if he didn't have constant 8-9 man boxes unlike Craig and CMC we would all be in agreement that Frank Gore is the best rb ever. He even had 60 catches his 2nd year I believe It's not Gores fault he didn't get thrown to much and faced heavy boxes his whole career
There's a reason the HOF has a 5 year waiting period. This whole discussion feels very prisoner of the moment.

I swear..I still kinda feel like the NFL is rigged cause of that Ravens SB and maybe some others lol..cause how the hell did we get so close to the goal line and not run Gore in? I mean. Kaep just threw it like Gore didn't even exist. How the hell? Worst.

Back to topic
Nobody has had the legs of Craig. He is still #1 but CMC is closing in.

OJ? Tbh..I forgot the guy was a Niner for a long time 😳 haha. I remember hearing about him as a player when I was a kid but over time, I just plumb forgot for a while lol. Good gosh, for whatever reason, I thought he was a Steeler at some point lolol. I don't know much about how he played in detail and really not interested looking up videos lol
[ Edited by Montana on Dec 14, 2023 at 12:20 AM ]
Originally posted by Montana:
I swear..I still kinda feel like the NFL is rigged cause of that Ravens SB and maybe some others lol..cause how the hell did we get so close to the goal line and not run Gore in? I mean. Kaep just threw it like Gore didn't even exist. How the hell? Worst.

Back to topic
Nobody has had the legs of Craig. He is still #1 but CMC is closing in.

OJ? Tbh..I forgot the guy was a Niner for a long time 😳 haha. I remember hearing about him as a player when I was a kid but over time, I just plumb forgot for a while lol. Good gosh, for whatever reason, I thought he was a Steeler at some point lolol. I don't know much about how he played in detail and really not interested looking up videos lol

OJ was only a 49er for 2 years and was completely washed by then.
Probably, but way too soon!
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
OJ was only a 49er for 2 years and was completely washed by then.

I didn't even know that. Lol. But I haven't really been too interested in googlin the guy much. I remember hearing his nickname when a kid,
along with "The Refrigerator", quite a bit.
Still early on McCaffrey - but if Gore had this much talent on offense for 6-7 years (and one of the best coaching staff in the game) - he'd be getting close to 2000 total yards consistently.

Love McCaffrey, Gore, and Craig. All were special but I give Gore the tie-breaker bc he played on some really really awful teams and was still elite.
Share 49ersWebzone