There are 237 users in the forums

🤔 Rest or Play vs Rams❓- Pregame Thread 2023 Season Wk 18 🐏💥

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🤔 Rest or Play vs Rams❓- Pregame Thread 2023 Season Wk 18 🐏💥

Originally posted by Giedi:
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by LenCat:
Originally posted by stonecold590:
2nd and 3rd stringers should play most of the game. It protects the starters from stupid injuries. But also gives our depth players much needed actual playtime against a team who is still jockeying for seeding for the final spot or a spot above. Nothing compares to actual game play reps.

Any word yet on whether McVay will start Stafford, Donald, etc.? it definitely seems like something he would do

They still need a win for the 6th seed otherwise GB gets it with a win, so they have something to play for. 7th seed goes to Dallas who is pretty tough at home.

True but *both* teams have their playoff births already locked up. So I think both teams want to go into the playoffs as healthy as possible.

Actually that's not true. If the Bears beat the Packers, then the Rams are the sixth seed, even if they lose. if the Packers win, and the Rams lose, they would fall to the seventh seed. Packers Bears game is opposite us so they won't know for sure What's what while playing.

Ultimately, it's just a matter of going to Detroit or Dallas. I'm just not sure McVay cares which one either way. In his mind, it's better to just be healthy. The same reason Stafford has never taken a preseason snap
Originally posted by Disp:
Originally posted by stonecold590:
2nd and 3rd stringers should play most of the game. It protects the starters from stupid injuries. But also gives our depth players much needed actual playtime against a team who is still jockeying for seeding for the final spot or a spot above. Nothing compares to actual game play reps.

Any word yet on whether McVay will start Stafford, Donald, etc.? it definitely seems like something he would do

They still need a win for the 6th seed otherwise GB gets it with a win, so they have something to play for. 7th seed goes to Dallas who is pretty tough at home.

And if they win, they then go to SF, and they know we've got their number.
Actually that's not true. If the Bears beat the Packers, then the Rams are the sixth seed, even if they lose. if the Packers win, and the Rams lose, they would fall to the seventh seed. Packers Bears game is opposite us so they won't know for sure What's what while playing.

Ultimately, it's just a matter of going to Detroit or Dallas. I'm just not sure McVay cares which one either way. In his mind, it's better to just be healthy. The same reason Stafford has never taken a preseason snap

Rams aren't going to care about that seeding difference and will prioritize rest. Betting line reflects it too.
Originally posted by miked1978:
I'd play starters a quarter and if they are injured in any way I'd let them sit the entire game.

Great dilemma to have!!!

Exactly this.

I want Purdy and starting offense to have 2-3 drives, and same with the starting defense.

Then package them up for the divisional round.

It would be awesome to see Samuel Darnold and a vanilla game plan take the Rams to the brink...
Originally posted by tatayoyo:
Do The Rams have anything to play for? I believe their place in the bracket is set…they'll probably be in the same logic as the niners: Shaw little, avoid injury and rest their player for the playoff…I think it's better for us that the Rams don't have to compete either.

This is why I'm kinda glad they beat the Giants.

If they lost, then there would be a lot of desperation this coming week and potentially more injury risk for SF.

I'd be very happy if the Rams starting defense, primarily Darnold took the week off.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by Sickaa:
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Rest CMC, Trent, Kittle, Bosa, Warner and Ward

This

Purdy also obviously. Darnold plays the whole game. Let him get some reps.

Purdy should play at least 1-2 drives before letting Darnold take over.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
This is why I'm kinda glad they beat the Giants.

If they lost, then there would be a lot of desperation this coming week and potentially more injury risk for SF.

I'd be very happy if the Rams starting defense, primarily Darnold took the week off.

You meant Donald, but it's hard to keep the great Sam Darnold off our minds. What a treat we have in front of us to witness him takeover!
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Good chance for Sam Darnold to impress another team for next season.

I wish we would've signed him for two seasons instead of just one
I wish we would've signed him for two seasons instead of just one

Think there's an outside chance we can bring him back. Don't think he's going to get an offer to be a starter and we'll see how much teams are willing to pay him as a 'premier' backup. I doubt we're going to want to spend a lot on the spot though… especially if Brock stays healthy through playoff.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Jan 1, 2024 at 1:04 PM ]
I vote rest the following:

Purdy, CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, Juice, Trent, Banks, McKivitz, Bosa, AA, Hargrave, Warner, Greenlaw, Ward, Lenoir, and Brown.

Players like CMC, AA, etc. who are actually injured would be inactive. All others would dress as second backups.

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I vote rest the following:

Purdy, CMC, Deebo, Aiyuk, Kittle, Juice, Trent, Banks, McKivitz, Bosa, AA, Hargrave, Warner, Greenlaw, Ward, Lenoir, and Brown.

Players like CMC, AA, etc. who are actually injured would be inactive. All others would dress as second backups.

Especially Kittle. He took a monster shot last game.
  • fip24
  • Veteran
Rest CMC, Trent, Ward, Fred and Bosa.
Brock plays the 1st quarter. 12-15 snaps for Deebo, Aiyuk, Dre, Hargrave, Demo, Juice &Kittle. No starter plays in 2nd half
  • Cosmo
Originally posted by fip24:
Rest CMC, Trent, Ward, Fred and Bosa.
Brock plays the 1st quarter. 12-15 snaps for Deebo, Aiyuk, Dre, Hargrave, Demo, Juice &Kittle. No starter plays in 2nd half

I like this.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Rest every starters seriously.
Why risk an injury?
How many injuries this team had for the last decade now?
This game means absolutely nothing. And usually Sean McVay uses reserves in Pre-Season. Stafford never took a pre-season snap IIRC.
Purdy should go visit his family in Florida.
Let Darnold start and see if he has really improved.
Both teams are gonna rest all the important players. Niners are the 1st seed and the Rams don't care about the 6th or 7th seed because they'll play the following week and health is way more important than that.

This game is gonna be the Backup Bowl I
Share 49ersWebzone