🤔 Rest or Play vs Rams❓- Pregame Thread 2023 Season Wk 18 🐏💥

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🤔 Rest or Play vs Rams❓- Pregame Thread 2023 Season Wk 18 🐏💥

Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:

This is awesome!

Bell, McCloud and Gray + #84 should be the WRs corps

Would need to find a way to open 2 roster spots. Conley would be cut for Mccloud, I know that much. They may just bring up Tay Martin again. They probably don't want to put Dwelley or anyone else on IR, so Gray may be the odd man still out for now.
Again you can't rest everyone. Key guys and a few injured guys yes. But some will probably have to play some snaps like it or not. Because you simply don't have enough roster spots on an NFL team to play all backups. To finish out the last game of the year.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Again you can't rest everyone. Key guys and a few injured guys yes. But some will probably have to play some snaps like it or not. Because you simply don't have enough roster spots on an NFL team to play all backups. To finish out the last game of the year.

It's a meaningless game for both teams so I'm sure they each will sit the starters before the half.
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

It's a meaningless game for both teams so I'm sure they each will sit the starters before the half.

I hope so too and any injured guys and too valuable to lose guys.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by Cisco0623:
He will play everyone who has zero health issues. I don't expect Mcaffrey much if at all next week. Trent Williams may sit as well. Otherwise everyone else is playing at least half the game.

This. I remember the Colts and Chargers doing that s**t, resting the whole last game and then also having the bye and then coming out absolutely flat in their next game after that. I think you have to play most of their starters but guys like McCaffrey should be allowed to rest and take all the time they need to get right.

I agree. It's probably going to be a mixed approach. I've seen some saying to rest all the starters, but we don't have the roster numbers to do that even if we wanted too. It's highly likely that guys like McCaffrey, Trent, Armstead rest. Guys like Purdy, Deebo, George, and Hargrave may rest, but also might at least play part of the game.
  • Cosmo
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:

I hope so too and any injured guys and too valuable to lose guys.

The team clearly needs the rest. Wrapping up the 1 seed a week early is going to prove so valuable to guys like TW, CMC and JJ. Hopefully they come out of this bye as rejuvenated as they did during the season.
Suit up Frank Gore Sr. and give him a proper send off….also eligible him for a ring.
I think the rest or play decision hinges on what the rams do. We don't want to play Trent period. If Trent sits we don't want Purdy going against Aaron Donald with a backup LT. If the rams sit all their starters then getting first team work for anybody probably doesn't offer much value. If the rams only sit a couple of key starters then we probably mirror that approach for a portion of the game.
Any word on what the Rams will do? They could technically be the 7 seed instead of the 6 seed if they lose and Green Bay wins, so they technically have a tiny bit more to play for than we do, but I feel like they would rather just turn this into a bye, no? Is possibly playing Detroit instead of Dallas in round 1 really worth it?
[ Edited by Fanaticofnfl on Jan 2, 2024 at 8:14 AM ]
Suit up Frank Gore Sr. and give him a proper send off….also eligible him for a ring.

I wish we could give rings to Staley, Willis, and Frank

Originally posted by Youngone:

We actually can....rings aren't even football players, let alone active ones.

To me, those 3 above deserve rings if we won it all this year.
Deebo talking like he wants to play and I get it...but we all know the smart thing is to rest up.

I trust this team not to get rusty and come out ready to rock.

Hopefully Kyle is smart about it - looks like some guys aren't playing close to 100% and it's shown up lately whether Trent, Kittle, Greenlaw and even Fred. Sit them and let the depth show what they can do.

Play it like week 2 preseason if you want but be REALLY smart about it. Nothing to gain and a lot of risk not worth taking.
I've been going out of my mind trying to figure out if the Rams really wanna win this game or not. I think ultimately they play hard to win because they probably don't want the prospect of having to play at Dallas. Most likely Detroit is 3 even though it's still undetermined. I think DET would rather play GB instead of the Rams, of course it probably doesn't matter to them since they'll be at home. However, Goff would love to stick it to the Rams except they have no control over who they face. LA most likely prefers to face the Eagles since they've sucked ass for about a month now. But that seems quite unlikely since Philly is almost for sure not getting 3. They could still be 2 though if they win and Dallas loses. If that happens Rams would wanna lose so they face Eagles as the 7. The real point is 49ers absolutely don't care about trying to win. Could Kyle wanna win just to spite McVay? I guess but that's more the Dan Campbell type mentality which Kyle is pretty much the exact opposite. Kyle has more sense than to risk unnecessary wear and tear on some of his players just for the sake of winning an entirely meaningless game. Ultimately I believe LA would rather win, but maybe not because for them facing Detroit or Dallas is about the same. Dallas is a little shorter trip but not my much so that probably doesn't really affect it. My only reason for wanting to win is simply 13–4 looks better than 12–5. Otherwise I don't give a rat's ass. I think Kyle will play this basically like a dress rehearsal preseason game. That's my best guess. The main difference being you don't have 80-some odd players at your disposal.

This
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by Youngone:

We actually can....rings aren't even football players, let alone active ones.

To me, those 3 above deserve rings if we won it all this year.

Frank Gore currently works for the organization, so he would get a ring 👀
[ Edited by RiceOwensStokes on Jan 2, 2024 at 12:05 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone