There are 271 users in the forums

🤔 Rest or Play vs Rams❓- Pregame Thread 2023 Season Wk 18 🐏💥

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🤔 Rest or Play vs Rams❓- Pregame Thread 2023 Season Wk 18 🐏💥

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Wait people think sitting Brock is a BAD thing!?

Who said that?

Nobody did, some are just compelled to do the old, "I'm smarter than every other fan" post
Since they can't lose their #1 seed with a loss, I would start as many back-ups as possible, just to give them some live, in game experience. The fact that it's the final game before the playoffs might be some added incentive for them to show what they can do to help the team end the regular season on a winning note. With CMC out we'll finally get a chance to see more of Mitchell and Mason. I'd like to see that rookie TE as well, if he's still on the 53. Would also really like to see Luter and those two rookie LB's play.

Yeah. I do. Laugh away. I am surprised Shanahan is doing this. It is something that Bill Walsh never did. And before you tell me it was a different era, yada, yada, yada, Walsh won four Super Bowls. He did this by not resting his starters. He didn't feel they would as sharp on game day with the long rest. I'm really surprised that Shanahan is doing this, but he's the guy. So, rest Brock gets.
This is my point

Originally posted by Patton:
Originally posted by RabidNiner:
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Sounds like McVay will be resting his starters

That shouldn't surprise anyone considering how McVay has traditionally treated the preseason. He doesn't believe playing in actual games is required to be sharp.

Well, he does have a Super Bowl Championship to show for it.

Yeah, and the year he got his SB he played his starters the final week.

Lol, he had no choice.

Why not? They lost it anyway
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,800 for pdc20.
McVay will treat this game as a pre-season game I think.
I think he doesn't care at all about this game so he will rest probably all his stars, at least Stafford, Kupp and Donald I think. McVay is the type of guy that doesn't fear either Detroit or Dallas.

I understand Kyle's pov here. I think he knows very well how it's difficult to rest a team for three weeks. I'm sure Mike talked to him about the 1996/1997 season and what happened to the Broncos in the same situation.
That being said, if I was the coach, I would rest every starters, I would even forfeit the game if necessary. I know rust is a big factor but it's a team that had so many injuries for years now. I wouldn't take any risks. But I'm not the coach.
I'm happy that Purdy won't play. I think he needs the rest not only physically but also mentally. Being the Niners QB can be exhausting at time and he's still a young player.
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersRing:
Originally posted by RiceOwensStokes:
Sounds like McVay will be resting his starters

That shouldn't surprise anyone considering how McVay has traditionally treated the preseason. He doesn't believe playing in actual games is required to be sharp.

Well, he does have a Super Bowl Championship to show for it.

Yeah, and the year he got his SB he played his starters the final week.

Lol, he had no choice.

Why not? They lost it anyway

Because they had a chance to have the first seed.
If McVay could have sit his guys, even in a game against the Niners, he would have.
Originally posted by billbird2111:

Yeah. I do. Laugh away. I am surprised Shanahan is doing this. It is something that Bill Walsh never did. And before you tell me it was a different era, yada, yada, yada, Walsh won four Super Bowls. He did this by not resting his starters. He didn't feel they would as sharp on game day with the long rest. I'm really surprised that Shanahan is doing this, but he's the guy. So, rest Brock gets.

They also didn't know what CTE was back then lol
Originally posted by pdc20:
McVay will treat this game as a pre-season game I think.
I think he doesn't care at all about this game so he will rest probably all his stars, at least Stafford, Kupp and Donald I think. McVay is the type of guy that doesn't fear either Detroit or Dallas.

I understand Kyle's pov here. I think he knows very well how it's difficult to rest a team for three weeks. I'm sure Mike talked to him about the 1996/1997 season and what happened to the Broncos in the same situation.
That being said, if I was the coach, I would rest every starters, I would even forfeit the game if necessary. I know rust is a big factor but it's a team that had so many injuries for years now. I wouldn't take any risks. But I'm not the coach.
I'm happy that Purdy won't play. I think he needs the rest not only physically but also mentally. Being the Niners QB can be exhausting at time and he's still a young player.

I think kyle believes he will be seeing the Rams in two weeks as well…so this game is gonna be about as vanilla as it gets
I think kyle believes he will be seeing the Rams in two weeks as well…so this game is gonna be about as vanilla as it gets

Mason about to run for tree fiddy.

Originally posted by 49ers81:
Since they can't lose their #1 seed with a loss, I would start as many back-ups as possible, just to give them some live, in game experience.

WHY? Because you want to see them in a playoff game? You want them playing in the biggest game of the year? I don't. They are backups for a reason. They are not as good as the front-line guys, and no amount of playing time is going to change anything.

I do realize that each situation, and each season, is unique. I would just hate to see Brock Purdy attempting to shake off the rust that might accumulate with three weeks of rest in the first playoff game. Nothing changes in that game. It's still a 60-minute contest. Brock doesn't get an extra quarter to "shake off the rust" or "work out the kinks." It's "game on" from the opening whistle.
Originally posted by 49erfaninAZ:
Good we don't need an injured QB again. Smart move

We don't need an injured LT, MLB, OLB, TE, WR1 2 & 3, DB, RB2 either.

And you can't have them sit for 3 weeks either.

I get what you're saying, but I think the Niners are the type of team that will thrive from all that rest. They'll come out ready to roll
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:

Mason about to run for tree fiddy.

I wonder if Elijah Mitchell will even play in this game, given how fresh and good he looked against the Redskins. Did anyone notice any drop off in the 49er running game after CMC left and Mitchell took over? I didn't. Mitchell was on a tear in that game. He looked like the starting back he was two seasons earlier.

That said, I love watching Mason run that football. Just as much as you probably do. I do wonder if the team will elevate Ty Davis-Price off the PS.
What happened to Gipson?
Originally posted by billbird2111:

as long as brock is practicing but not playing then there shouldnt be any rust, why would you risk injury in a completely meaningless game?
Share 49ersWebzone