There are 283 users in the forums

🤔 Rest or Play vs Rams❓- Pregame Thread 2023 Season Wk 18 🐏💥

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🤔 Rest or Play vs Rams❓- Pregame Thread 2023 Season Wk 18 🐏💥

• Ruixx
  • Veteran
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Wait people think sitting Brock is a BAD thing!?

Yeah. I do. Laugh away. I am surprised Shanahan is doing this. It is something that Bill Walsh never did. And before you tell me it was a different era, yada, yada, yada, Walsh won four Super Bowls. He did this by not resting his starters. He didn't feel they would as sharp on game day with the long rest. I'm really surprised that Shanahan is doing this, but he's the guy. So, rest Brock gets.

You say that now but what if Brock did play and went down in a meaningless game? This forum would be screaming for Kyle's head.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by NYniner85:
I think kyle believes he will be seeing the Rams in two weeks as well…so this game is gonna be about as vanilla as it gets

Mason about to run for tree fiddy.

I wonder if Elijah Mitchell will even play in this game, given how fresh and good he looked against the Redskins. Did anyone notice any drop off in the 49er running game after CMC left and Mitchell took over? I didn't. Mitchell was on a tear in that game. He looked like the starting back he was two seasons earlier.

That said, I love watching Mason run that football. Just as much as you probably do. I do wonder if the team will elevate Ty Davis-Price off the PS.

Yeah we aught to hang onto his healthiness as much as possible, he looked the best he has in 2 GD years.

Yeah. I do. Laugh away. I am surprised Shanahan is doing this. It is something that Bill Walsh never did. And before you tell me it was a different era, yada, yada, yada, Walsh won four Super Bowls. He did this by not resting his starters. He didn't feel they would as sharp on game day with the long rest. I'm really surprised that Shanahan is doing this, but he's the guy. So, rest Brock gets.

If they didn't have the bye I wouldn't mind sitting so many players but 3 weeks between game action is a long time. For injured payers it's great but for others it can be detrimental. I've seen too many wildcard teams that need to play hard to stay alive come in and beat a top seed who was rested. These players are so finely tuned that tey can lose the edge very easily.

There is no right or wrong way to treat a game like this when nothing is at stake. If they go on and reach the SB then people will say the rest helped. If they lose that first game it will be because they were flat. I'm not a fan of not playing someone because you fear injury. It's just like pre season. Players can get hurt in a meaningless game but they're just as likely to get hurt in a big game. Look what happened in the NFC championship game last year. Purdy got hurt in the first sequence. You can't play football scared.
In season practice is NOT the same as playing football.

When they play like s**t in 3 weeks because they haven't played football…what will your thoughts be then?

im not saying play them all game. You have to roster a full team and can only promote two PS guys. You want to cut guys lol?

The only guy I see not playing from the OL is Trent. The rest of the dudes will more than likely play.

Play like s**t? What, are these 8th grade kids going through puberty or are they grown ass men that are professionals that have been doing this for years?

I'd HAPPILY risk a first half of rusty play instead of risking being eliminated in the first game because a key player is done for the season because he got some fluke injury he should not have been exposed to.

This team has proven when 💯 healthy and fresh, they are damn near unbeatable, but when they are even one player short (in multiple areas) they can come up short.

Name a better team or a better opportunity this franchise has had to win a SB in the past 31 years???

Remind me how much like "s**t" they played on opening day after several of the main guys either didn't play or played very limited snaps during preseason…..

Rest and zero exposure to injuries will ONLY increase this teams chances of winning a Super Bowl.
[ Edited by Patton on Jan 3, 2024 at 12:57 PM ]
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ruixx:

You say that now but what if Brock did play and went down in a meaningless game? This forum would be screaming for Kyle's head.

Mike McDaniel lost Bradley Chubb for 6 months at least because he thought it was a good idea to let him play at the end of an already decided game against the Ravens.
This sport is dangerous.
Never forget what happened in the NFCCG.
Good on Kyle for resting Purdy.
  • Ruixx
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ers81:
Since they can't lose their #1 seed with a loss, I would start as many back-ups as possible, just to give them some live, in game experience.

WHY? Because you want to see them in a playoff game? You want them playing in the biggest game of the year? I don't. They are backups for a reason. They are not as good as the front-line guys, and no amount of playing time is going to change anything.

I do realize that each situation, and each season, is unique. I would just hate to see Brock Purdy attempting to shake off the rust that might accumulate with three weeks of rest in the first playoff game. Nothing changes in that game. It's still a 60-minute contest. Brock doesn't get an extra quarter to "shake off the rust" or "work out the kinks." It's "game on" from the opening whistle.

This is an insane post just for the fact that you don't believe it is a good thing for back-ups to get reps. Back-ups get called up to play all the time. Injuries to starters, starters not playing to their potential, etc. If you recall, BROCK WAS A BACK-UP at one point as was Brown, look at the shuffling o-line for eff's sake.
What an absolutely crazy thing to post esp. as a Niners fan and knowing the injury history and the next man up mentally that has basically been the team's mantra for the past few years.
Originally posted by Patton:

Rest and zero exposure to injuries will ONLY increase this teams chances of winning a Super Bowl.

I hope you're right. I really do. I just do not agree with this assessment.
Since they can't lose their #1 seed with a loss, I would start as many back-ups as possible, just to give them some live, in game experience.

WHY? Because you want to see them in a playoff game? You want them playing in the biggest game of the year? I don't. They are backups for a reason. They are not as good as the front-line guys, and no amount of playing time is going to change anything.

I do realize that each situation, and each season, is unique. I would just hate to see Brock Purdy attempting to shake off the rust that might accumulate with three weeks of rest in the first playoff game. Nothing changes in that game. It's still a 60-minute contest. Brock doesn't get an extra quarter to "shake off the rust" or "work out the kinks." It's "game on" from the opening whistle.

This is an insane post just for the fact that you don't believe it is a good thing for back-ups to get reps. Back-ups get called up to play all the time. Injuries to starters, starters not playing to their potential, etc. If you recall, BROCK WAS A BACK-UP at one point as was Brown, look at the shuffling o-line for eff's sake.
What an absolutely crazy thing to post esp. as a Niners fan and knowing the injury history and the next man up mentally that has basically been the team's mantra for the past few years.

Are you, perchance, calling me INSANE? What are you? My ex-wife?

Kyle is going to be his own undoing. No good sense at all.

Huh? Did McVay say anyone else was sitting? You can't have dudes sit out almost 3 weeks of football and be ready to go for the playoffs. You also need fill a roster to play the damn game

Who said sit for 3 weeks? These guys will be practicing no matter what.
When just one single starter goes down, what will your thoughts be then?

In season practice is NOT the same as playing football.

When they play like s**t in 3 weeks because they haven't played football…what will your thoughts be then?

im not saying play them all game. You have to roster a full team and can only promote two PS guys. You want to cut guys lol?

The only guy I see not playing from the OL is Trent. The rest of the dudes will more than likely play.

Brock's arm is going to love the 3 weeks between games, I hope he comes out slinging it!
  • pdc20
  • Veteran
I think kyle believes he will be seeing the Rams in two weeks as well…so this game is gonna be about as vanilla as it gets

The Rams are dangerous.
Stafford is playing his best football right now. They're stacked playmakers wise. Aaron Donald is still Aaron Donald. Guys like Kobie Turner and Baron Young are big factors defensively. Ernest Jones is a good LB.
I mean, Dallas and Detroit are tough teams to play but the Rams have starpower and superior coaching both offensively and defensively.

• Ruixx
  • Veteran

Are you, perchance, calling me INSANE? What are you? My ex-wife?

That poor woman.
  • Crown
  • Hall of Fame
BP played well against Steelers after not playing for months…..
Originally posted by pdc20:

The Rams are dangerous.
Stafford is playing his best football right now. They're stacked playmakers wise. Aaron Donald is still Aaron Donald. Guys like Kobie Turner and Baron Young are big factors defensively. Ernest Jones is a good LB.
I mean, Dallas and Detroit are tough teams to play but the Rams have starpower and superior coaching both offensively and defensively.

You're right, but we all know that Stafford's kryptonite is getting hit a few times by a solid pass rush. All of a sudden, Stafford starts hearing footsteps and missing passes that he had been hitting on with Exlax-like regularity earlier.
I just listened to Kyle's presser, I know everybody's got their own idea about who should play or not play or whatever the hell it is, but it's quite apparent it's not nearly as simple as you might think. Sounds pretty much like a glorified preseason game minus all the players who would come in before HT because they don't exist numbers-wise. I'm perfectly fine with Brock not playing one single f**king snap. Oh heaven forbid he sustained anything that put him out the entire playoffs. That would be an utter disaster. Remember last week when Sam needed to throw a pass trying to get a first down so they could just do V formation? Then he does this stupid derp thing where the ball slips in his hand, and he has to tuck it almost fumbling the damn thing, basically getting sacked which was better than the alternative. I was just like holy s**t if Brock had to miss any significant time in the playoffs we're f**ked.

I hope you're right. I really do. I just do not agree with this assessment.

I'm not trying to be right, I'm just saying this based on what we have seen from this team, this year.
They're a great team, but they are one injury away from being a side-note, just like we all saw last year.

This roster, these guys, this coaching staff and this management will never be this close to a title like this year again (in SF) let's not blow it by making an unnecessary mistake and taking unnecessary risks.

Let's close the deal and go get #6
Share 49ersWebzone