There are 237 users in the forums

🤔 Rest or Play vs Rams❓- Pregame Thread 2023 Season Wk 18 🐏💥

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🤔 Rest or Play vs Rams❓- Pregame Thread 2023 Season Wk 18 🐏💥

Originally posted by billbird2111:
Let's hope that Steve Young is wrong then. For every week a QB takes off, according to Young, it takes half of football to get him back up to game speed. No chest puffing.

Brock's first half stats in Jacksonville after a week off:

11/16 121 yards 1 TD 0 INT 7.56 YPA.

Team scored 13 points. Three drives were killed by penalties (one of which was Brock's).
So we wanted the #1 seed, now we should be worried about #1 seed?
Go 49ers!
Originally posted by Montana:

Always have to be worried about something.
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
At this time of the year, routine is already established.

the only issue with the time between games would be younger players pushing it too hard in practice

Routine is routine because you do it everyday. When that changes it's not a routine anymore.
Originally posted by SlipAndSlideBosa:
Originally posted by Montana:

Always have to be worried about something.

Who's worried? People are just debating rest vs rust.

IMO there's a fine line and 3 weeks is pretty substantial.
  • Cosmo
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
Let's hope that Steve Young is wrong then. For every week a QB takes off, according to Young, it takes half of football to get him back up to game speed. No chest puffing.

Brock's first half stats in Jacksonville after a week off:

11/16 121 yards 1 TD 0 INT 7.56 YPA.

Team scored 13 points. Three drives were killed by penalties (one of which was Brock's).

I'll raise you the Miami game. All he knew was time off prior to that, hadn't practiced with the 1st team, but was instantly the best QB on the roster. Or we could play the 1st preseason game for him this season, adding in the fact he hadn't had any action prior to because of his surgery. I don't think there would be any issues on Brock alone, but maybe time off could affect his chemistry with the receivers?
I am all for resting the holy trinity; Brock, CMC & Trent. Everyone else should see atleast a quarter if not a half of play.
[ Edited by YACBros85 on Jan 4, 2024 at 5:55 AM ]
The question here is not "rest or rust". It's "RISK of rust vs RISK of injury/insufficient recovery".

Nobody says that rust is never a risk. In any sport, taking time off can throw teams off track. See the problems the Braves & Dodgers have had in the first two years of the new playoff system. And that's for a series too, not a one off game like in football. Teams can and do come out flat in the playoffs, like we did in 87 or Baltimore in 19 or Tennessee a few years further back (the one year when Haynesworth was good). Not all do though, and in some cases (e. g the Chargers last year) it's possible to picknup a catastrophic injury in a last meaningless game.

Even if teams play "low intensity" (and how can you play low intensity tackle football?) they can lose players to injury, often noncontact. I'm a Phillies fan in baseball (sorry, I lived in Philly as a lad) and this year we lost Hoskins to an ACL in the last preseason game. I'm old enough to remember Ki-Jana Carter's first preseason carry which ruined his career as well as the Bengals' plans.

With our rotten injury luck in the past, do we really want to risk anything like that? And it doesn't need to be something as final as an ACL or Achilles or pectoral or biceps. A stupid hamstring takes weeks to clear up. Ditto a sprain or a turf toe. How difficult is it to crack a rib even in "low intensity" play when you are have insanely fast 250-300 lb behemoths running all around you? All it takes is a stumble.

Obviously we need to dress 46 or whatever it is with the practice squad elevations. We can't behave like we would in preseason as we don't have the numbers. Also, substitutes are not "scrubs" (certainly not with the talent level of this team) and they are also important ST players or package contributors. Some stars will dress and some will need to get some reps. Those who shouldn't see ANY action are those whose play style leads to a lot of wear and tear (Deebo), or whose position is already full of injuries (so, Mooney Ward should not come anywhere near the field).
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I'm not worried about rust because we have such a great group of guys. A lot of vets who've been on this situation before and know what they need to do. They'll do a good job getting the other guys right.

I think it's smart to have a lot of our normal starters practice all week, keep 'em in their routine and locked in, but they'll all mainly be pulled by halftime.

a lot of the guys who we will be playing, will be playing for a lot. Darnold has a lot on the line. The rookies can show a lot. We have a handful of guys on 1 year deals who have the opportunity to get a lot of reps. We also have a lot of young WRs who may finally have a chance to play.

so I think it's going to all balance out right. I just hope Mooney gets a lot of rest (groin), trent (old vet), greenlaw (always banged up), CMC (not playing), hargrave (dinged up). There are more - we have a lot of guys with nagging injuries. Get them fresh going into the bye. I think we will take care of business, I trust our vets.

Missing a game is usually associated with injury, and therefore missing practice too. Brock is going to split practice reps w Sam. Next week, he'll get them all. No worries, mate.
[ Edited by BOI49er on Jan 4, 2024 at 6:46 AM ]
Apparently Trent Williams is going to play Sunday. If Trent gets injured, this season is a wrap. They might as well book their tickets to Cabo Sunday afternoon.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
I am all for resting the holy trinity; Brock, CMC & Trent. Everyone else should see atleast a quarter if not a half of play.

as long as Moore clears concussion protocol, I'm assuming Trent is out (still likely he is regardless) CMC is already out and couldn't play regardless.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

I'm not worried about rust because we have such a great group of guys. A lot of vets who've been on this situation before and know what they need to do. They'll do a good job getting the other guys right.

I think it's smart to have a lot of our normal starters practice all week, keep 'em in their routine and locked in, but they'll all mainly be pulled by halftime.

a lot of the guys who we will be playing, will be playing for a lot. Darnold has a lot on the line. The rookies can show a lot. We have a handful of guys on 1 year deals who have the opportunity to get a lot of reps. We also have a lot of young WRs who may finally have a chance to play.

so I think it's going to all balance out right. I just hope Mooney gets a lot of rest (groin), trent (old vet), greenlaw (always banged up), CMC (not playing), hargrave (dinged up). There are more - we have a lot of guys with nagging injuries. Get them fresh going into the bye. I think we will take care of business, I trust our vets.

3 weeks of not playing football is a long time, doesn't matter who we're talking about. Steve young talked about it. Routine is important, especially this time of the year.

im all for giving guys meaningful rest, especially guys who are truly banged up….They have no business suiting up. Problem is we got A LOT of hurt guys that can't play anyway, so you gotta have those other starters suit up to have a full team. We can't active all the PS quads.

I don't think kyle is gonna toss out all his starters for a full 4QRs. McVay is in the same boat, he's gonna tell his guys this game means nothing, so let's not get insane. Preseason like football.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 4, 2024 at 8:45 AM ]
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Apparently Trent Williams is going to play Sunday. If Trent gets injured, this season is a wrap. They might as well book their tickets to Cabo Sunday afternoon.

If Moore clears concussion protocol, Williams isn't suiting up
Share 49ersWebzone