49ers explode for 21-point third quarter, then hold on late to take 30-24 win over Cowboys →

There are 337 users in the forums

🤔 Rest or Play vs Rams❓- Pregame Thread 2023 Season Wk 18 🐏💥

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🤔 Rest or Play vs Rams❓- Pregame Thread 2023 Season Wk 18 🐏💥

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Wait people think sitting Brock is a BAD thing!?

These are the same people who still don't see Brock as a FQB. Kyle sees things differently. I'll go with Kyle's opinion.
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:

These are the same people who still don't see Brock as a FQB. Kyle sees things differently. I'll go with Kyle's opinion.

If Kyle doesn't think he needs the reps then I'm good. Let's get Darnold some reps in case another nightmare scenario happens where we need him.
Originally posted by Youngone:
Originally posted by BleedsRedNGold:

If Kyle doesn't think he needs the reps then I'm good. Let's get Darnold some reps in case another nightmare scenario happens where we need him.

If a nightmare scenario happens we need to just jump to Allen 😎
Originally posted by corona55569:
What's going to happen when the NFL expands to 18 weeks ? Damn near a month off.

lol screw integrity, theres money to be made
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by corona55569:
What's going to happen when the NFL expands to 18 weeks ? Damn near a month off.

More games makes it so clinching playoffs and seeds also takes longer. Math

ya if there was one more game we wouldnt have clinched yet lol
I want to beat the rams because that will make them the 7 and I think the rams beat dallas
  • Disp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
I want to beat the rams because that will make them the 7 and I think the rams beat dallas

Dallas is real tough at home this season. With that said, I don't see anyone but the Rams or Lions giving them a run for their money at their stadium. Maybe Eagles because they're division rivals.
I assume the Rams would not be sitting anyone if we didn't have the #1 seed already locked up and we needed to win.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by genus49:
He can't?

Nacua as good as he's been has

16 games played 154 targets 101 receptions 1445 yards 5 TDs 14.3 YPR

Aiyuk
15 games played 101 targets 72 receptions 1317 yards 7 TDs 18.3 YPR

128 more yards with 1 more game played, 2 less TDs and averaging a whole 4 yards per reception less than Aiyuk?

Larger YPR is not necessarily an argument for a better season. 30 plus receptions goes along way to controlling the ball on the offense. He did that in a worse offense (especially for the first half of the season).

That said, I would have voted in Aiyuk over Puka. He just doesn't have an open and shut case. Argument could be made for either.

Larger YPR is not always an argument for a better season. When the difference is 128 yards in one extra game played while having less TDs and the higher YPR guy isn't someone who has less than 50 receptions...then it's definitely confirmation of a better season.

Aiyuk had to share the targets and his impact with his receptions was big time. I believe a large chunk of them went for first downs. I don't want to take anything away from Nacua given he's a rookie but 4 YPR is BIG.
Originally posted by genus49:
Larger YPR is not always an argument for a better season. When the difference is 128 yards in one extra game played while having less TDs and the higher YPR guy isn't someone who has less than 50 receptions...then it's definitely confirmation of a better season.

Aiyuk had to share the targets and his impact with his receptions was big time. I believe a large chunk of them went for first downs. I don't want to take anything away from Nacua given he's a rookie but 4 YPR is BIG.

That's true but it also represents the fact that there are multiple elite playmakers on the team that command attention, and that can ease the job of each of them. Puka was an absolute machine when the Rams didn't have Kyren established and Cooper was missing time. He dominated as a possession receiver and also made big time plays in key moments. He's deserving. So is Aiyuk.

Originally posted by NYniner85:
Originally posted by CatchMaster80:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I think at this point, it's more important for the guys to participate in practices like there's a game every week than being in the game. Keep mentally football sharp and conditioning their bodies.

The problem is practices aren't anything like actual games. They don't tackle and that's been an issue for this team recently. There's about a 4% chance of a player getting injured in a game which isn't much different than it is for practice. The severity of the injury is probably likely to be a little worse for game injuries.

I couldn't find any numbers for this but I suspect that the number of teams that lose their edge after a long layoff is pretty high. These guys are finely tuned and it doesn't take a lot to lose that edge. The timing between receivers and the QB can be replicated somewhat in practice but tackling and blocking which are t the heart of football aren't the same as they are in actual games. I said this before but I'm just as concerned about them being flat for the first game as I am about a player getting hurt in the Rams game.

Rest the injured guys. Play the others for at least half the game. Two weeks is a long time between games. Three weeks is an eternity.

Bingo…and game plan accordingly. No Deebo runs up the gut. No pounding for YAC. Realize there's more than this game.

then toss in the backups and let them get some meaningful snaps because we will need everyone to take it all the way!

You're dreaming if you think Kyle won't have someone important getting smashed by 2-3 dts on at least 5 plays Sunday
Originally posted by NYniner85:
3 weeks of not playing football is a long time, doesn't matter who we're talking about. Steve young talked about it. Routine is important, especially this time of the year.

im all for giving guys meaningful rest, especially guys who are truly banged up….They have no business suiting up. Problem is we got A LOT of hurt guys that can't play anyway, so you gotta have those other starters suit up to have a full team. We can't active all the PS quads.

I don't think kyle is gonna toss out all his starters for a full 4QRs. McVay is in the same boat, he's gonna tell his guys this game means nothing, so let's not get insane. Preseason like football.

I would hope the fact that neither team is taking it seriously means we probably won't see high risk for injuries.

Of course it's football and freak injuries do happen, but doubtful Trent or even Brock gets hurt in a meaningless game.
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
I would hope the fact that neither team is taking it seriously means we probably won't see high risk for injuries.

Of course it's football and freak injuries do happen, but doubtful Trent or even Brock gets hurt in a meaningless game.

Can promise Brock won't get hurt this game, lol. There seems to be a possibility that Trent will play, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:

Can promise Brock won't get hurt this game, lol. There seems to be a possibility that Trent will play, but I'll believe it when I see it.

If Trent does play. I hope its no more than a few series. He is too pivotal to our SB aspirations. I'd rather have him a little rusty in the divisional round than not at all.
Originally posted by YACBros85:
If Trent does play. I hope its no more than a few series. He is too pivotal to our SB aspirations. I'd rather have him a little rusty in the divisional round than not at all.

Agree.
Share 49ersWebzone