There are 552 users in the forums

🤔 Rest or Play vs Rams❓- Pregame Thread 2023 Season Wk 18 🐏💥

Shop Find 49ers gear online

🤔 Rest or Play vs Rams❓- Pregame Thread 2023 Season Wk 18 🐏💥

Originally posted by 4ML:
Jed saving up for that Purdy contract in 2 years.

its in dc bud lol
Play certain starters for a half. Purdy should not play a snap.
Originally posted by lamontb:
Play certain starters for a half. Purdy should not play a snap.

I was gonna say that it'd be nice to have Purdy play a series, but then I thought about how limited of a training camp/preseason he got, and yet was still able to perform at a high level in Week 1 this year.

I wonder if the "ring rust" idea in these situations may apply more to offensive/defensive line play, and tackling.
[ Edited by Wubbie on Dec 31, 2023 at 4:00 PM ]
In 1994, the 49ers had the #1 wrapped up, and the last game of the season, the starters played the 1st half, but it was a heavy dose of run run run run. Then Grbac and the 2nd unit played the 2nd half.

Kyle is probably going to call a conservative game plan. Anyone who is dinged up won't play.
[ Edited by IrishCrnjo on Dec 31, 2023 at 4:14 PM ]
Play a half. Rest guys that are hurting. I'm more interested in our ability to execute consistently. Field clean punts, line calls to be correct, proper angles, and textbook tackling. I wanna see guys rest, us play a clean game, and win.
Rest as many as you can and the key guys. But you just can't fill out a roster without playing some guys. So believe it or not some will have to play like it or not.
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by thl408:
What a nice problem to have. imo
Double bye weeks for: Trent, CMC, Kittle, Hargrave.
Beat the Rams with the rest of the starters playing half the game.

Yep, all we need to do is play enough to stay in rhythm and then let the non-MASH unit play the rest.

A lot of non-starters have knicks and bruises as well so spread the reps around.

Two full weeks of not seeing game speed this late in the season is a lot. Whichever team the 49ers play in round 2 will be jacked up and ready to go. This team already seems to start slow, for the most part. I think it's important the 'healthy' starters play half the Rams game.

Again tho. With rest (i.e., not playing),...just wanna emphasize that it'll be 3 weeks instead of 2....

[ Edited by random49er on Dec 31, 2023 at 4:25 PM ]
Treat it like a 3rd preseason game. A drive or 2 and get'm out
Rams just clinched a wild card spot. 6th or 7th seed. Could mean that Rams also rest more players than usual.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Treat it like a polished preseason game. Just have some of the starters go through the motions. Put together some drives, score some points. Then hand it over to Darnold and have him play legit ball. We've seen that anything can happen in the playoffs. We need to see what Darnold has with his arm so let him play the game to win and hopefully it's good enough to stir a mini QB controversy (for media hacks whereas for us we can go into the playoffs knowing we have a solid 1-2 at QB)

Rest as many starters as possible. This is a battle-tested veteran club. No need to risk injury because you KNOW it'll happen.

Besides, it gives the backups real snaps just in case they are needed in the playoffs.
[ Edited by NCommand on Dec 31, 2023 at 4:31 PM ]
Originally posted by Stevec9932:
Treat it like a 3rd preseason game. A drive or 2 and get'm out
This exactly. Let all players hurt or dinged up rest and play the starters a couple drives. Then pull as many as you can.
Originally posted by captveg:
Rams just clinched a wild card spot. 6th or 7th seed. Could mean that Rams also rest more players than usual.

Can't imagine they won't rest players as well.
Originally posted by SmokeyJoe:
Originally posted by captveg:

Can't imagine they won't rest players as well.

Great news all around today. Seattle lost. Just a great day.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Great news all around today. Seattle lost. Just a great day.

Actually was pulling for a Seahawks win, but will never complain when their fans deal with an L.

Good day for sure.
[ Edited by SmokeyJoe on Dec 31, 2023 at 4:33 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone