49ers bounce back from consecutive losses with decisive 30-13 win over Patriots →

There are 246 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ers vs GREEN BAY PACKERS - 2023 Season Divisional Round

Shop Find 49ers gear online

SAN FRANCISCO 49ers vs GREEN BAY PACKERS - 2023 Season Divisional Round

Originally posted by ChuckLeavy32:
Did JiAyre Brown play last night? Thought I heard his name but didn't see him.

Kyle said in his post game presser he didn't want to throw a rookie in there with minimal practice
Originally posted by Baldie:
Last night's game didn't put a fear into anyone left in the playoffs though about the niners

We got them where we want them then.
A lot of justified complaints about the defense, especially Ambry Thomas, but things tightened up a lot in the second half. After the 2nd TD, the Pack went INT -> 3/out -> Missed FG -> INT.

Providing some context here as well: obviously the missed FG stands out as a lucky break; that was a 67 yard drive, but 53 of that was on Jones' run. Some missed tackles, most notably on Logan Ryan flying in and whiffing. Take away that chunk run, and GB earned 43 yards total on their final 4 drives.

Hell, throw in the last TD, which was a short field thanks to the kickoff return; they punched it in with some great offensive playcalling, but it was only a 20 yard drive. 63 yards on 20 plays on their final 5 drives, outside the Jones run.

Throw in the slipping and falling down that plagued the team in the first half.

Not saying this was a great defensive showing -- no sacks, Jones had a great day on the ground even without the 53-yarder, consistently failed to set the edge, and of course Ambry Thomas remains a liability -- but the defense made adjustments, clamped down in the 2nd half, and made the plays they needed to make on a day when Purdy's accuracy wavered. The context isn't to try and polish the turd, but to say that there's a strong chance for a defensive rebound next week.
[ Edited by sspiker on Jan 21, 2024 at 7:26 AM ]
Originally posted by sspiker:
A lot of justified complaints about the defense, especially Ambry Thomas, but things tightened up a lot in the second half. After the 2nd TD, the Pack went INT -> 3/out -> Missed FG -> INT.

Providing some context here as well: obviously the missed FG stands out as a lucky break; that was a 67 yard drive, but 53 of that was on Jones' run. Some missed tackles, most notably on Logan Ryan flying in and whiffing. Take away that chunk run, and GB earned 43 yards total on their final 4 drives.

Hell, throw in the last TD, which was a short field thanks to the kickoff return; they punched it in with some great offensive playcalling, but it was only a 20 yard drive. 63 yards on 20 plays on their final 5 drives, outside the Jones run.

Throw in the slipping and falling down that plagued the team in the first half.

Not saying this was a great defensive showing -- no sacks, Jones had a great day on the ground even without the 53-yarder, consistently failed to set the edge, and of course Ambry Thomas remains a liability -- but the defense made adjustments, clamped down in the 2nd half, and made the plays they needed to make on a day when Purdy's accuracy wavered. The context isn't to try and polish the turd, but to say that there's a strong chance for a defensive rebound next week.

Well said. I hope this is a knock the rust off type of game. We're going to see similar attacks from whichever team we play next week.
  • All22
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Hysterikal:
Originally posted by ChuckLeavy32:
Did JiAyre Brown play last night? Thought I heard his name but didn't see him.

Kyle said in his post game presser he didn't want to throw a rookie in there with minimal practice

Especially against all the tricky stuff Lafleur has been running.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I honestly don't understand Shanahan's thinking when he just gives all the snaps to CMC. Why not use Mitchell and Mason to not only give CMC a break but to keep the defense guess. Mitchell seems to be a decent receiver outta the backfield and Mason seems to get break away runs when he's out there.

I was curious to see how Mitchell and/or Mason would do last night with their physical style. Both didn't even get a carry which is kind of crazy. They both run quite a bit different then CMC which like you said can keep the defense guessing a bit more.
Last night's game didn't put a fear into anyone left in the playoffs though about the niners

At this point in the Season no one should fear another team. The stakes are to high.
Originally posted by sspiker:

Other than the Jones run, their offense kinda fell apart after their RT left the game.

Exactly I hope everyone underestimates the entire team / all the players every time 49ers go out there
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by bmvanthiel:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I honestly don't understand Shanahan's thinking when he just gives all the snaps to CMC. Why not use Mitchell and Mason to not only give CMC a break but to keep the defense guess. Mitchell seems to be a decent receiver outta the backfield and Mason seems to get break away runs when he's out there.

I was curious to see how Mitchell and/or Mason would do last night with their physical style. Both didn't even get a carry which is kind of crazy. They both run quite a bit different then CMC which like you said can keep the defense guessing a bit more.

Every team in the playoffs switch it up running the ball, Shanahan needs to stop force feeding CMC like that. And the running game seem to work last night so even more Shanahan should've given snaps to Mitchell and Mason.

Lions weren't scared about anyone to begin with.
Love played well but is over hyped.... he did what I thought he would do, when pressured make mistakes with the ball. We got him twice but should have been more.
Originally posted by riverrunzthruit:
Love played well but is over hyped.... he did what I thought he would do, when pressured make mistakes with the ball. We got him twice but should have been more.

Not overhyped at all. A damn good foundational player given it was his 1st full year as the starter.
I am neither surprised nor disappointed in the game. I told a friend the 9.5-point line was too high. I predicted 3.5 would be closer. That is how it played out.

Aaron Jones and the GB running attack proved to be as good as I thought. Our Edge defenders didn't help things by being unaware of WRs blocking on outside runs. I blame that partially on coaching. LaFleur learned from Shanahan and Kyle demands his receivers block DEs. Our DEs should have been more aware.

GB's interior pressure on passing plays played a big role in Purdy's off-target throws. In his presser, Kyle mentioned "hands in his face" and "vision being blocked by GB's pass rushers." Clark, Wyatt, and Slaton had pressure all night.

Rust and underestimating a quality opponent were the culprits. Kudos to Purdy for earning Kyle's first 4th quarter comeback in 31 tries. A learning experience for all.
I was surprised Love threw it across his body like that with so little time left..I was like, this may not end well for Love here...and boom big play Dre.

I was frustrated with Thomas lol, I had to step away from the game for a while after that PI call that resulted in a TD lol. It seemed all the momentum was going towards GB and was pretty discouraged...but..it's the 49ers
Share 49ersWebzone