There are 304 users in the forums

SAN FRANCISCO 49ers vs GREEN BAY PACKERS - 2023 Season Divisional Round

Shop Find 49ers gear online

SAN FRANCISCO 49ers vs GREEN BAY PACKERS - 2023 Season Divisional Round

Originally posted by sspiker:
A lot of justified complaints about the defense, especially Ambry Thomas, but things tightened up a lot in the second half. After the 2nd TD, the Pack went INT -> 3/out -> Missed FG -> INT.

Providing some context here as well: obviously the missed FG stands out as a lucky break; that was a 67 yard drive, but 53 of that was on Jones' run. Some missed tackles, most notably on Logan Ryan flying in and whiffing. Take away that chunk run, and GB earned 43 yards total on their final 4 drives.

Hell, throw in the last TD, which was a short field thanks to the kickoff return; they punched it in with some great offensive playcalling, but it was only a 20 yard drive. 63 yards on 20 plays on their final 5 drives, outside the Jones run.

Throw in the slipping and falling down that plagued the team in the first half.

Not saying this was a great defensive showing -- no sacks, Jones had a great day on the ground even without the 53-yarder, consistently failed to set the edge, and of course Ambry Thomas remains a liability -- but the defense made adjustments, clamped down in the 2nd half, and made the plays they needed to make on a day when Purdy's accuracy wavered. The context isn't to try and polish the turd, but to say that there's a strong chance for a defensive rebound next week.

This is what I imagine halftime was like...
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:
Originally posted by Montana:
I was surprised Love threw it across his body like that with so little time left..I was like, this may not end well for Love here...and boom big play Dre.

I was frustrated with Thomas lol, I had to step away from the game for a while after that PI call that resulted in a TD lol. It seemed all the momentum was going towards GB and was pretty discouraged...but..it's the 49ers

I think he did that precisely cuz there was so little time left. You have to take chances when down late and little clock remaining. Those aren't chances you normally take.

I thought there was enough time for a game tying FG. But Love seemed to want that game winning TD. Field goal not a guaranteed either but enough time for it.

Run out of bound with about 45 seconds left
[ Edited by qnnhan7 on Jan 21, 2024 at 8:43 AM ]
I was surprised Love threw it across his body like that with so little time left..I was like, this may not end well for Love here...and boom big play Dre.

I was frustrated with Thomas lol, I had to step away from the game for a while after that PI call that resulted in a TD lol. It seemed all the momentum was going towards GB and was pretty discouraged...but..it's the 49ers

I think he did that precisely cuz there was so little time left. You have to take chances when down late and little clock remaining. Those aren't chances you normally take.

He thought he was second coming of Favre with those killer miracle throws at the end of games.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Hehe Internet people

If ya are gunna have JL play like Favre..that is the Favre I would choose:). lol
Originally posted by NYniner85:

Like when Mahomes went full Brock Purdy

I thought there was enough time for a game tying FG. But Love seemed to want that game winning TD. Field goal not a guaranteed either but enough time for it.

Ppl are making too big a deal on this, announcers said openly the rain started back and was just pouring sheets of rain at the end. Worst int of all time, lol whatever. He's down late and is trying to make a play, end of story.
Originally posted by NCommand:
TBF, the odds of him getting a free P.I. there was very high. LOL

Lolol

Ppl are making too big a deal on this, announcers said openly the rain started back and was just pouring sheets of rain at the end. Worst int of all time, lol whatever. He's down late and is trying to make a play, end of story.

Ya Know Russel Wilson INT at the 1 yard line is insulted by this even being challenged as worst INT ever.
Originally posted by Hysterikal:

Ya Know Russel Wilson INT at the 1 yard line is insulted by this even being challenged as worst INT ever.

it's known as recency bias
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame

Yup there was more than enough time with three timeouts to at least get a FG. That was stupid as hell to attempt that throw, especially when the defense knows you have to pass the ball.

But maybe Love and GB's thinking was that if they did get a FG, the 9ers would come right back to tie it again. Aand if they would've completed that pass it would've gave them options to either win it or tie it, instead of straight FG for the tie and OT.

Ambry Thomas needs to learn that you can't wrap your arm around a receiver in the open field and expect to get away with it. He did it twice but that 41 yard PI could have been the back breaker. Third and 15 and they get a 41 yard gain. He had good position and didn't need to do it.

It was a horrible decision. That's the throw you make when its 4th and 18 and youre just desperately trying to make something happen, not when its 1st down and you still have 2 timeouts and nearly a minute to go.

It's not the only time he's done that either, for whatever reason he seems to melt down late in games and throw bad picks.

I'm glad he did it but he has some bad tendencies, including continually throwing off his back foot which is something else that will catch up with him over time.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
It was a horrible decision. That's the throw you make when its 4th and 18 and youre just desperately trying to make something happen, not when its 1st down and you still have 2 timeouts and nearly a minute to go.

It's not the only time he's done that either, for whatever reason he seems to melt down late in games and throw bad picks.

I'm glad he did it but he has some bad tendencies, including continually throwing off his back foot which is something else that will catch up with him over time.

its over confidence in his arm he's gotten away with it on a few plays. Definitely a bad decision

I have no idea, fg ties it..I thought for *certain* they would get the fg. A chunk of time left, 1st and 10..throw it out of bounds..not late, across the body. That was just trying to make the big play but it was the wrong play. I see Purdy throwing that s**t away out of bounds as it should have been. Purdy would not have made a bad decision like that. He knows better. You wanna make a great play but you also wanna protect the football. If it's not there..don't force it, Love was playing like it was 4th down with some kind of desperation throw. Throw it away. Just throw it away lol
[ Edited by Montana on Jan 21, 2024 at 9:12 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Lol we were thinking the same thing. Exactly.
Share 49ersWebzone