LISTEN: The 49ers Super Bowl Hangover Is Real →

There are 222 users in the forums

49ERS vs Lions Pregame thread 2023 Season NFCCG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NCommand:
I agree with the overall premise. This is why John Lynch sold his grandma's soul to the devil to build the most dominate DL possible. Closers.

Goff has always seen ghosts once he starts taking hits. What's the sample size?

I didn't realize they lost both G's. That's brutal. We better pwn them!
Goff will toss a pick or 2. The D will harass him until the middle of the 3rd qtr and he will start looking at the rush, should start going downhill from there. JMHO
Originally posted by Cg9erSF:
I agree with the overall premise. This is why John Lynch sold his grandma's soul to the devil to build the most dominate DL possible. Closers.

Goff will toss a pick or 2. The D will harass him until the middle of the 3rd qtr and he will start looking at the rush, should start going downhill from there. JMHO

100%. I'm on-board BUT isn't that same super dominant line eating up like 48% of our cap massively underperforming? Does very good=48% cap. I love these guys. I am a 9er but they have been off for over a month.
Originally posted by 9erson3:
100%. I'm on-board BUT isn't that same super dominant line eating up like 48% of our cap massively underperforming? Does very good=48% cap. I love these guys. I am a 9er but they have been off for over a month.

Seems like Wilks is more contain than all gas no brakes 🤷‍♂️.

Because for the purposes of this game they didn't. They lost their RG in Week 2 and Glasgow has been starting ever since then and playing at a high level. Their LG is injured but everywhere else their OL is loaded, particularly center and right tackle.

One part of me is like how are we going to stop their run game with Gibbs and Montgomery. Primarily Gibbs. That dude is a special runner. The other part of me thinks we will...somehow. Someway they're going to stop the run. I'm not sure how because it has looked like donkey crap the past few games. They just gotta get it together for 2 games. 2 games to get their swagger back.

I also think people think the 42-10 Niners, 42-19 Niners, the won 11 games by double digits Niners are gone. They just poof up and vanished. I'm praying they make an appearance and mop the floor with the Lions.

I don't typically like to do the A+B=C argument, but the Packers destroyed the Cowboys. We destroyed the Cowboys. Packers-Niners was a tight contest. For this game, we destroyed the Cowboys and the Lions lost (maybe should have barely won) to the Cowboys. Hence why I think we can destroy the Lions.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ruixx:
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
Surpise! totally misreads Kittle's statement & says Niners huddle is now permanently "fractured" after Purdy yelled at McCloud...picks Chiefs over Ravens and to win it all 🤡:

Oh god, even for him.

Like the one thing everyone knows is how tight this Niners squad is. Sit down Nick.

Nick Wright is such a prick. I'm not surprised though. He's been riding Dak's jock all season long. He thought the Cowboys were better than the Niners. We beat them. He thought Philly was better than the Niners. We beat them. He couldn't stop giggling with Baltimore beat us, because he was right for once on his pick. Oh and then he picked Dallas to beat us again in the NFCC game en route to a SB.

Nothing more than a disgruntled employee projecting his Dallas anger onto the 49ers. And what better way to direct his ire than to downplay Brock's season by nitpicking how he played in one or two games.

There's only one solution to this. Kyle needs to draw up the game plans of his life the next two weeks and obliterate Detroit followed by the AFC winner. It won't change Nick's opinions, but the satisfaction for us will be the sleepless nights he has after the Super Bowl
The loss of Hufunga and the offseason loss of Azeez Al-Shaair I think has had a big affect on the run defense. Burks, Brown and Ryan are no where near as talented.
  • DrEll
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Silky:

One part of me is like how are we going to stop their run game with Gibbs and Montgomery. Primarily Gibbs. That dude is a special runner. The other part of me thinks we will...somehow. Someway they're going to stop the run. I'm not sure how because it has looked like donkey crap the past few games. They just gotta get it together for 2 games. 2 games to get their swagger back.

I also think people think the 42-10 Niners, 42-19 Niners, the won 11 games by double digits Niners are gone. They just poof up and vanished. I'm praying they make an appearance and mop the floor with the Lions.

I don't typically like to do the A+B=C argument, but the Packers destroyed the Cowboys. We destroyed the Cowboys. Packers-Niners was a tight contest. For this game, we destroyed the Cowboys and the Lions lost (maybe should have barely won) to the Cowboys. Hence why I think we can destroy the Lions.

The Bucs gave the Lions a pretty good game. The key was putting pressure on Goff. If Wilks decides to play his vanilla schemes, we will get picked apart. If we bring the pressure with some blitz like Bowles was doing it will get into Goff's head. Don't let Goff get comfortable. We win this game comfortably…
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by YACBros85:
Originally posted by thl408:
Originally posted by Heroism:
Why not use CMC like Deebo and put another RB on the field?

Shanny has done it before in the past, but it's not even remotely comparable the what Deebo does to defensive personnel because Mitchell doesn't factor in the pass game the way Deebo does. Also, I think ultimately the greatest effect of having Deebo on the field is it makes DBs tackle, and DBs don't like tackling Deebo.

Its not like its easy to tackle CMC either. Those plays where we have Deebo running across the formation as the ball is snapped makes defenses hesitant because they don't know whether the ball is going to CMC one way or to Deebo going the other way. I absolutely think those plays will work with CMC playing the Deebo role.

Then who plays the CMC role? Yes, the two can be interchangeable, somewhat, but the beauty of the 49er offense is when both are on the field at the same time. That's when defenses face a conundrum on how to defend the 49er offense.

I get that. My point is if we don't have Deebo, we can still run these jet motions and some of the creative stuff Kyle draws up. It seems to me Kyle almost completely abandons things when Deebo isn't on the field. I feel like we can still use some of those Deebo type things even if he isn't on the field because we still have the most versatile players in the NFL on offense. While Mitchell and Mason aren't the receivers that CMC is, they are still solid ball carriers. Those other 2 RB's not having the same receiving skills does not affect plays like the one I mentioned.

Understood. You're just referring to that play in a vacuum and why Kyle won't call it with CMC getting the ball on an end around with Mitchell lined up in the backfield as a RB with Juice. I don't know. What I do know is that it goes beyond just the skillset they each bring.

When it's 21 personnel with CMC and Juice in the backfield and Deebo going into motion to get the handoff, it's a different grouping than Mitchell and Juice in the backfield with CMC going in motion to get the handoff (31 personnel), and defenses will field different personnel because of that difference. Maybe that still doesn't answer your question. In that case, I don't know why Kyle doesn't do that.

I do understand what you are saying from a pure x's & o's standpoint. But it doesn't necessarily mean the play won't work though. My broader point is that Kyle seemed to lose all creativity when Deebo wasn't out on the field this season. I mean, what happened to the easy touches that Aiyuk was getting back in his rookie season? Aiyuk is solid in space. Ray-Ray is the fastest player we have on offense. He ran those jet sweeps last season when Deebo was out. I believe he scored on one in the Commanders game last season.
Originally posted by Silky:

On the run D, gotta put more up on the LOS imo. Dare Goff to beat us downfield. See what happens..

With as banged up the Lions OL is if we can't get to JG it will be a mega failure. So much money on this DL. It's time for them to do something.
The weather played a huge part in the GB game. I rewatched the whole game and the Packers scored twice because of sloppy footing. You take away the 53 yd run by Jones and his avg is about 3.3 yds. Purdy was effected by the wetness and his passing was just a little off. The OL didn't help by allowing pressure up the middle. We still won against all this when we needed to score. The weather is not going to be in the Lions favor so I believe the Niners will win and it's going to be SB here we come!!!!! Time to hunt Lions!!!!! Go Niners
Originally posted by ninersrule4:
With as banged up the Lions OL is if we can't get to JG it will be a mega failure. So much money on this DL. It's time for them to do something.

They have a backup at LG and their C is banged up but he's always banged up so it doesn't change things a whole lot. I'm sure they'll do everything they can to protect the backup LG.

49ers DL is simply going to have to be elite all game long.
Go 49ers!
PFF has the Lions pass defense ranked 29th in coverage and has them ranked 23rd in tackling. ESPN has them ranked 31st allowing 7.8 YPA. PFR has them ranked 23rd allowing 125.5 YAC yards per game. This is perfectly set up for Brock to quiet the doubters. I believe he is going to have a big game.
Share 49ersWebzone