There are 254 users in the forums

49ERS vs Lions Pregame thread 2023 Season NFCCG

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYniner85:
Ragnow hasn't practiced all week

There left guard is likely out as well. This could be a big game for Hargrave.
Originally posted by tankle104:
Yeah, sacks are sexy and we all want them, but they aren't the defining sack of if they've been good or not. There is a lot more to playing DL than sacks. I just would like to see them set edges better in the run game.

last week, the packers were going nuts with their protection. Bosa was chipped and double teamed often. On top of that, They also have a really good pass blocking o line. It hinders their ability in the pass game though, so that still works in our favor.

Love isn't easy to sack. Pressure helped with those TOs
Ragnow hasn't practiced all week

Ragnow has gone an entire seasons without practice because of injuries and still made all pro.
There's the sweet spot

Originally posted by BSofSF:
Chase Young has not been playing like a guy slated for free agency and Bosa has been playing like a guy who got paid. Just sayin'. It's not politically acceptable for a coach to call out his players in public, but this defensive line has been pretty mediocre down the home stretch when they were supposed to be the strength of the entire team. Young got taken out of plays by WRs a few times on Saturday. Big, quality tackles have been handling Bosa for quite some time now. Gregory hasn't done s**t. Armstead's return was supposed to stifle the other team's rushing attack, but to the contrary the Packers gashed us with the run. Hargrave seems to be MIA. These dudes need to step it up. Winning or losing depends on them.

Bosa is second in the NFL in pressures. He's been doing his job just fine. Young ain't the same dude that was at OSU.

The DL overall has been doing their job. No it's not a million sacks but they're consistent getting pressure, which leads to a league high INTs for the team.

I disagree on Bosa. I don't think he's been effective. Lane Johnson totally neutralized him. On Aaron Jones' big run (that could have knocked us out of the playoffs had the Packers competently finished) Young was knocked out by a WR and Bosa was jogging half ass in pursuit. I don't know how they grade pressures, but it seems like another way of saying "not getting there". He was clearly playing at a higher level his rookie year and last year when he won DPOY. We need him to be the game changer his contract says he is, not just grade out well in the nebulous world of PFF.
[ Edited by BSofSF on Jan 25, 2024 at 1:38 PM ]
Originally posted by scooterhd:
Ragnow has gone an entire seasons without practice because of injuries and still made all pro.

He's clearly not close to 100% and that's a good thing for our IDL
There's the sweet spot

If they can get pressure up the middle - Goff is toast. Lol he's trashy on grass, away stadiums, and under pressure.
  • thl408
There's the sweet spot

If they can get pressure up the middle - Goff is toast. Lol he's trashy on grass, away stadiums, and under pressure.

Goff has enough pocket presence to step up into the pocket if he senses edge pressure, but when the pressure is in his face up the middle, he's visibly uncomfortable.
Originally posted by Hopper:
There left guard is likely out as well. This could be a big game for Hargrave.

Their LG is already ruled out. Jackson had meniscus surgery.
Originally posted by BSofSF:
I disagree on Bosa. I don't think he's been effective. Lane Johnson totally neutralized him. On Aaron Jone's big run (that could have knocked us out of the playoffs had the the Packers competently finished) Young was knocked out by a WR and Bosa was jogging half ass in pursuit. I don't know how they grade pressures, but it seems like another way of saying "not getting there". He was clearly playing at a higher level his rookie year and last year when he won DPOY. We need him to be the game changer his contract says he is, not just grade out well in the nefarious world of PFF.

Pay attention to the defensive scheme vs Philly. The plan was to keep hurts in the pocket and force him to be a QB. It wasn't about sacking him. It WORKED and was the game plan for everyone going forward vs Philly. You saw the results.

Pressuring the QB is NOT just a PFF stat…any coach/player will tell you consistent pressure is more important than getting a sack.
[ Edited by NYniner85 on Jan 25, 2024 at 1:39 PM ]

Hes never close to 100%. Dude is like Iupati, permanently dinged up but he still plays. He's going to be paying for it later on in life but he's ultra dependable now.
Originally posted by thl408:
There's the sweet spot

Goff has enough pocket presence to step up into the pocket if he senses edge pressure, but when the pressure is in his face up the middle, he's visibly uncomfortable.

I'm certain they will try to establish the run. Need to make sure we stop their run attack.
Originally posted by scooterhd:

I dont disagree. The thing is, he hasnt been 100% for years. He didnt get injured this week, he got injured in the game and still played well against Vita. He had knee surgery in December, missed one week and came back playing at an all pro level. Hes been on the injury report every single week this year. And every single week last year. He has chronic toe issues, I think considered non operable and he guts it out every game and plays well. So yes, less than 100% is a good thing for us, but I wouldnt expect his actual performance to be any worse then any other week of his.
LOL David tepper bought the panthers in 2018 and has SEVEN head coaches. Jesus. Jets and panthers have the worst record in football over that stretch.

thank god for Jed, Kyle, and Lynch
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Hes never close to 100%. Dude is like Iupati, permanently dinged up but he still plays. He's going to be paying for it later on in life but he's ultra dependable now.

I agree, watching that game last week he was clearly in substantial pain though.
Share 49ersWebzone